Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,655 times

Advertisements

I am in need of some advice for finding a place to live this fall when I head to Pocatello for grad school. I've read over some of the other posts, but the problem that I run into is that Idaho State says their housing is already filled up. That means I'm on a waiting list now.

I am looking for a room/apartment/anything I can get pretty much for a low cost, if possible. Looking just for myself and would be more than willing to share an apartment (on campus or close to campus) with someone else, preferrably if they're female as well.

Also, any advice you have for someone moving to Pocatello who doesn't plan to have a car would be great! Also, what would you suggest is the best way to get to Pocatello from the nearest major airport? I looked into flying straight to Pocatello, but the cost of that is around $1200... a little pricey. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-musher View Post
Also, any advice you have for someone moving to Pocatello who doesn't plan to have a car would be great! Also, what would you suggest is the best way to get to Pocatello from the nearest major airport? I looked into flying straight to Pocatello, but the cost of that is around $1200... a little pricey. Thanks!!!
I'm in a similar situation as you, except that just recently we determined we'll be moving to Idaho Falls, not Pocatello. However, we (my wife & I) will have our cars, so can't say much about those options.

The best advice I can give regarding transport to Pocatello from the nearest major airport (BTW, Salt Lake City, or SLC) - there is a shuttle service that goes to and from the airport; here is the link: Salt Lake Express a service of Rocky Mountain Trails

Old 06-06-2008, 05:41 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
If you're not going to have a car, I would suggest finding something as close to the school as possible. Since I live closer to IF, I'm unsure about Pocatello have a bus system and it can be a cold bitter walk in winter.

Wish I could be of more help.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM

35 posts, read 67,133 times
I would probably start by putting something on the "housing wanted" section of Craigslist.org (East Idaho). A lot of good matchmaking and informal referrals occur on that site. If you're not going to have a car, you'd do well to try to end up with a place adjacent or near to lower Campus (which is the west end of the campus). This would be S. 2nd, S. 3rd, S.4th, S. 5th, S. 6th, S. 7th, S. 8th, S. 9th or S. 10th Streets (those travel North-South). Some good cross streets would be Carter, Benton, Bonneville, Whitman, Lewis (and more--just look at Mapquest and you'll get the idea ). This way it would be easy to walk to classes, walk to a mini-market or grocery store, video store, coffee house, etc. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my impression that you could arrive 10-14 days before classes start and find something just fine if you're not too choosey and don't have a pet. I think a lot of students come and take "whatever" for a month or two and then make a change to something more permanent when they have the lay of the land.

Good luck -- it's not one of those college towns where there's nothing to rent... the supply of rentals is pretty high here (some landlords would tell you it's way TOO high ).

Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 PM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
Try to rent close to campus, BannockCounty gave a good list of streets to start looking. I used to live in the university neighborhood are they are really walkable and the best place to live in Pocatello without a car. PRT is the bus system, Pocatello Regional Transit for schedules and maps, if you are not near campus it would be good if you get place close to a bus route, I bike to ISU most days but it can be not too fun in the winter. One good thing about gas prices being so high is public transportation options are expanding.

You can fly into SLC or Idaho Falls (IDA) Northwest, Alaska/Horizon, Allegiant and Skywest(Delta and United) fly direct to Idaho Falls (50 miles north). SLC will probably be cheaper and the shuttles are nice and cheaper than driving. It will probably be too late for you, but the Idaho Falls Airport is scheduled to closed from Sept. 2 to Oct. 1 so the main runway can refurbished and flights will likley be sent to Pocatello duing this time.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,655 times
Thanks for all your suggestions. Would you say that there are any parts of town that are not good to be at night? Most of the classes I'll be taking are in the evening hours, and I would like to find a place to walk to that is safe.

I looked up the bus system, and that looks to be good. It's cheap too! I am amazed at just how cheap everything is in Idaho.

Also, is anyone familiar with Bengal Creek? I've heard one negative review of it from someone that said they switch their management too often. Anyone else heard anything else?

One more thing... are garage sales a common thing in Idaho? I'll probably be looking for quite a few things ranging from kitchen utensils to a bike when I get there. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 PM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
Most areas are pretty safe, parts of "Old Town" are said to have higher crime but there are some really nice places down there too, and there is very seldom reports of crime in the warehouse district nearer to the railroad. You can tell a lot by how people care for their houses and yards. So if you have questions about a certain street or area, feel free to PM me.

There are little pockets of higher crime in some neighborhoods, and the Pocatello or Chubbuck Police department can tell you about those or PM me about certain streets. These tend to be certain streets, and not whole areas.

Bengal Creek I hear is nice and not sure about the management. You will meet lots of people there. I think it is dorm style with individual rooms and common living area. (like 6 in an "apartment" I think.)

Garage sales are very common through the summer, so you can find a lot of stuff there. They tend to be spread out all over town so if you can hitch a ride with someone that would be helpful because you may have to travel around a bit to find what you are looking for. One secret, the Goodwill store here is well organized and cheap, but don't tell anyone. SHhh!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,789 times
I have a son living in Pocatello from New Jersey. He has an apart. in a 3 fam house. He pays $350.00 a month plus gas & elec. (=s $50.00). The aparts. are pretty easy to find. If you take a plane to Salt Lake City you can take a shuttle from the airport to Pocatello for about $35.00. Also my son furnished his whole apart. for under $300 and he is pickey. There are 3 thrift stores to chose from. My son was quite impressed plus he said it was alot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho