Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a good spot in Idaho to go camping. I don't want a campground, I want to find a spot out of the way to set up. I know the area around Stanley pretty well, and will most likely head up that way, which would be fine. But I want to exhaust all options. I don't want to go to a resort or crowded area like Donnely, McCall, or anywhere in Blaine County. I need the drive to be less than three hours. I just need to find a secluded area for me and some buddies to let loose.

A place with good fishing where a boat isn't required would be a huge plus. I know of good fishing on the Salmon river, but am wondering about other places. I don't know how to fly fish either, so those kinds of places are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:15 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
Justin take a look at Lake Alturus on the way up to Redfish lake area.
There was a campground but there was no other campers in it last June when we were there.
Bank fishing caught us a few trout and wolves came down from the hills at night and made me hide in the trailer.
Nice place with lots of primitive camps at the far end.
Don't know how bad the snow is this year, maybe you should check before you leave.

Good luck
Desertryder

Old 05-23-2008, 01:55 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,379 times
Default Camping in Salmon

There are several areas along 93 North and 28 that you can pull in and camp near the river, some are in designated areas but do not have more than 2 or 3 sites. Here is a link to a site that gives details w/ directions, and we are only around 105 miles from Stanley. Hope this helps you. Salmon Area | Idaho Camping Sites

Beth

Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Thanks all, anyone know about Featherville?

Old 05-28-2008, 03:16 PM

35 posts, read 240,332 times
Some good spots on the Lochsa and Selway Rivers, most secluded fee free spots on the main river are hard to get July-August, but you can easily get away from the crowds if you head up the side roads. Also lots of hidden gems Between the Middle Fork and North Fork of the Clearwater, seclusion and good small stream trout fishing if you spend some time looking. Most tourist and summer campers stick to the main rivers and attractions, and don't venture vary far on the maze of old logging roads in the Clearwater Mountains. Get a Clearwater National forest map and a Nezperce National Forest map and explore, you will find what you are after.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 PM

44 posts, read 163,861 times
Check out this site: Search for Backcountry Hot Spots by State

The site is all member submitted outdoor spots. It's kind of like trails.com, but most members give better descriptions than the "guide book" type descriptions on trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho