U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 AM

108 posts, read 165,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
Quite funny because in my boarding school it was mostly people from california, we had a person in my program from Inglewood that would constantly have to check people at the local high school for calling him N*gger right to his face(not to mention people he has never met), of coarse they aren't used to people from larger cities that are ready to fight at all times for the slightest bit of disrespect, not to mention for racial slurs. I have never been to a place in California that anyone would straight up walk up to a person they have never met and call them n*gger for no reason whatsoever. This was the same case for what happen with some Hispanics in my program.

Even when a person in my boarding school was from North Carolina, he was a homosexual and people at the local school or the football games would walk right up to him and say "are you a f-ing ***?(With a extremely rude infliction)"(yet again extremely rude and intolerant), funny thing was is he was 6' 3 and from a larger city from the south and knew how to fight and they were surprised when he would beat them up for disrespecting him. The prejudice of this was if he is gay then we can just tease him just for that. Is this the kind of tolerance that you are talking about because I am not really seeing the picture.

I lived in Idaho for a full year and I saw these things happen with my own eyes, these kinds of situations happen all of the time. I don't really know about all of Idaho but in this town there was also a big thing against people from California. Always trying to complain about how we are all moving to Idaho, its like I am in a boarding school chill out. I am here against my will. And stop complaining anyway about the whole California thing we weren't always 36 million people and we don't have super reproduction power we just have a lot of people moving in. We didn't say hey stop coming in you are ruining are State. Closed Minded if you ask me, If you guys are all about its a free country, but Californians can't move in its not fair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ▒etrdsg43 View Post
That's usually the case, due to the mainstream media, but when there's a lot of diversity, everybody retreats into their own ethnic enclaves because nobody likes anybody else. Take it from me -- I live in Los Angeles and I'm so sick of diversity I'd love to move where everybody's the same ethnicity as me and I never have to see anybody else ever again. Trust me on this -- you people would all feel the same way.
I'm with you on that. There's so much hypersensitivity on this subject that it has become very difficult to have a simple conversation with anyone of a different ethnicity, especially if you don't know the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 AM

2,759 posts, read 5,908,488 times
And I understand that RLangBen may have had these experiences. The issue I have is that anecdotes aren't "evidence" of a theory, they just color one's perception. If you look at things like racially motivated crimes, if RLangBen is correct, then NID must be hell for the handful of black, hispanic, and asian residents. Golly...they're outnumbered 500 to 1 so they must cower in their homes at night waiting for the next attack, right?

But this is wrong. Not only do we not see hate crimes up here (and they'd be reported in the paper...EVERYTHING is reported in the paper since it's slow life up here), but the general cultural homogeny tends to have most people talking the same way, driving the same cars, etc. Cultural homogeny doesn't lend itself to a lot of racial friction.

Would a black guy who looks like a banger get hassled here? Absolutely. Would a hispanic guy in baggies and a wife beater with a shaved head get hassled? Probably. But then again, yesterday at city beach there was some wannabe "gansta" white kids in a lowered import car hanging out (WA plates, and a Spokane sticker on the window), and the cops jammed them. But there I go with anecdotal stories, not evidence.

I'm HAPPY that you find California so racially accepting. As a cop in SoCal, my experience was 180 degrees opposite to yours, and this was reinforced daily, year after year. And as a white cop, I only bore a small portion of the brunt of it. Usually it was the people I was trying to help, hurling racial slurs at each other. So whatever region you live in....I strongly suggest you STAY THERE and enjoy the bliss.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 06-19-2008, 02:23 PM

95 posts, read 212,692 times
Small towns mostly have the same mind set, they like to be sheltered from the rest of the world. I don't even understand why anyone would want to live in such a bland whitewashed town anyway.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
Then you haven't been to Southern California lately. I hear it all the time. I went to an inner city high school (roughly 70% black) and that's how most of the black students addressed each other! Heard it again in college. Hear it on the streets, on mass transit, etc. I worked as a custodian in college and thats how many of my hispanic co-workers referred to black people. Don't give me the "its ok between themselves" line either. If the word is derogatory, it's derogatory!
The "a" and the "er" at the end of the word make a huge difference, as I am surprised that someone who grew up in California doesn't know the difference.

I wasn't saying I have never heard the word in California (hahaha) I was saying I have never seen a white person walk up to a black person they have never met and just start calling him N*gger(notice the er) for no reason what so ever.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:24 PM

108 posts, read 165,075 times
Quote:
The "a" and the "er" at the end of the word make a huge difference, as I am surprised that someone who grew up in California doesn't know the difference.

I wasn't saying I have never heard the word in California (hahaha) I was saying I have never seen a white person walk up to a black person they have never met and just start calling him N*gger(notice the er) for no reason what so ever.
I didn't notice the difference because there is no difference. Whether it's "a" or "er" it means the same thing. Do you honestly expect me to believe that if a non-black person uses the "a" instead of "er" to a black person it wouldn't be taken to mean the same thing?

Yeah, I grew up in California but I guess I'm just one of those "intolerant" ones that refuses to excuse bad behavior no matter who it comes from.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 PM

2,759 posts, read 5,908,488 times
Quote:
Small towns mostly have the same mind set, they like to be sheltered from the rest of the world. I don't even understand why anyone would want to live in such a bland whitewashed town anyway.
You're sure we're talking about Sandpoint IDAHO?

It's a resort town...with people from all over the country (and probably 2/3 are ex-Californians)...and the town tries hard to be fairly cosmopolitan with a film festival and many arts-related endeavors drawing people from outside.

I don't mean to be rude...really...but I'm just speechless....I could swear you were locked in a room the whole time you were here...unless maybe it was 20-30 years ago before all the folks I know moved here...

If you don't mind my asking, were you perhaps one of the kids sent to one of those lockdown camps for incorrigibles they have out here in Idaho, where they come into Sandpoint on buses to ski at Schweitzer when they earn good behavior passes? 'Cause that's what I'm hearing from you...so I'm curious which school you attended so we can get some perspective on your social environment when you were here...

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM

I was in Glacier Mountain Academy
Yes it is a boarding school were we lived in a group home, but we went to the local High school Sand point High. This is were i experience most of the things I was talking about. Were as most of the California prejudice I experience at the ski lifts. They are all friendly until you mention were you grew up and are from.

And I was there for 1 year, for months I was placed in GMA house were you are limited to school and the local gym as well as the mountain. But once you proved to the program you were ready (for me around 5 months) you can be placed in the smaller t house (only you and one other person in the program)or transitional house were you are allowed to go out and have people over. Once you are at the Transitional house you are also allowed home visits.(at the time my home town was San Rafael, CA) Im not saying all of the Sandpoint was bad, there is some really nice down to earth people that live there.

I have to say I have never seen so many trucks in my life, every ones like "fords better than chevy," then "no chevys better ford". Im like no it is all about german engineering Audi,BMW,Mercedes, haha I got some strange looks. But anyway In terms of education i found it very far behind for a public school, In junior English we were reading books that were freshman books I have already read in my public school in California. My Bio 2 class was more like my classes I took in Junior high.

Last edited by RLangben; 06-19-2008 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 05:48 PM

1,043 posts, read 2,162,820 times
WOW.. I wish I could get as fired up about California as this guy. I havent seen any redeeming value in living in this state for a long time.. If its not illegal, it will cost you or soon be illegal, the education here is horrible, health care horrible, taxes on things you didnt even know could be taxed, nobody speaks english anymore, the state works against business, house farms full of foreclosures as far as the eye can see, crime is REDICULOUS, and its dangerous just about anywhere you go.

I have been to NID numerous times over the last 10 years, and I love it more everytime I go. I cant WAIT to blow this taco stand, and live a FREE, Safe, HAPPY life in North Iaho. Now I have to go and move a stack of wood for the fireplace, and hide it so I dont get charged with "Stockpiling Wood" I S*&%t you not, you can be fined for storing firewood, and can be fined for burning wood in a fireplace. Oh and yer neighbor can turn you in and get paid for doing it...
Yep California is the place to be.....................................NOT

Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 PM

Some people like small towns with not much to do and not much money to make but hey the living costs are low and land is cheap so it all kind of evens out.

Some people like larger cities with lots to do with high living costs but hey you make more money so it all evens out.

I really don't care one way or the other All I am saying is I think Idaho is plenty dull and that is not my style of living, if you would prefer to live the simple life great for you guys.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,433,604 times
Side note here:

Within the 'Hispanic' community there can be quite a bit of racism as well....

The standard of beauty in both Mexico and Spain is white skin and blue eyes.

Spain I can understand being it is almost pure White but Mexico? If I were a Mestizo; I would be both hurt and offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho