Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 01:49 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

For those of you new to or traveling through eastern ID and wonder where you can get 24/7 Emergency Veterinary Care, there is a full-service veterinary hospital in Idaho Falls.

Unless something has just changed, this is the only 24 hr. facility in eastern ID. Even some Pocatello DVMs refer to this facility.

If you are traveling with pets, be re-assured there is emergency care for them as well as humans in eastern ID.

If you are planning to travel and potentially board animals, while visiting parks or other events/locations, make sure to confirm your reservation with the facility. This summer (2008) has had the most tourists traveling through eastern ID to Yellowstone National Park, let alone Jackson Hole and many other beautiful locations.

Better be sure the a good kennel, veterinary hospital boarding or other pet care arrangements you've made for your time off, allow you to truly have time off.

Cleosmom and others in southeastern ID may have more information for those who need more.

I encourage all to think what any facility not use to boarding your pet/pets might need (proof of immunizations etc.). Plus, if your animals have had illnesses, take daily medications or have surgery etc., make sure you have records and know how the facility where you will be boarding your pet works with medically fragile animals.

I hope this thread will generated some discussion. I was quite surprised a few weeks ago to see a very well-traveled couple walk into a veterinarian's office recently and attempt to just drop two pets off. They had no proof of anything. Given the time difference, their veterinarian's office, in the east, couldn't fax records. Consequently, this couple could not leave their 2 pets at the veterinarian's boarding facilities as they thought. Their plans had to change.

Please share any tips, observations or knowledge you have regarding this subject.

Thanks!

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
With the Holidays up and coming I thought I'd pull this post up as a reminder. All clinics and boarding kennels tend to fill early in our area, you do not want to wait until the last minute.

When calling to arrange for your pet's stay, don't be afraid to ask questions and also if you can tour the facility. You don't want your Holiday plans to be thwarted by not planning ahead, act soon if you're leaving town or having visitors who might have health issues being near your pets.

Yes, we do indeed still have a 24/7 Emergency Vet Clinic in Idaho Falls, that number can be found by dialing any of the area vet clinics.

MSR mentioned a couple being rejected by not having the proof of required vaccines. Couldn't be closer to the truth, there's nothing that bothers me more than when I have to turn someone away who is not prepared. Of course my empathy is towards the pet who is confused and often travel weary.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Lightbulb Pack Enough Water for Companion Animals.

It is the summer vacation time again. I wanted to pull this thread back up for all those who are visiting Yellowstone National Park, the Tetons, Craters of the Moon, Jackson Hole etc. in eastern ID and southwestern WY. Plus, new area residents may not be aware of this service.

To the best of my knowledge (please anyone update this if my knowledg is out-dated), this 24 emergency hospital where a DVM sees companion pets is still the only one in eastern, southeastern Idaho or western WY. Potentially, southern MT doesn't have 24 hr. emergency care either, I simply don't know.

Anyway, if you are traveling with furry friends to some of the most wonderful places to visit in the U.S. this summer and they need emergency care, or you forgot some of their meds etc., know there is an emergency facility in Idaho Falls that can help you.

I sincerely hope no one needs emergency care; however, it's better to know where help exists if needed, then wish one knew when one might need it.

Enjoy your travels through eastern ID and wherever your final destination takes you. Please be sure to pack enough water for your furry friends. I'm far from an expert in this area.

The veterinary practice I use says to pack X the amount of water for companion animals, as you would for yourself. I've removed the number on purpose as that is information for animals in their practice and may not be appropriate for other pets, given different circumstances. I'm not advising anyone else how much water to pack, as I'm not a DVM. I'm simply repeating what I've been told by my little one's DVMs as I was honestly quite surprised at how much water a canine needs when traveling or hiking etc..

I'd encourage all to ask your DVM for his/her recommendations about water consumption and any special vaccinations that may be needed. In the west, I think most DVMs recommend a type of heart guard. Perhaps they do throughout the U.S., I don't know for sure. Just remember to check with your vet of what your little friend will need, as you may not think to take with you as you pack for the trip.

If it seems like a lot of hassle for your vacation, just remember all those cold nights and a warm nose that was exteneded to you. Or, maybe it was hot nights and you got a cool nose after your furry friend had just gotten a cold drink of water. Unconditional love is suppose to go both ways.

Happy trails (and hopefully limited trials) to you as you travel.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho