Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information on visiting Idaho. Goal is to visit every state so I'm planning that part of the country for later this summer.

I'd be flying into SLC Utah and the first major destination would be Yellowstone. The part of Idaho comes towards the end of the trip. I'd be coming from Montana.

Question is if I'm looking for a nice drive/scenic/interesting places to stop at. Should I go down on the East part of Idaho (Idaho Falls) or West part (Boise). Twin Falls would likely be the destination when I get to the south part of Idaho. After that I'd be venturing into Nevada until I get to I80. Then I'd take that back to SLC.

When looking at google maps it seems that the Boise route is more rural/mountains. That's not a deal breaker but at the same time if it meant driving on a boring route for many hours I'm not sure I'd enjoy that if the Idaho Falls route was more enjoyable.

Any advice/tips/suggestions are very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 02:31 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
As someone who lives in the eastern side of the state, if mountainous two-lane roads are not a problem, then I would say the western side is better than the eastern The eastern is rather flat. Would not call it boring, since to me states like Ohio, IN IL are boring and flat.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:59 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
It seems to me you'll cover SE Idaho (Idaho Falls) coming up from SLC to Yellowstone. If you plan on getting into the park near Jackson Hole, the drive form Idaho Falls taking the canyon route IMO is beautiful. If planning on getting intothe the park from West Yellowstone, it yet again gorgeous going up through Ashton from IF.

That would cover SE Idaho, freeing you up to head towards western Idaho after dropping down from MT.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
It seems to me you'll cover SE Idaho (Idaho Falls) coming up from SLC to Yellowstone. If you plan on getting into the park near Jackson Hole, the drive form Idaho Falls taking the canyon route IMO is beautiful. If planning on getting intothe the park from West Yellowstone, it yet again gorgeous going up through Ashton from IF.

That would cover SE Idaho, freeing you up to head towards western Idaho after dropping down from MT.
This is helpful.

Jackson Hole is actually a town that a friend told me to check out so it's marked on my map as a place to stop.

You mention getting into the park by Ashton. Looking at the map I think that would be to far north. I'd like to be into WY before that part of Idaho. That would literally just leave YNP to see in WY. I'd like to venture into WY a little bit before the park just to see how life is compared to where I live (busy suburb).

The idea of going north towards Idaho Falls is appealing to me but the only concern I'd have is looking at the map. If I leave SLC and head to Idaho Falls I'd be driving north west slightly as opposed to going up route 89 in WY.

And then it looks like I'd have to go from Idaho Falls to route 26 which takes me south to 89 or it looks like another route called 31 which would bring me into Jackson Hole.

Between slightly going NW and then south again over to Jackson Hole vs 89. I just wonder if that would add more hours than I can spare.

That's still gives me something to think about though and that way I could come down from Montana on the west side of Idaho.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:51 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,807 times
My suggestion if you want to see a little more of Wyoming is to go east along 26. There's a great rest stop that overlooks the Snake River that is very pretty about 30 minutes outside of Idaho Falls. Then the route will follow the snake river and you can see Osprey nests at the top of the power lines along the Palisades reservoir that is shared between Idaho and Wyoming.

Once you get into Wyoming there's a beautiful town called Alpine that has some great food, super cute stores, and gorgeous views from every angle, it borders the Palisades, and the Snake River, Salt River, and Grey's River merge there.

Then you would take 89 along Snake River Canyon up into Jackson. It's a beautiful drive, lots of pull outs where you can stop and take pictures. It follows the snake river the entire time, and leads you right into Jackson.

I highly recommend this route over the West Yellowstone one.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
My suggestion if you want to see a little more of Wyoming is to go east along 26. There's a great rest stop that overlooks the Snake River that is very pretty about 30 minutes outside of Idaho Falls. Then the route will follow the snake river and you can see Osprey nests at the top of the power lines along the Palisades reservoir that is shared between Idaho and Wyoming.

Once you get into Wyoming there's a beautiful town called Alpine that has some great food, super cute stores, and gorgeous views from every angle, it borders the Palisades, and the Snake River, Salt River, and Grey's River merge there.

Then you would take 89 along Snake River Canyon up into Jackson. It's a beautiful drive, lots of pull outs where you can stop and take pictures. It follows the snake river the entire time, and leads you right into Jackson.

I highly recommend this route over the West Yellowstone one.
Thanks.

So I noticed there is a 26 in Idaho & WY? You're referring just to Idaho correct? The idea of "pull outs" during the drive is a big plus and is the type of things I look for.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:50 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks.

So I noticed there is a 26 in Idaho & WY? You're referring just to Idaho correct? The idea of "pull outs" during the drive is a big plus and is the type of things I look for.
It is US 26,so it runs through Idaho and Wyoming.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
This is helpful.

Jackson Hole is actually a town that a friend told me to check out so it's marked on my map as a place to stop.

You mention getting into the park by Ashton. Looking at the map I think that would be to far north. I'd like to be into WY before that part of Idaho. That would literally just leave YNP to see in WY. I'd like to venture into WY a little bit before the park just to see how life is compared to where I live (busy suburb).

The idea of going north towards Idaho Falls is appealing to me but the only concern I'd have is looking at the map. If I leave SLC and head to Idaho Falls I'd be driving north west slightly as opposed to going up route 89 in WY.

And then it looks like I'd have to go from Idaho Falls to route 26 which takes me south to 89 or it looks like another route called 31 which would bring me into Jackson Hole.

Between slightly going NW and then south again over to Jackson Hole vs 89. I just wonder if that would add more hours than I can spare.

That's still gives me something to think about though and that way I could come down from Montana on the west side of Idaho.
Nope.
Island Park, the territory between Ashton and W. Yellowstone, is a large tourist destination in its own right, and a very popular location for cabins and vacation homes.

Most of the traffic into the park that comes from the southwest actually goes through the West Yellowstone entrance. It's a much larger entrance point than some of the others, and always has been, mostly because it's so accessible.

W. Yellowstone is about a 90-minute to 2 hour drive northward from Idaho Falls, depending on the traffic on U.S.20. 20 is a main arterial from Idaho Falls into Montana, and is a 4-lane northward as far as Rexburg, built to handle the traffic.

Personally, I think your best choice in a loop drive would be to either skip Jackson Hole and enter the park from W. Yellowstone, or to re-route your driving plans to make the Yellowstone visit one of the last events of your vacation.
This would allow you to go from Yellowstone into Teton Natl. Park, as they abut, and you'll end up in Idaho Falls after leaving Jackson Hole.

I'm a native, so I probably have a different take on Jackson Hole, but while I find the view of the Teton mountain range from the Jackson side very scenic and majestic, Jackson Hole to me is now a tourist town that's over-choked year round, and is more like Vale than the colorful old Jackson Hole I once knew as a kid.

So I'll leave the park by the Teton entrance once in a while, but I don't spend much time in Jackson any more. But you may enjoy the town a lot. It's simply not the same as it was before it became so nationally famous.

Either way, you will be traveling through a lot of very pretty country.
Island Park is at the top of an enormous ancient caldera, a volcano that blew it's top a billion years ago, and the other route will take you through Swan Valley, by way of the Palisades. A totally different but equally beautiful alpine countryside.

Plan for some extra time if you fish. The South Fork of the Snake river is the best trout fishery in the west, I think, from the Palisades Dam south to Idaho Falls. It's impossible to fish more than a short stretch of it because the river twists and turns so much, but it's where the big fish lurk.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Nope.
Island Park, the territory between Ashton and W. Yellowstone, is a large tourist destination in its own right, and a very popular location for cabins and vacation homes.

Most of the traffic into the park that comes from the southwest actually goes through the West Yellowstone entrance. It's a much larger entrance point than some of the others, and always has been, mostly because it's so accessible.

W. Yellowstone is about a 90-minute to 2 hour drive northward from Idaho Falls, depending on the traffic on U.S.20. 20 is a main arterial from Idaho Falls into Montana, and is a 4-lane northward as far as Rexburg, built to handle the traffic.

Personally, I think your best choice in a loop drive would be to either skip Jackson Hole and enter the park from W. Yellowstone, or to re-route your driving plans to make the Yellowstone visit one of the last events of your vacation.
This would allow you to go from Yellowstone into Teton Natl. Park, as they abut, and you'll end up in Idaho Falls after leaving Jackson Hole.

I'm a native, so I probably have a different take on Jackson Hole, but while I find the view of the Teton mountain range from the Jackson side very scenic and majestic, Jackson Hole to me is now a tourist town that's over-choked year round, and is more like Vale than the colorful old Jackson Hole I once knew as a kid.

So I'll leave the park by the Teton entrance once in a while, but I don't spend much time in Jackson any more. But you may enjoy the town a lot. It's simply not the same as it was before it became so nationally famous.

Either way, you will be traveling through a lot of very pretty country.
Island Park is at the top of an enormous ancient caldera, a volcano that blew it's top a billion years ago, and the other route will take you through Swan Valley, by way of the Palisades. A totally different but equally beautiful alpine countryside.

Plan for some extra time if you fish. The South Fork of the Snake river is the best trout fishery in the west, I think, from the Palisades Dam south to Idaho Falls. It's impossible to fish more than a short stretch of it because the river twists and turns so much, but it's where the big fish lurk.
What are you saying "nope" too?

And your idea on hitting YNP last on the trip isn't out of the question. I'm flexible like that I just think it's natural to go right for me lol

I'm probably be picking hotels as I feel the need so I won't have any thing preventing me from staying somewhere longer. I like going on trips where I can just find a hotel at random depending on when I want to stop driving.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
What are you saying "nope" too?

And your idea on hitting YNP last on the trip isn't out of the question. I'm flexible like that I just think it's natural to go right for me lol

I'm probably be picking hotels as I feel the need so I won't have any thing preventing me from staying somewhere longer. I like going on trips where I can just find a hotel at random depending on when I want to stop driving.
I said 'nope' in a general way. Part of the things you wrote were mistaken, and other parts were backwards to the way I thought they should be.

It would be good to have some hotel reservations in some areas, I think; it would depend on your route, the time span of the planned trip, and other factors.

Idaho Falls sees about 3 million tourists passing through town every tourist season. While not all of them stay here, many do of course. The number varies from year to year and varies from month to month.

But tourism is becoming increasingly a year-round thing in this area. Winter tourism, where folks can go adventuring on snowmobiles is a fast growing part of the tourist economy here. (Especially in Island Park, where the snow abounds without as many restrictions as in the national parks.)

It would pay you to make your plans carefully, without assuming much until you have some confirmation of your assumptions coming from a local source, and ask lots of questions.

You've done a pretty good job so far, but until your itinerary is firm, keep as much open and loose as possible so when everything is firm, you won't have some bad surprises once here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho