U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 AM

10 posts, read 24,844 times
Unhappy Winters in Idaho

I'm in California right now, but moving to southeast idaho later this year. I've heard horror stories about how cold it gets and how much snow piles up in Idaho. Is it as bad as people say it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:17 AM

4,063 posts, read 10,127,410 times
It's more or less left to one's determination of what "bad" is. Myself? I love living in an area that actually gets all four seasons, however here SE Idaho we don't get Spring, we get mud season instead

Do we get snow? Yes around 30"inches a year on average. Does it get cold? Yes, some days in winter don't rise above freezing, toss the infamous Idaho winds in and yeah, it can be bone chilling, nostril freezing, grab your comforter type weather.

The added benefit to that is we get mild summers in comparison to most places; central CA, FL and the humid midwest.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:52 PM

2,669 posts, read 5,428,661 times
Tami,

You know how right now you live in California but the summer can have some really hot days/weeks? Well, you'll love Idaho, but there are some awfully cold weeks/months in the winter. You'll get used to it, or you'll want to move back to California...personally I love the cold and hate the heat, so Idaho was a great move for our family!

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,733,595 times
I got some great advice from a CDer in Wisconsin:
Well, since I have always lived with winter weather, it will probably be different for you then it is for me. However, I have had the opportunity to know a whole lot of folks who have moved to Wisconsin from warmer climes and it appears to me that the ones who make the transistion successfully are those who make up their mind that they enjoy the changing seasons. Or at least that they don't HATE winter. The ones who don't seem to adjust are those who just spend their time thinking and saying how they HATE winter. It's all in their mindsets I think. And you can learn to accept winter in two different ways. You can either learn to love winter sports and being active in winter or you can learn to love the good excuse that winter gives you to stay snug and warm and enjoy the indoor pursuits that you don't have time to enjoy the rest of the year. Reading, hobbies, music, etc. etc. But whichever choice you make you can still enjoy the beauty of the hushed winter mornings when the whole world is clean and new and the trees all sparkle with fairy crystal. By February, no matter how much you learn to like winter, you will be tired of it. That is always a good time to visit your friends in warmer places for a couple of weeks...then come back and get ready for beautiful spring.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,733,595 times
Another CDer described the seasons in Idaho thusly:

Almost Winter
Winter
Still Winter
Road Construction.

See ya'll there NEXT WEEK! Yippee!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 PM

2,993 posts, read 1,397,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiSanders View Post
I'm in California right now, but moving to southeast idaho later this year. I've heard horror stories about how cold it gets and how much snow piles up in Idaho. Is it as bad as people say it is?

I think you need to take it in the context of who is telling the 'horror' stories. Coming from Minnesota I don't think southern Idaho winters are either cold or snowy at all, someone who loves Arizona may well think that Idaho winters are hell on earth.

Pocatello isn't that much below average.

http://pics2.city-data.com/w1/lha4970.png (broken link)

This site: Pocatello Weather History - CityRating.com has more tables of data. Are average temps in the mid 20's to cold for you? Honestly coming from CA I'd be more concerned with the amount of sun in the winters than with the cold. You can always turn the heat up or put on another layer of clothing if it's chilly.

Temp. (F) Average January 23.3 February 29.1 March 36.3 April 44.9 May 53.6 June 62.7 July 70.6 August 68.7 September 59 October 48 November 35.6 December 24.8

Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM

12 posts, read 48,879 times
Most of the snow piles up in the mountains.
in the valleys it snows but usually not more than a foot at a time.
the thing I hate is how LONG winter lasts... from thanksgiving to may 1st is Winter!
there really is no spring season, just mud season.
southeast idaho: pocatello, idaho falls, malad, soda springs.
but montpelier/bear lake area gets more snow, and if you go farther north than idaho falls, I believe there's more snow.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM

691 posts, read 1,286,515 times
I am with Sage I would rather have the cold and snow than the heat. I actually love the winters because I have so many things I want to do in the house and any other time of the year I feel I really should be working in the yard instead. Other than shoveling the wonderful snow there is not much winter yard work.

Chris

Old 08-26-2008, 06:13 PM

996 posts, read 1,852,270 times
We can't wait to see snow in our yard.
I want to cut and stack firewood untill I choke.
I want a Polaris snow mobile and a good doctor.
Most of all I want a Hottub that works...
I want to put fresh snow in my Scotch

Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM

1,043 posts, read 2,033,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
We can't wait to see snow in our yard.
I want to cut and stack firewood untill I choke.
I want a Polaris snow mobile and a good doctor.
Most of all I want a Hottub that works...
I want to put fresh snow in my Scotch
Im with YOU man!!!! All except the snow in the Scotch. I dont like to water down a good single malt. But dang, a huckleberry Margarita poured over some fresh snow sounds incredible!!
I have my 4X4 Arctic Cat ATV with winch all ready for a snow plow, and the Stihl chainsaw is tuned and sharp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho