Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 11:39 AM

129 posts, read 332,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If you have two homes in two states, the only way to get an Idaho license is by living here for the majority of the year ;270 days of 365. (Per Idaho DMV)

As pointed out, firearms and long arms are scarce here! Then if you do find what you like/want you won't finda the ammofor for a year.

I'm an instructor and we're anticipating lower classes due to no ammo.
ammo is never coming back to the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 11:41 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
ammo is never coming back to the stores.
It will in time.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:38 PM

705 posts, read 505,478 times
You have to establish residence in Idaho. 6 months and a day. Just owning property means nothing to your California overlords.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/faqs/ca...ivers-license/

But a person is definitively considered a resident of California if he or she:

Registers to vote,
Pays resident tuition,
Files for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or
Obtains any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents

Old 03-24-2021, 03:00 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
You have to establish residence in Idaho. 6 months and a day.

Six months and a day to establish a driver's license in IDAHO? NO! In fact I believe you have to register for a license within 90 days of residency. I applied for my license the second week I lived here!

Old 03-24-2021, 09:04 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Six months and a day to establish a driver's license in IDAHO? NO!

Not fora driver's license, but for other things. Six months before you can get a resident's hunting and fishing license. At least six months before you get in-state college tuition.

I do not know whether you need residency or just a local driver's license in order to buy guns, but I suppose it is possible.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:04 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I do not know whether you need residency or just a local driver's license in order to buy guns, but I suppose it is possible.
Just the DL.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-24-2021, 07:14 PM

129 posts, read 332,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

It was a bit of a pain to get my first regular license, (was a CA resident - later on, after moving here, I got the enhanced license). As a non-resident, you have to submit your application, pay your fees, and get fingerprinted. Once approved, and only then, you have to return to get your picture taken that will appear on the license. Two trips! Yup. When you come back for your picture, they will give you a temporary paper license until your "real" permit is created. They will mail that one to you.
Thanks you've been very helpful I'm going to drive up to Idaho Thursday I will be there Thursday Friday Saturday I have to drive home Sunday after I complete my course on Saturday will I be able to mail in my application or does that have to be done in person

Old 03-24-2021, 10:14 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
Thanks you've been very helpful I'm going to drive up to Idaho Thursday I will be there Thursday Friday Saturday I have to drive home Sunday after I complete my course on Saturday will I be able to mail in my application or does that have to be done in person
In person because you have to be fingerprinted.

Be advised that the office that accepts applications may not be open when you appear. The Kootenai County office is only open two days a week, (or used to be that way). Go to the CWL page of the county to which you are applying. They will have the forms, as well as when they accept applications and what the procedure will be. Go there first!

I downloaded the forms and filled them out on my computer. Looks "professional", and I'd bet the processor appreciates the "neat handwriting".

- - -

edited to add: I'm not totally sure about mail-in or in-person. UT, AZ, and FL were mail-in. I just went to a local agency that created the fingerprint card. Maybe ID will accept that method. Check with the county web site to make sure.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-26-2021, 07:47 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I only know Kootenai County, and we now have a new Sheriff, (but he has stated that he supports Second Amendment rights). You can indeed obtain a regular or an enhanced CWL, (Concealed Weapons License), as a non-resident. And it will show your California address. It will NOT allow you to purchase firearms in Idaho.
i can confirm (in another county) that this is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If you have two homes in two states, the only way to get an Idaho license is by living here for the majority of the year ;270 days of 365. (Per Idaho DMV)

As pointed out, firearms and long arms are scarce here! Then if you do find what you like/want you won't finda the ammofor for a year.

I'm an instructor and we're anticipating lower classes due to no ammo.
This is what we ended up doing. Spend more time in ID and become residents. There really is no reason to hold onto your CA DL

Old 03-27-2021, 02:38 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not fora driver's license, but for other things. Six months before you can get a resident's hunting and fishing license. At least six months before you get in-state college tuition.

DID I NOT SAY....DRIVER'S LICENSE? DID I SAY A THING ABOUT A HUNTING/FISHING LICENSE OR IN-STATE COLLEGE TUITION?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: