U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 AM

10 posts, read 24,874 times
Smile IdahoFallsToday.com Newspaper Subscription

Later this month I am moving to Idaho Falls. A friend who lived near Pocatello not long ago pointed me to the news website http://www.idahofallstoday.com (broken link) When he talked to me I got the impression this was a newspaper website, but I can't find out how to register, or find any phone number to contact them.

Does anyone know how I can get a paper subscription?

I've heard there is another newspaper too (the post register) but when I called them to sign up they were very rude and I don't like doing business with people like that.

Last edited by TamiSanders; 08-01-2008 at 01:52 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 AM

4,063 posts, read 10,134,941 times
If you do a search for The Post Register you can purchase an online subscription. Classifieds and some links on there are free.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 AM

4,976 posts, read 4,786,009 times
Thumbs up Three Free Options - Check Out Their Websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiSanders View Post
Later this month I am moving to Idaho Falls. A friend who lived near Pocatello not long ago pointed me to the news website http://www.idahofallstoday.com (broken link) When he talked to me I got the impression this was a newspaper website, but I can't find out how to register, or find any phone number to contact them.

Does anyone know how I can get a paper subscription?

I've heard there is another newspaper too (the post register) but when I called them to sign up they were very rude and I don't like doing business with people like that.
Tami,

IdahoFallsToday is a local website only. Unless there has been a change this last week, it is a website that has been functioning for about 3 years. It was purchased about 4-6 months ago from the person who hosted and moderated IdahoFallz.Com.

The new owner wanted to reflect a different type of interactive site (live chats occur 24/7, plus posted articles etc.). The new host/owner asked for input and about 3 names seemed to be the best fit, of what web addresses were available. Of the 3, IdahoFallsToday.Com was selected.

Either the old or new web address should link you to the site for now. IdahoFallsToday.Com or still IdahoFallz.Com (although this link will eventually not connect).

The new owner has changed the format some. Additionally, he has added a weekly NEWSLETTER that is emailed to registered addresses. I'm wondering if that is potentially what you heard about?

To register, just go to the site and look for the area that says, "Register or Sign In etc." There is also a Help and FAQ section. If all else fails, join the live chat, for which you do not have to register. Ask those there how to register. It isn't hard.

Cleosmom is correct that the Post Register (.:Post Register - Idaho Falls, ID:.) is the only daily newspaper in Idaho Falls.

What I rarely, if ever see posted here, is the indepent feature, weekly newspaper. It is online and in print. The online address is: River City Weekly - Idaho Falls’ free, weekly independent feature newspaper. I've been impressed first that it has lasted, being launched about 18 months ago, and secondly that the staff is growing with writers who have written for newspapers.

Just to be complete, there is also IdahoFallsMagazine.Com. It is a glossy publication, free to residents of Bonneville, Jefferson and some parts of Bingham County. It has grown from 4 magazines/year to 6 and I believe will increase to 8 in the next year or two. The size of the publications has grown too as more and more businesses advertise, let alone the revision of the magazine's focus. It use to be under 50 pages. In contrast, the March/April issue had 111 pages.

IdahoFallsMagazine.Com can also be accessed online for a tremendous amount of community resources, information about the area, local links etc. The articles and magazine contents are not all available online, but you still may want to visit the site and see what is available. There is also a forum there where one has to register, but at no cost can ask questions and provide answers to previously posted topics.

IdahoFallsToday.Com, IdahoFallsMagazine.Com and RivercityWeekly.Com are all free to local users. Idaho Falls magazine does allow those out of the area to subscribe to it. The cost is minimal, about $12.00/year.

I hope this information helps answer your questions.

MSR

Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
Yes, you don't need a "subscription" to IdahoFallsToday.com. It is an open website and they don't have a paper version for delivery (as far as I know).

It is a great place to get to know people in the area and they have a great community. It seems to be much more active than here.

But I'm glad both are available as this site seems to cover other areas of Idaho as well (which has its goods and bads).

Old 08-10-2008, 03:25 PM

4,976 posts, read 4,786,009 times
Thumbs up It is Good to Have More Than One Website to Access for Info, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catinthebox View Post
Yes, you don't need a "subscription" to IdahoFallsToday.com. It is an open website and they don't have a paper version for delivery (as far as I know).

It is a great place to get to know people in the area and they have a great community. It seems to be much more active than here.

But I'm glad both are available as this site seems to cover other areas of Idaho as well (which has its goods and bads).
This seems like a good summary, Catinthebox.

As someone who helped the original creator of "IdahoFallz.Com" accomplish certain goals with the website, I'd especially encourage those who are looking for links (even throughout the state of Idaho) to check that area of IdahoFallsToday.Com. All the PICS of Idaho Falls, along with all the references locally, to state government/agencies and other websites etc. were retained when the new owner bought the site.

It is an active website. I don't think there are any plans to have a print edition, as they defeats the purpose of the live chatbox and almost 3 years of articles, opinions, views of events in the Idaho Falls area.

It appears to me, although I could be wrong, the new owner is changing the format some so many national subjects of discussion (such as headline news) are now being discussed locally too. Previously, the discussion was more limited to Idaho-related topics. However, those threads are still accessible.

Anyway, have a look if you haven't already and post your questions. One huge difference, though between CD and IFz.Com/IFT, is NO RELIGION discussions are permitted at IFT. A separate website was created for religion topics so that theme didn't hijack many discussions about other important issues.

MSR

Old 08-28-2008, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
So is this a news site or a website?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,736,195 times
Just a word of advice about Idahofallstoday.com.....Please do not take the acerbic exchanges you may find there to be indicative of or representative in any way of what the people in Idaho Falls are really like. If I had not looked beyond that site to get a feel for the place, I honestly would not have relocated.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 AM
JAO

5 posts, read 7,572 times
Angry Idahofallstoday.com

I didn't last long at idahofallstoday.com. If you're super conservative and willing to go along with the majority of other posters, you'll be fine. If, however, you have more left-leaning opinions and views, don't bother. It will be an exercise in futility and you'll come out feeling rather beat up. People who don't share the views of the site owner and moderators don't get a fair shake.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 AM

873 posts, read 988,671 times
Default IdahoFallsToday

Norcalmom and JAO hit the nail on the head. The site is quite discriminating against those with other viewpoints. The new owner doesn't seem to care much about anyone who offers other opinions. He allows posters and moderators alike to run roughshod over those who disagree with the majority vote. Then he makes every excuse under the sun to protect his buddies.

If you are ultra conservative, you'll do fine. If you don't agree with the majority vote, they'll make you life hell until you leave. The new owner goes to great lengths to protect "his own" while giving out the identities of others. I liken it to a polygamist camp.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 AM

2,779 posts, read 4,736,195 times
I wouldn't even say it has anything to do with conservative/not conservative, my experience is that it seems to be a bastion for those trolls and bullies who wouldn't make it by CDF mods for a day. And I say that as an active participant in the 2008 Election forums on this site. I made suggestions based on my experience with CDF, only to be told "why don't you go back to that site and stay off ours" and next thing the site is trying to copy features of this site, but without learning anything about what this site does that works, and the features this site already refined or abandoned. I pretty much begged the owner to have a look at posts on CDF which illustrate how Sage moderates, to no avail. The strongest comment I have for the owner/participants is my silence, which is pretty darned loud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho