U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2006, 12:40 PM

678 posts, read 1,815,100 times
Angry Taxes.....Washington VS Idaho etc.

Hi,

Any body out there taken the time and effort to compare the overall tax load on a comparable basis for these two States ?
I haven't been able to find out what that average property tax millage is for Boise area either. Can anybody give me an estimate ??

I currently live in Washington where the Property tax millage is from 14% to 16% of the assesed value per year.

Depending on you stream of income, and how and where it is comming from, the state income tax in Idaho is an additional drain on your ability to save or conserve assets.

For those that have retired, there large purchases or total taxable expenditures are usually on the downward slide, so the sales tax does not affect them as much as the State Income Tax does.

Most everyone lives with a different situation, but Taxes are Taxes, and one should take a look at how much of there hard earned money is going out to pay them.

As an example;

If you live in Washington and you have to start taking the required distribution from your 401K or Traditional IRA acct. you will not have to pay State income tax on those moneys. For some that could be a significant amount especially when you consider you will have to pay Federal income tax as well.

My research shows that Oregon is even worse with a 9% state income tax for the majority. You will save some on the sales tax exclusion though.

Washington has No sales tax on most food which can add up if you do your own cooking.

Oh well, maybe it doesn't matter now because your giving any savingsl to the Oil Companys anyway.....

Silverfox
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 04:59 PM

279 posts, read 766,901 times
Ya know that’s all a big part on figuring what is the real cost of living.
I know when lived in Idaho it seamed a bit high but then comparing it to calif. it felt better at lest
could that be why some love living in Washington and working in Oregon

Old 06-27-2006, 06:29 PM

41 posts, read 130,007 times
Just comparing our prop taxes with my parents' in Washington, I'd say theirs are much higher. that might depend on which county you live in, too; I'm betting Boise's is higher than these rural areas. We do have sales tax on food in Idaho, which is a bummer, but our overall sales tax is lower than Washington's, so maybe that makes up for it. Then again, we do have the state income tax. I don't know....maybe if you contact the state gov'ts you can get some exact figures. There ought to be a website out there somewhere

Old 06-27-2006, 07:46 PM

149 posts, read 735,201 times
Check out this site: http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/335.html (broken link)

According to their research, Idaho's total tax burden (local, state, and fed) is 42nd. Washington comes in as 4th highest.

According to their research, Idaho is the clear winner!

Old 06-28-2006, 11:39 AM

286 posts, read 1,173,487 times
This website provides more complete information regarding various taxes.
https://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

Old 06-28-2006, 01:33 PM

313 posts, read 536,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehi
This website provides more complete information regarding various taxes.
https://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html
Thanks so much for posting this! I stumbled on it a few years ago but I lost it when my computer crashed. I have been trying to find it again (actually looked again last night!) but could not find it.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:49 PM

286 posts, read 1,173,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami
Thanks so much for posting this! I stumbled on it a few years ago but I lost it when my computer crashed. I have been trying to find it again (actually looked again last night!) but could not find it.
You're welcome. Glad to be of some help. There's a lot of useful information there.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:22 PM

691 posts, read 1,340,838 times
Lehi this is a great link to have. I have shared it with many of our friends. Thank you!!!

Chris

Old 03-09-2013, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,574 times
Lehi:
Thank you so much I'm getting ready to move from VA to either Washington or Idaho and this helps a lot. Sharon

Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,507,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace View Post
Check out this site: State and Local Tax Burdens: All Years, One State, 1977 - 2010 | Tax Foundation (broken link)

According to their research, Idaho's total tax burden (local, state, and fed) is 42nd. Washington comes in as 4th highest.

According to their research, Idaho is the clear winner!
I lived in Idaho and moved to Washington in 1980. AT THAT TIME.....Washington had MUCH LOWER TAXES for a low consumptive lifestyle.

If you buy toys....you will pay in Washington, but the taxes are linked to lifestyle.

I would rather live in Idaho for various reasons, but taxes are much higher in Idaho than Washington for the average working stiff. Washington taxes have gone down since the 1980's for the major corporations and average folks.

The poor and small business pay more than in the past. Don't buy alcohol or cigarettes in Washington. Of course, sometime next year you will get to buy dope!!! Any guess on how much in taxes you will pay on that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho