Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 09:13 PM

557 posts, read 424,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I recently read Idaho got 24,000 new residents in 2020.

In a state of only 2 million, that's a big addition.
Breakout on where they came from? Also, does that article say how many LEFT Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 09:37 PM

10,959 posts, read 5,647,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
California is a huge state with 40 million people. Even if it was just 1% of the state moving here a year, it would be 400,000 (2x the population of Boise) migration annually. My educated guess would be that middle class families that are moving to to Idaho for a better quality of living. The coastal elites will not be migrating to places like Idaho. Maybe Seattle or Portland, but not Idaho. I've heard plenty of conversations where they thumb their nose to it, thinking it's backward right-wing people there. There is no coastline, and winters are too harsh for their taste.
A lot of California Millenials are flooding Boise. They are not coastal elites but not Conservatives either. They like a lot about California except the cost, and are happy to bring the California cesspool with them.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:38 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,863,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...3-c54fd7f4e3c4

COMPASS estimates that the Boise Metropolitan Area's population increased by nearly 24,000 people this past year. The population estimates for only Ada and Canyon Counties is now around 762,000. This number does not include the population growth of the other counties that make up the Metro Area.

In 2019, the Boise-Mountain Home-Ontario CSA population was near 812,000. With this kind of growth the CSA population is knocking on the 1,000,000 mark sooner than later.
Quote:
I recently read Idaho got 24,000 new residents in 2020.

In a state of only 2 million, that's a big addition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Breakout on where they came from? Also, does that article say how many LEFT Idaho?
banjomike, the 24,000 is the estimate for the Boise area. It isn't for the entire state. The increase for the state as a whole will be probably double this amount but we will know for sure when the official census numbers come out.

Mister Torgue, that info will also most likely be available after the census numbers are released. Regardless, Idaho is one of the fastest growing states in the nation, so the number of people who moved in will be more than the number who moved out or died.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:30 AM

628 posts, read 813,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A lot of California Millennials are flooding Boise. They are not coastal elites but not Conservatives either. They like a lot about California except the cost, and are happy to bring the California cesspool with them.
So then this is basically the same thing that happened to Portland 20 years ago...

Old 04-22-2021, 03:55 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,202,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
banjomike, the 24,000 is the estimate for the Boise area. It isn't for the entire state. The increase for the state as a whole will be probably double this amount but we will know for sure when the official census numbers come out.

Mister Torgue, that info will also most likely be available after the census numbers are released. Regardless, Idaho is one of the fastest growing states in the nation, so the number of people who moved in will be more than the number who moved out or died.
Thanks for the correction, Syringaloid.

Whatever the total amount may be, it's a big number, by far the biggest in my lifetime.
So many people immigrating is bound to bring huge changes to Idaho.

I sure can't make any predictions, except that I think our smaller communities- the little towns like Downey, Jerome, Athol, Cambridge, and all the others- are going to be the ones that will be the most affected by this influx.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:29 PM

6,341 posts, read 7,697,984 times
Quote:
I sure can't make any predictions, except that I think our smaller communities- the little towns like Downey, Jerome, Athol, Cambridge, and all the others- are going to be the ones that will be the most affected by this influx.
I don't know about the others because they are in a different part of the state. Athol is in my neighborhood and I go through it frequently, being the gateway to my favorite place in NID, Farragut State Park. Currently, I don't see Athol going down that road. Either developers have not discovered it yet, probably because it is just a tad too far from "the circus", (my name for CdA/Hayden/Post Falls), or it is unincorporated and subject to the much larger lot sizes and lower density housing that the county mandates, either making it unattractive for developers.

- - - - -

Correction: Athol is indeed an incorporated city. Must be a different reason for it not growing as rapidly as other cities in NID.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-22-2021, 05:45 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,258,981 times
Athol is also hard to say without sounding like you have a potato in your mouth.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Athol is also hard to say without sounding like you have a potato in your mouth.
A buddy lives in Firth.
Try saying First in Firth fast 5 times....

Old 04-22-2021, 09:30 PM

Here's something interesting...
Bahoy this, Idaho may not have as many newcomers as was thought.

https://www.nar.realtor/blogs/econom...f-the-pandemic

The net immigration, the incoming vs. the outgoing, was a whopping 65 people.

I've always known folks move away quite often, but from this report, it appears a lot more moved out than I ever thought about.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:32 PM

10,959 posts, read 5,647,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
So then this is basically the same thing that happened to Portland 20 years ago...
It is a race between conservatives and Millenials. We won’t know until 20 years from now, looking back in hindsight, whether conservatives dominated the in-migration or whether the Millenials did. We will just have to keep an eye on each presidential election year — 2024, 2028, 2032, 2036, & etc., and see if the GOP vote is trending up or if the DemocRat vote is trending up. But the potential is very much there for Boise to go the way of Portland, and then drag the rest of Idaho blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho