Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 09:10 AM

14 posts, read 17,365 times

Advertisements

Sorry for all the late replies, so yeah, I replied individually and answered the work situation question (remote) but it's not showing up. So yeah, Moyie Springs definitely added to my short list. Pinehurst too I've discovered looks beautiful and promising There are many amazing looking small towns in Idaho, hoping to get around 15 to 30 acres, can't be in the millions, we are not stinkin' rich, lol, but I'd still want to live in a small town, on the outskirts, even if I was, seems like that's a trend too given some of the housing I've seem online for the Pinehirst area at least, others as well. My list grows bigger by the day, thank you all! We are looking at a visit after we finish up visiting with family in Washington. My hubby remote works so we travel a lot in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hi, Genevieve...
If closeness to a hospital is a concern, I suggest making it a priority in your search.

You're unlikely to find a hospital in any town smaller than 1,000 people here, and even then, it will be a stretch to find anything more than a very small clinic. Forget dentists or anything like an average Emergency Center like those that are so common in big cities- they simply don't exist here outside of our own 'big' cities.

If you liked Oldtown, I think moving across the border to live in Newport would be better. Newport is in Washington, so your taxes would be much lower, and Oldtown is nothing but a suburb that has a population of around 100. All the services and population live in Newport. Land in E. Washington is cheaper than in Idaho.

I have an long-time lady friend who moved to Idaho after she married. Her husband worked for the BLM a a wildlife biologist, and they settled in Elk City.
They divorced 11 months later. He loved his work, and they both loved the outdoors, but in the daily routine of life, she found herself alone so much she spent more time talking to her German Shepherd than her husband.

She could never make any women friends there, she said, and attributed it to the fact she had never lived in such a small town before and had never lived in a place so remote and wild. It wasn't local hostility; the other wives there had lived there for a long time, and they simply didn't have very much in common with a younger newcomer who was a city girl all her life. Since her husband loved his job, they divorced agreeably.

She has lived in Eagle for over 30 years now quite happily and has a place large enough to keep a couple of horses there.

This is not to say you wouldn't do use fine in Elk City. But there are very good reasons why small towns here stay small, and other small towns have grown into larger.

City size here is on a much smaller scale than in most other states. Our very largest cities only have a population of 100,000, and there are only 3-4 that large, all in the Boise area.

All the others, even the hub cities that have all the services and serve large surrounding areas, are much smaller.

This is so heloful, I didn't even consider Washington. I have family members who work and live I the Seattle area and they can't wait to get out of Washingon as a whole, but I mapped Newport and it's like right there on the border, going to keep this in mind. OK, I'll add to my short list even, won't throw the entire baby out. Washington is a big state like Cali but it seems like it's getting a reputation for some things, but no matter, there will be beautiful small towns there and I won't count them out because of some infamy that I wish to avoid at all costs, but still. Great point too about the really small towns staying small, something to look at, it's this kind of dialogue I was hoping for too, great pointers like that!

Last edited by Genevieveporkchop; 09-26-2022 at 10:00 AM..

Old 09-26-2022, 09:31 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
We almost bought property in Moyie Springs, but a Clark Fork property was better suited for us. Moyie Springs is beautiful, and with easy access to both Bonners (west) and Troy over in MT, but there is no real downtown like Spirit Lake. If you don't need easy airport access and you don't mind driving 10-20 miles for downtown access, MS might work. Be sure to add it to your roadtrip list. You may find that Bonners is actually a better fit.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Blanchard or Spirit Lake, you'll be running into Rathdrum for stuff. CDA or Sandpoint maybe on occasion.

St. Maries, being somewhat bigger, you might not have to venture off as much. CDA when you do.

Potlatch, it would be Moscow for almost everything beyond the very most basic.

For most people, when picking a small town, you are picking it AND the next town / city.

You might prefer Rathdrum as your second city over the others.

Elk River has 120 people and is an hour to Moscow, in decent weather.

Blanchard went from about 200 people in 2000 to 400 in 2010 and now back to 250. Can you get your money back on property there in 2-5-10 years? I dunno but I'd think about it.

Spirit Lake might have some folks from Spokane, Seattle, California. Might have to scratch the surface to find out more on origins.

I can see you are super knowledgeable on the different areas and I hadn't thought to consider the closest major city, despite I'm escaping one (ah, I'm shaking my head at myself) and the entire state as well for many unfortunate reasons. OK, so I'm good with Rathdrum, CDA or Standpoint as a nearest city (as opposed to just thinking about the small towns), so OK, that narrows things some.

Based on all the input and some research I've done, and I've not researched all these yet, but Spirit Lake and the Moscow area aren't on my short list, not for what I'm looking for at least, though I don't think any one place in Idaho is going to be "bad", it's just about preference - Northern greenery, mountain and forest views, 15-30+ acres (don't need or want 100s just big enough for lots of things like animals, greenhouses, etc., that we would want to build over time) if possible with mountainous and forested views; part of a small town but like in Northern California where you are just outside of it, out in "the country". Can't be a big consumerism hub, looking for getting back to my roots as far as being self reliant, must be down to Earth (that's huge)... That's probably a lot of areas in Idaho it's known for being friendlg, but the scenery needs/wants keeps my eyes up North.

Short List (Updated)

1. Moyie Springs - looks most promising

2. Old Town / Newport - Very green, don't know much

3. Saint Maries - Looks great for outdoors stuff

4. Pinehurst - Seems like a well rounded town but might be too big

Anyone have a personal preference for any one of these towns, and why do you like/dislike these places, and in terms of what I've said I'm looking for, how do they measure up? We will be traveling for the next few days around the coast, I"ll check back later in the week. I posted a similar question in Montana, I might look into Washington too, but hope to hear from some Idaho fans and experts on what you think about the towns I mentioned, and others that meets my hopes. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Genevieveporkchop; 09-26-2022 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-26-2022, 10:53 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
That's a good short list for what you say you want.

Pinehurst itself is the second smallest population but could be more outside and nearby.

All 4 appear more affordable than areas closer to the bigger cities.

Good wishes with the search.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:04 AM

Apologies for all of the typos in my replies. I'll be sure to come back and edit my replies as soon as I can, I was just kind of in a hurry but didn't want to neglect this either. Thank you for your patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho