Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,387 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research for a speech in my Comm 101 class and was hoping people both from Idaho and not from Idaho could tell me what they like most and least about the state. I'd appreciate any information that could be useful in comparing and contrasting Idaho to another location. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sout2884 View Post
I'm doing some research for a speech in my Comm 101 class and was hoping people both from Idaho and not from Idaho could tell me what they like most and least about the state. I'd appreciate any information that could be useful in comparing and contrasting Idaho to another location. Thanks!
There are a lot of threads in the Idaho and Boise forums which give a lot of information of different peoples likes, dislikes, issues along with the things people love about Idaho. Usually these kinds of threads degrade into the mood of bitter people who want all to hear their sorrow and hatred.
Comparing/contrasting usually is not very effective and there has been a fair number of vs. threads being started lately by brand new posters.

I would suggest just scanning through the threads and putting your research skills to work and you will find many, many, many, many answers

Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Trolling ?? I'm smelling fish

Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Really? Maybe...hard to say. Could be a legit inquiry...and this place is full of opinions both ways...right?

I came from SoCal:

What I like best (by comparison): Too many things to mention. Sorry, just have to resort to hyperbole and say it would take a court order to get me back. Water, quality of life, weather (love the cold), snow, low crime, down-to-earth people, family environment, low traffic, more affordable land (relatively), and the list goes on.

What I like least? Bugs. Where there's a lot of water, there will be a lot of bugs. I don't mind mosquitos...bug repellent takes care of that. But I don't like the mid-summer bees/wasps. That can get excessive.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 AM

349 posts, read 1,040,488 times
Default Love it here

Boy Sage...you hit the nail on the head for me on that reply, I too would have to be beaten and dragged back to Ohio. The air here is so fresh and clean, lots of things to do without money, so many lakes and mountain trails to explore, the quality of life is so much better here, laid back attitude and friendly people. The only thing I hate is during heavy fire season, the smoke here in the Salmon Valley can be a nightmare. Hope this helps you a little.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Best things: mountains, forests, water, wildlife
Worst thing: right now...stink bugs (aka: Western Conifer Seed bugs). They give me the heeby jeebies.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Are those the flat little beetles that come in on firewood and smell kind of sweetish-stinky?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
They just come in. Any little crack or crevice. They're looking for a cozy place to spend the fall/winter. Yech.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
I'm not living in Idaho yet, but for me its the unreal scenery.. Driving up 95 along the Salmon, and Payette rivers is gorgeous. Travelling through the Palouse area with all the rolling hills, incredible farms, and old barns. Its just amazing..

The downside is I have almost run off the road several times rubber-necking trying to see it all while driving!!..

Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Are those the flat little beetles that come in on firewood and smell kind of sweetish-stinky?
Boxelder bugs are those over-populous ones that crawl all over everything in the warmer months. I forget what stinkbugs are called, but they're black and plump (about half-an-inch at full growth).

Some people can't stand stinkbugs. However, once you get an underground hornet's nest in a traffic area near your home, you'll come to a relative appreciation of the docile nature of the stinkbug, even though it's big and creepy for a northern insect. Once someone's felt a hornet's sting, even the most rugged man will run and scream like a girl after stirring one of those nests. *shudder* Hornets are all over the West, though, so they don't characterize Idaho.

On the subject of Idaho, you'd have to read my myriad of posts to get a load of all I love about it. The various ecosystems and overall remote outdoors are a favorite of mine. Also, the friendliness of an area that maintains quaintness even in its population centers. Quite a contrast to many states, as thread-browsing would surely reveal.

The biggest negative for me would probably be the air quality in the summer and winter inversion seasons when there's not enough t-storms and snow storms to wisk away the smog that settles in the valleys from forest fires and chimney fires. Nightlife was an issue when I was younger, but the population centers really took off in that respect over the past decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho