Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times

Advertisements

The best part about this garden, other than that the seeds I put in the ground about a week ago are actually coming up, is going to be learning to can and sharing with all my friends and neighbors. I feel rich!! If I'd have known that the seeds were really going to grow, I might have planted fewer, now I'm going to have to THIN them, a term I only just learned means KILL!!!!!

I just have to pat myself on the back, my place was abandoned for years, overtaken by weeds, and I've actually managed to breathe life back into the grounds, ie seeding and overseeding the lawn, like at 6 am this morning, etc ad nauseum, mitigating the fallout of tree removal and ugly stumps (that one in the picture is flat now and newly seeded velvet like grass is sprouting up) and I'm just one person with a full time job and other obligations. When we first moved here the lawns and grounds were such a nasty mess I was embarassed to be seen outside my house, but now I'm out there at all hours chipping away, sometimes even after dark! A real labor of love. And a means for me to enjoy and savor the subtleties of the changing seasons here, this has been our first Spring in Idaho : ) : ) It's also been a great way to meet neighbors, many of whom know alot more about the history of my property than I do. That is how I found out where the vegetable garden used to be, and that the concrete bed pictured above was historically an unrivalled strawberry patch. One delightful older lady stopped by to introduce herself one day, telling me she used to live next door. She stops to see what I'm working on from time to time, and told me once "if you see me out walking in your yard don't feel like you need to bother coming out, I'm just checking on your progress." Such a little thing, so little time, but these are the experiences that make me really feel the fabric of my life being interwoven with the community, and one cut from such fine cloth!! Makes me want to kiss the ground when I return from travelling away. I LOVE IDAHO!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by norcalmom101; 06-11-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,961 times
I went to a "garden center" recently and I noticed a lot of Tropical offerings --bougainvillea, habiscus, others. I have not seen these around anyone's homes locally where I live. My impression is that these are not wise choices for Boise due to the winter. I suspect only the "diehard" greenthumbers would actually dig things up to move indoors.

Am I wrong to think that these are container only options for this climate?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
I posted some pictures of our container garden this year on my flicker site. for any that want to look. Even with sort of goofy weather this spring we are going to get some veggies and pretty flowers. Yah I know I garden weird all up in containers. It is how I like to do it.

Flickr: shades_of_idaho's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shades_of_idaho/ - broken link)

My friend gave us some really pretty Iris so had to include them too.

Later when I get time I will copy some pictures of when we first got to Idaho and the hokey set up we had while we were building our house. Heheheh Will make you all chuckle. Since several of you are getting ready to head this way.

Chris

Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
Cool pics! What is the "pretty little plant that cured cancer?"

Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I posted some pictures of our container garden this year on my flicker site. for any that want to look. Even with sort of goofy weather this spring we are going to get some veggies and pretty flowers. Yah I know I garden weird all up in containers. It is how I like to do it.

Flickr: shades_of_idaho's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shades_of_idaho/ - broken link)

My friend gave us some really pretty Iris so had to include them too.

Later when I get time I will copy some pictures of when we first got to Idaho and the hokey set up we had while we were building our house. Heheheh Will make you all chuckle. Since several of you are getting ready to head this way.

Chris

Wonderful pics! Thanks for sharing. Also nice to be able to put a face to your name! Sorry to read that you lost a good friend recently ...

I've been gardening in containers (peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce) forever--until we moved to our present home on a canyon. Can't keep the bunnies out! And we don't eat bunnies... but our dog does

Old 06-12-2009, 12:09 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,585 times
great pictures Chris..
love to try that gardening thing when we get to emmett.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
Aw thanks. LOL forgot there were other pictures there too. Oh well the secret is out. I am not young and beautiful any more. Heheheheh

Norcalmom. The pretty little plant is Bloodroot. I am one of those holistic kind of people.

Yes I miss my friend very much. Was so sudden. She was going to come visit us in a couple of weeks and when she did not email for a few days I found out we had lost her. :^(((

I really like the container garden. I could do a garden in the ground we have enough room. I have had better success up in the containers.

Chris

Old 06-13-2009, 06:41 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Aw thanks. LOL forgot there were other pictures there too. Oh well the secret is out. I am not young and beautiful any more. Heheheheh

Norcalmom. The pretty little plant is Bloodroot. I am one of those holistic kind of people.

Yes I miss my friend very much. Was so sudden. She was going to come visit us in a couple of weeks and when she did not email for a few days I found out we had lost her. :^(((

I really like the container garden. I could do a garden in the ground we have enough room. I have had better success up in the containers.

Chris
Chris,
You're definitely beautiful! Young--well, that's in the eye of the beholder!

I lost a good long-distance friend last year--hadn't heard from her for 6 weeks, Googled her on a whim--and up came her obituary. That was a complete shock. Nobody had told me. So since then I've been keeping in touch with everybody, frequently!

Bloodroot, really? Good for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho