Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times

Advertisements

One thing that bears mentioning, especially retirees who are looking at Salmon, is the air quality. When there's a forest fire in the area, Salmon often gets very smoky and can stay that way for long periods.

The fires are unpredictable, of course, and years may pass with none at all in the area, but the air was opaque for a while there last summer. Fires can make any city's air quality poor in Idaho, but Salmon is often slower to flush the air than other, more exposed, cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,165 times
So true Mike, the fires from 2 years ago were horrendous and anyone with respiratory ailments may want to factor that in to their decision.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
I would say snow is a dusting in the months of October maybe even some of November, on average in December we would get up to 3-6 in the valley but in the higher elevations of the mountains is where the significant snow is as in several feet through out the winter but the valley is rarely more than 6 inches at a time, it is possible for it to snow all the way thru May, it has on occasion but as in flurries most snow stops by March or early April, average snow fall is about 15 inches in the town area, it can increase as you would head north on 93 toward North Fork and Gibbonsville, they are very near Lost Trail Pass going over into Montana, now the cold there can be hard to bare at times, it is not unusual from November to February to be in the teens or single digits, we use to get a cold snap in January for a week to 3 weeks of below zero, in 2008 it was -25 for 2 weeks straight in 2010 it was -13 for about a month so it is hard to say for sure as the weather does as it pleases, but everything else you stated is true of the area, the people are awesome the town spirit is amazing, we unfortunately had to move to North Idaho a few years ago due to work transfer or we would still be there, it is that kind of town you don't want to leave once you are adjusted. Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can assist in any way!
Thank you, that's very helpful. And, certainly, I understand the air quality problems forest fires can cause. I know you had horrible fires last year, but is that a typical problem in the area?

Also, I understand there are some small communities around Shoup that are welcoming of people with skills. Is that true?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNDRMR View Post
Thank you, that's very helpful. And, certainly, I understand the air quality problems forest fires can cause. I know you had horrible fires last year, but is that a typical problem in the area?

Also, I understand there are some small communities around Shoup that are welcoming of people with skills. Is that true?
The fires are unpredictable, but in general, a hot dry spring becomes a hotter, drier summer, and that's when the chances of a fire are at the greatest. Whether Salmon gets socked in or not also depends on the location, if there is a fire, the prevailing winds, and many other factors.

Here in Idaho Falls, which is on the edge of the Snake River plain, one would think forest fire smoke wouldn't be a problem, because I.F. is pretty open and exposed, but we have gotten some thick smoke sometimes that can drift from as far away as the Boise area. The wind, or lack of it, can make all the difference.

The smokiest I can remember was the summer of 1988, when Yellowstone blew up, and most of that smoke was carried over the Great Divide to get here. The sun was purple for almost 60 days that year from the smoke.

Sorry- I've been through Shoup, but I don't know much about what's going on there. It's tiny, and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. As I recall, there's only an all-purpose building-store, post office, gas station- there and possibly, a bar/cafe. But it's been a while.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM

276 posts, read 643,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNDRMR View Post
I could be wrong, but I think small communities around Shoup are called campsites.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
I could be wrong, but I think small communities around Shoup are called campsites.
Exactly, there are no communities to speak of around Shoup, it is a very rugged and isolated area where mines use to be years ago, but there is a few outfitters set up in the area in the spring and summer which may need to hire people for certain skills. You are approximately an hour and a half to two from Salmon and a short distance to North Fork and Gibbonsville.

The fires are never predictable, but I would say at least every other year smoke at the end of summer and into fall can be pretty bad. I personally think it is a matter of what you can live with and can't, it never bothered us enough to not want to live there.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,847 times
What other jobs or places to find jobs are there in Salmon? What about crime, safety?how about houses for rent and priced?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:54 PM

Gingersadie, The only other jobs in Salmon are restaurants, the clinic and hospital, there is a nursing home always looking for cna's and clerk jobs at gas stations and shops, and ranches other than that there really isn't much else here for work unless you have skills like dental assistant or teacher or real estate it is more of a tourist town. The crime is almost nill except a few bar brawls but nothing serious mostly theft and the rent is reasonable as in a 2 to 3 bed around 425.00 to 650.00 Most of the men looking for work went to N. Dakota and their families stayed back, it is pretty oppresed for work but hopefully more businesses open up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho