Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,418 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to come up and visit to the Northern Idaho area after Thanksgiving this year. It's looking like we might be staying in Kellogg, ID. Plans are currently to come up around Nov 27 - Dec 3 from Texas. We have a Toyota Highlander 2WD with snow mode and I'm somewhat experienced driving in snowy conditions from when I lived in Oregon for a few years. The plan is to pick up some chains as we come through Colorado or order them online ahead of time since it's very hard to find them locally here in Texas.

Now I know that no one will know the weather in the future, things could change at any moment, however, for us planning the trip up there, Google maps offers two routes to get there. One up through Wyoming into Montana and across the mountains to CDA. The other going through to Utah, then up through Boise and north to CDA. Any thoughts or warnings for either one?

Our hope is that we can explore the area and drive around to check the area out. Mainly thinking about driving as far south as Lewiston, ID and several areas in between. But we want to make sure we're safe and make good choices given our vehicle situation.

I should also mention that after we get there we have family meeting us there who will be in a Subaru Forester with 4WD which we'll probably use when exploring the area. But we still have to get there in our vehicle.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. We look forward to coming and visiting the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 12:55 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
This is a tough one. Both ways have issues. I'm pretty familiar with most of both driving routes and have been on many roads in the area. We used to live in Oklahoma City, Albuquerque and Great Falls, MT, and had to drive mostly into Oregon and later to the Boise area. Most likely you'll drive right through and never touch your chains, but you are going to need to be flexible and prepared for delays, and ready to take alternate routes. Definitely pack a survival kit in your car. You may never need to use it, but absolutely have one.

Most of the northern states will close the freeways down if there is bad weather ahead, or if drifts or an avalanche have blocked the freeway. Keep an eye on semi-truck traffic as you go north. If they are driving through at normal speeds without chaining up, you likely won't need to either. But, if they are stopping before a pass to chain up, then be prepared to add yours as you go up the pass. You may not need them if you have good tires and take your time, but if the road conditions deteriorate then do not hesitate to add your chains. I'd worry about icy road conditions or slushy snow that has ruts from the trucks. A couple inches of nice new dry snow or a well sanded road you can probably go without the chains, but as always slow down, don't change lanes fast, or brake hard. The goal is to go slow and steady and you will likely keep your traction.

I don't know where you are starting in Texas, but you could take I-40 to Albuquerque, then Hwy 550 and other roads to Moab UT, and from there to Salt Lake City. There you pick up I-15 and go north all the way to Butte, MT where you pick up I-90 to Kellogg. Going this route if it looks bad into Montana, then you could turn on to I-84 and go through south Idaho into Boise and on up into Oregon and Washington and then pick up I-90 in Spokane. Probably not much of a snow issue that time of year till you get near Moab. Then several passes to cross all the way to Kellogg going either optional road. You'll need to be weather dependent from Moab on.

I'm guessing your other option you are looking at is driving over to Raton, NM where you pick up I-25 and drive the freeway all the way to Buffalo, WY where you pick up I-90, and then all the way to Kellogg. It's a nice drive. You'll hit your first good snow chance as you approach Pueblo, CO. Then you've got some up and down to Denver. Then it's pretty flat to Casper, WY. Then a slow climb to Billings. Once in Billings you get lots of up/down passes the rest of the way. The main issue will likely be wind. Lots and lots of wind!! If it snows it often just blows across the road and you just press on without really any issues. But, if it starts to drift on the roads they will close them down and you won't have much of an option but to stop and wait for the state to reopen the road. I've only been stuck once on a winter drive in Wyoming or Montana where they closed the road. I had to spend the night in a motel, and I got the last room. I've been diverted on to back roads off the freeway a couple times for avalanches between Evanston and Rock Springs WY. It's rare for them to close the freeway, but it does happen.

Good Luck, and like a Boy Scout... Be Prepared!!!

Old 10-25-2022, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,418 times
Good thoughts. We're coming from Fort Worth. The route plotted out is the on that goes up from Raton, NM, through Denver and Wyoming up through Buffalo, WY. The alternate route was going left on I-80 from Denver to Salt Lake City.

But your information will be helpful to planning for the trip.

Old 10-25-2022, 02:58 PM

Your alternate route across Wyoming on I-80 is boring, but pretty safe except for the wind. You have to climb into Laramie, WY and snow is common through there. Then once you drop a bit into Rawlins it's pretty flat all the way to Evanston, with frequent snow around Little America. Then you drop into Utah, but turn off onto I-84 to Ogden (not SLC). Then there are two moderate passes from Ogden to just north of Snowville, UT. Then it's pretty flat all the way across Idaho till you approach Baker City, OR. A couple of tough passes that close a few times a year between Baker City and Pendleton, OR. Then it's pretty easy to Spokane. Between Spokane and Kellogg is 4th of July pass. It's not a bad drive, just longer. You could stop in Lewiston, ID on our way north that way.

If the storm track follows a NW to SW track across Washington and Oregon, then the Blue Mountains in Oregon tend to get more snow, and that follows into Boise and SLC as the storms go across the country. Often there is high pressure over Oregon and Washington, and the storms go north mainly into Canada, but often catch North Idaho before they drop across Montana and the Dakotas. Keep and eye on Seattle, Spokane, Portland and Boise 10 day forecasts as you get close to your departure. It can give you a clue where the storms are likely heading, and can help you pick a route.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I used to drive for a living covering Ohio to the West Coast. I-80 was always a real question mark. During good weather it was just fine. From December through March it was HORRID!! The winds drive any snow on the ground across the road freezing and it's a dangerous ice rink. Mainly from once one rises from the east after Cheyenne across the very worst stretch, Laramie to Rawlings, which has a really nasty reputation, especially for truckers (or anyone with a trailer). Snow shuts that stretch down all the time in the winter. The winds are horrid and dangerous as well. If there's any way you can avoid I-80 at those months, I would. It's just nasty. I-25 in general during the winter is a virtual nightmare. Just watch some of the truckers that are Youtubers that have videos of that stretch be in in Colorado or Wyoming. Its about as challenging (for a excellent talented driver) as it can get. I wish you a lot of luck. That's a trip one seeks to do from May to September to avoid such nastiness.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:49 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vastidious View Post
My wife and I are planning to come up and visit to the Northern Idaho area after Thanksgiving this year. It's looking like we might be staying in Kellogg, ID. Plans are currently to come up around Nov 27 - Dec 3 from Texas. We have a Toyota Highlander 2WD with snow mode and I'm somewhat experienced driving in snowy conditions from when I lived in Oregon for a few years. The plan is to pick up some chains as we come through Colorado or order them online ahead of time since it's very hard to find them locally here in Texas.

Now I know that no one will know the weather in the future, things could change at any moment, however, for us planning the trip up there, Google maps offers two routes to get there. One up through Wyoming into Montana and across the mountains to CDA. The other going through to Utah, then up through Boise and north to CDA. Any thoughts or warnings for either one?

Our hope is that we can explore the area and drive around to check the area out. Mainly thinking about driving as far south as Lewiston, ID and several areas in between. But we want to make sure we're safe and make good choices given our vehicle situation.

I should also mention that after we get there we have family meeting us there who will be in a Subaru Forester with 4WD which we'll probably use when exploring the area. But we still have to get there in our vehicle.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. We look forward to coming and visiting the area.

The suggestions you've got already are superb IMO. I would just like to add (not from winter driving experience, but just from knowing the routes to North Idaho really well) that you should probably not even consider going up 95 from 84 to CDA, even though it would shorten your drive. There are two steep grades, The White Bird Grade and the Lewiston Grade, and in snowy/icy conditions those would be a nightmare.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:14 PM

With those weather/road warnings, don't disregard the Albuquerque route I mentioned above. I've done both routes from Albuquerque: Up I-25 with the trip ending in Rapid City, SD, or up through Moab, to SLC, and the end goal Mountain Home, ID. If there is bad weather hitting Denver and north from there, then coming in from Albuquerque to SLC might... might keep you south of the worst of the weather. Just another route option to keep available.

Another option to price out, fly to Spokane and rent a car there. Unless you are planning on this being a one-way drive, then you'll have to drive back to Texas in December too. Flying and renting removes all those road issues crossing the Rockies.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:26 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
That's some good advice from ejisme and the others.

Idaho always has 2 major weather patterns, and they're different from each other, even though the prevaling winds from both come from the Pacific.

Once a person is in the Rocky Mountains, it's always a drive through shifting weather that's almost always more local than regional. There always seems to be a place where weather simply rules everything until it decides to give up.

A driver's best insurance is a good set of winter tires and a sack full of tire chains as a reserve in the back. And plenty of sleep to ensure the driver is alert. And enough time allowed to go slowly.

Even with all that, there are still stretches that I get scared thinking about. One is that windy stretch of Interstate in Wyoming- when the wind kicks up there, even a loaded semi can get blown over sometimes.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:36 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
If I was to do this drive (or ride)(and I have) - I would opt to go through boise. Unfortunately, based on the time of the year, weather is a crap shoot, so you'll want to stay on the interstates. There are some great routs (n/s in UT and ID) but probably not worth it.

I would order chains online - don't count on them being available off the shelf.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:48 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
......Another option to price out, fly to Spokane and rent a car there. Unless you are planning on this being a one-way drive, then you'll have to drive back to Texas in December too. Flying and renting removes all those road issues crossing the Rockies.

Adding to this: there are nice four wheel drive SUVs available from the car rentals at the Spokane Airport. I know because my son has picked up a car there a couple of different times and he always gets a nice new 4WD, usually an SUV, although the latest car he got at the Spokane Airport is a 4WD pickup with a crew cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho