Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:26 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,505,897 times

Advertisements

So Sage, would you say studded tires on by end of October a good rule of thumb for SE Idaho too? And is it ok to buy tires at Wal-mart? It is my first winter here, I've come and gone previously, but didn't stick around for commuting. If I get the studded tires and drive more gingerly should I be ok in the IF area? One thing is for sure, I will be taking the highway and definitely not the freeway, I like to drive fast but not intersted in doing so on ice, nope not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 12:39 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,219,702 times
First ice we get, pop into a deserted parking lot and get used to things.... hit the brakes and see what happens, making certain it's an open parking lot no light posts etc. If you have front wheel drive, you'll learn that you can't have the brake on while on ice and expect the car to follow a turn

I'm not certain if Walmart even does studded tires?? I always go to Wally's Auto care for car service, tires and brakes. He's just a scooch down the road from the Walmart out in Ammon, next to Kmart.

The worst part of your drive will be coming up the old highway (91/Yellowstone) as it's barren out there and when the winds blows the road slicks up real nice. Your other fear to respect will be "black ice". It's when the temps are 'right there' (at freezing) and the road looks wet, but is actually icy... bridges, overpasses and shaded areas are prone even when the surrounding area is dry.

I believe studded tires season is Oct to April, I'm uncertain as I don't use them. As winter draws near if you're still working up here, i can give you a head's up if the roads are nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
So Sage, would you say studded tires on by end of October a good rule of thumb for SE Idaho too? And is it ok to buy tires at Wal-mart? It is my first winter here, I've come and gone previously, but didn't stick around for commuting. If I get the studded tires and drive more gingerly should I be ok in the IF area? One thing is for sure, I will be taking the highway and definitely not the freeway, I like to drive fast but not intersted in doing so on ice, nope not at all.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
First ice we get, pop into a deserted parking lot and get used to things.... hit the brakes and see what happens, making certain it's an open parking lot no light posts etc. If you have front wheel drive, you'll learn that you can't have the brake on while on ice and expect the car to follow a turn

I'm not certain if Walmart even does studded tires?? I always go to Wally's Auto care for car service, tires and brakes. He's just a scooch down the road from the Walmart out in Ammon, next to Kmart.

The worst part of your drive will be coming up the old highway (91/Yellowstone) as it's barren out there and when the winds blows the road slicks up real nice. Your other fear to respect will be "black ice". It's when the temps are 'right there' (at freezing) and the road looks wet, but is actually icy... bridges, overpasses and shaded areas are prone even when the surrounding area is dry.

I believe studded tires season is Oct to April, I'm uncertain as I don't use them. As winter draws near if you're still working up here, i can give you a head's up if the roads are nasty.
Well if your game, care to coach me? My mom gave me her Acura when she wrapped up our move by heading out with the 26' truck, I don't even know if it's got front wheel drive, but I've got enough winter driving experience to know you can spin out with winter tires and chains on, even at slow speeds, so am pretty nervous. I'm working in IF 6 days a week while I look for a real job, which I hope to find as close as IF if not closer. So with commuting in my future, on the stretch you mention, I'd gladly take any lessons! Is it legal to use a vacant lot in the manner you suggest? I was wondering if the IFPD maybe offers some kind of winter driving course for newbies, anyone know of such a thing?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:58 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,809,572 times
Here's my $.02...

If you don't have 4WD or AWD, then I feel that the level of confidence and braking you gain from studded tires is worth it. Find a way to get some cheap rims (I found a set of take offs at a BMW dealer where a friend works) and then put on studded tires. Nokian Hakkepelita was my choice, highly rated performance studded tire.

But, if you have front wheel drive, and a tighter budget, just have your tires siped at a tire shop. It will give you much more positive ice handling.

As far as the "schedule"...late October to early November is normal for around here, but 10/1 is the earliest legal date. And this past winter, the roads were of course so bad that they extended the studded tire allowance to 4/15, and it was great appreciated. We may get early snow, but it's not something that sticks around and causes driving issues, so I don't see the reason to put on the studs too early. Oh, and BTW...studded tires have a shorter life expectancy...maybe 30-40K miles from what I've been told.

Remember that studded tires DO damage road surfaces (Spokane section of I-90 is horrid), and that speed DOES hurt the road more. I read a study that with studded tires, a vehicle at 70mph does DOUBLE the damage of a vehicle at 55mph. Nobody should be going that fast in bad conditions...but just be aware of the issue...

Personally, I find that when it rains, water that pools in the stud groove on the pavement is most dangerous for the unprepared.

But yes...looking forward to fall too...just went to Ponderay Garden Center up here and got several red and silver (yellow) maples, plus several mature apple trees and some red oaks to plant, since we're entering tree planting time now...

Old 08-24-2008, 08:26 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,915,044 times
I do not like to drive on the slick roads even after doing it for 22 years now.

I try to remember to treat the ice like a soft slow ballet. First thinking WAY WAY ahead of where I am actually driving. Planning the turns I need to make. Ever so gently pressing the break always testing the feel of the road.Move slow and graceful with a light hand and foot. Trying not to over correct. You also always need to keep an eye on what others are doing. You might be in control while they are flying at you out of control. As hard as it is to make yourself do always steer into your skid when it starts to happen to correct it. Just not any hard movements.

YEP Fall is in the air. The flannel shirt came out of the closet this morning.

Chris

Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 AM

380 posts, read 1,029,195 times
It's the best time of the year!!! It's comming but we may get an Indian summer you never know!!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Here's my $.02...

If you don't have 4WD or AWD, then I feel that the level of confidence and braking you gain from studded tires is worth it. Find a way to get some cheap rims (I found a set of take offs at a BMW dealer where a friend works) and then put on studded tires. Nokian Hakkepelita was my choice, highly rated performance studded tire.

But, if you have front wheel drive, and a tighter budget, just have your tires siped at a tire shop. It will give you much more positive ice handling.

As far as the "schedule"...late October to early November is normal for around here, but 10/1 is the earliest legal date. And this past winter, the roads were of course so bad that they extended the studded tire allowance to 4/15, and it was great appreciated. We may get early snow, but it's not something that sticks around and causes driving issues, so I don't see the reason to put on the studs too early. Oh, and BTW...studded tires have a shorter life expectancy...maybe 30-40K miles from what I've been told.

Remember that studded tires DO damage road surfaces (Spokane section of I-90 is horrid), and that speed DOES hurt the road more. I read a study that with studded tires, a vehicle at 70mph does DOUBLE the damage of a vehicle at 55mph. Nobody should be going that fast in bad conditions...but just be aware of the issue...

Personally, I find that when it rains, water that pools in the stud groove on the pavement is most dangerous for the unprepared.

But yes...looking forward to fall too...just went to Ponderay Garden Center up here and got several red and silver (yellow) maples, plus several mature apple trees and some red oaks to plant, since we're entering tree planting time now...
What is siped?

Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,219,702 times
I'm always game to help someone

I have no earthly clue if it's legal or not to use a vacant lot LOL I'll have to check with a friend of mine on the force to see what he suggests. That's why I was saying make certain there's no light posts or anything around... to avoid damage.

You did pose a good question with the high number of folks moving here that are probably not used to winter driving, they should offer it. One think you have to be wary of is the others. There are folks in their AWD that seem to think they are invincible Most often those are the ones getting in the accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Well if your game, care to coach me? My mom gave me her Acura when she wrapped up our move by heading out with the 26' truck, I don't even know if it's got front wheel drive, but I've got enough winter driving experience to know you can spin out with winter tires and chains on, even at slow speeds, so am pretty nervous. I'm working in IF 6 days a week while I look for a real job, which I hope to find as close as IF if not closer. So with commuting in my future, on the stretch you mention, I'd gladly take any lessons! Is it legal to use a vacant lot in the manner you suggest? I was wondering if the IFPD maybe offers some kind of winter driving course for newbies, anyone know of such a thing?

Old 08-24-2008, 04:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,809,572 times
Siping is when there are several dozen little "cuts" into the tread blocks of the tires. Some tires come this way, but a tire place can sipe your existing tires as well. It creates several dozen small "grippy" edges that improve ice traction (all other factors being equal). Is it a dramatic improvement? Yes. I was having issues going down some steep hills on icy roads in my Suburban (since 4WD does nothing downhill on the brakes) and this road is so steep you can't just put it in 1st and let it run. You MUST ride the brake for about 50-75' or you're going to wipe out. The before and after was dramatic with the siping improving my braking and turning on ice.

Les Schwab siped all 4 tires (Pirelli ATR SUV tires) for about $50-75 IIRC. I highly suggest it. AND it makes your tires run slightly cooler in the summer, which can't hurt your tire life. And no, I'm not in the tire business or a claimed expert here...this is just what I've heard from enough wise neighbors and friends here and what I'm seeing for myself since moving here...FWIW...

Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,001,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Which part of Idaho are you heading to esselcue?
I will be staying in CdA but plan to drive a "loop", up to and around Sandpoint, on to Bonner's Ferry-Moyie Springs and then back down through the northern towns as far as Old Town/Newport. I am looking and planning and trying to decide which areas I love best. Retirement offers me the option of moving to wherever I want, basically...so it will depend of where the four winds blow me.

I drive a Subaru Forester (although I'll have a rental car for this trip) so I was interested in the tire discussion. Siping is something new to me. I shall keep it in mind when I get relocated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho