Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times

Advertisements

The transplant issue is not special to Californians in Idaho but universal. In geneal, there seem to be three classes of problem cases.

Class One: Those who arrive and try to transplant 100% of their lives and presence in their new locale without any attempt to assimilate. They can range from sad to annoying. Although not quite relevant, I am reminded of a nonfiction book I once read on the early European history of New England, where people imported the idea of creating manicured lawns. LOL!! I can only imagine what the Natives were thinking!!

Class Two: Those who arrive with so much excessive enthusiasm that they try to live a cartoonish version of what they see as the true native life. Examples? New Yorkers in Vermont, all transplants in Berkeley, White Supremacists coming into Idaho. They see the new locale as their "missing piece," something to make them hole (or in some cases, a-holes). These folks can be scary and saccharine sweet at the same time. A good thing about these folks is that they leave but utopia does not quite materialize.

Class Three: those who arrive with a head filled with passion & an agenda of converting locals to a better life. Having a better life is good, but the agenda and the patronizing and strong-arm tactics that go along with that means the "better" life comes at great cost. These folks are arrogant, judgmental, and extremely hypocritical, as their accusations of intolerance and inflexibility is apt more to them that the targets of their mission. these folks are the squeaky wheel and can often get the grease. They can rise in business and politics. Note: sometimes it is hard to tell the genuine do-gooder from the proselytizing frauds. I am sure I have been called the latter on more than one occasion. However, I have never been insincere or caught with empty rhetoric. Voicing one's Constitutional and Human rights should never be held into question. Instead, the in-your-face efforts to lobby for the change for which we are long "overdue" are a bit much.

But...for every one that fits into these three classes, there are 10+ that are good, honest, humble, and respectful people. I am convinced that there are far more of these good folk out there if we only took a bit more time to be neighborly and friendly. Their kids...well...that is an other story...

Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
But...for every one that fits into these three classes, there are 10+ that are good, honest, humble, and respectful people. I am convinced that there are far more of these good folk out there if we only took a bit more time to be neighborly and friendly. Their kids...well...that is an other story...
I guess I'm in trouble. It's my kids who are Honest , Humble and respectful.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
As a California, Bay Area native, I'd have to say with out a doubt IDAHO!
Idaho is a much more REAL state, with all sorts of stunning beauty and varied landscapes with virtually none of the [MOD CUT]
I'm moving to another state (that will remain nameless because I don't want to start a trend of Cali-fornicators moving there....to "discover" it...ruining it, changing it forever)

Again, Idaho is a far far better place. People in Idaho are real, down to earth. Californians (most not even NATIVE to California) are the weirdest sleaziest [MOD CUT] people you'll ever see.
And now a word of advice to the people in small town Idaho.
GET INVOLVED! Take some interest in your community and schools, don't EVER assume that it'll all be just fine.
If the California [MOD CUT] yuppies start moving in (to buy a "ranch" or to go skiing or what have you) THEY most definitely WILL get involved in local politics, the PTA, the parks, the schools, the local government and YOU will be left out....If YOU LET THEM...they will be telling YOU how it is going to be in YOUR TOWN!
Believe me....

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 11-12-2008 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Ease up on the political rant...this isn't the place for politics...

Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
What's happened to us all? Were supposed to be one nation under who ---. We all need to join together and stop the attitudes, no matter where we came from or where we end up.Yes, it only takes one bad apple, but then all the good apples need to stand up and eventually the bad apple will move on. I live in California and would love the small town atmosphere of McCall, ID one day and to move and not want to change anything, because I wouldn't want it to lose the small town effect.It's beautiful country and people who go there and want to change it don't need to be there.I just hope I don't have to worry about my California plates!!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy52 View Post
What's happened to us all? Were supposed to be one nation under who ---. We all need to join together and stop the attitudes, no matter where we came from or where we end up.Yes, it only takes one bad apple, but then all the good apples need to stand up and eventually the bad apple will move on. I live in California and would love the small town atmosphere of McCall, ID one day and to move and not want to change anything, because I wouldn't want it to lose the small town effect.It's beautiful country and people who go there and want to change it don't need to be there.I just hope I don't have to worry about my
California plates!!!!!
No worries, I see California plates often in Boise and don't even think twice about it. If you had Utah plates that would be a different story. I would much rather have Californians moving here over Utahns. When I see an auto with Utah plates I cringe because they drive like idiots and usually have confused snooty attitudes.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
No worries, I see California plates often in Boise and don't even think twice about it. If you had Utah plates that would be a different story. I would much rather have Californians moving here over Utahns. When I see an auto with Utah plates I cringe because they drive like idiots and usually have confused snooty attitudes.
It must be that Morman underware

Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
Yeah even I have to admit that a Utah plate on the streets makes me give that car a wider berth...

One thing I'll say about Idahoans and the whole "Libertarian--AntiGovernment" thing...how am I to square, exactly, the image of a guy decked out in full camouflage jacket and hunting ballcap, yet with a bluetooth earpiece and holding a Starbucks cup.....

Hmmm.......

Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,387 times
My wife and I moved from Santa Barbara, CA to Sandpoint, ID a little over a year ago. Some people wonder why we left the idyllic climate and surf for the four seasons of North Idaho. The truth is that this was an absolutely intentional move. We really did enjoy our 5 years in Santa Barbara (my wife is from the Bay area), but we were looking for a more 'real' and unpretentious existence, especially given the fact we were ready to have kids. We cast a wide net and spent time visiting every ski town in the west before deciding on Sandpoint. The lifestyle factors of skiing, lake, mountains, etc were the immediate draw. But the way people live and help their neighbors out is what really captivated us.
We came to North Idaho because we love it here. We have embraced this place wholeheartedly and don't make the mistake of wishing that things were somehow more like where we came from. I agree that it is annoying when people are always talking about changing the town and how things were better somewhere else.
Rick

Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixsys View Post
If you truly want to keep visitors out of your fair state just continue your crude, right wing conservative ranting. I guarantee you – few people will ever want you as neighbors.

That is WHY we choose to move to Idaho, I might just blend in

Old 03-06-2009, 05:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Default can't wait to move in next door to a right wing conservative

oh, that sounds so wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho