Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Yikes! Are you really expecting snow this weekend? Whoo-hoo! I will be traveling through (again) NEXT weekend and I would love to see some white dust on the ground and trees.
Just so long as you take it with you on your way back out again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
On the extreme cold nights, -10 or more, I not only leave a trickle of water running (cold water not hot or you'll have a very cold shower the next morning), but I also open the cabinet doors where the sinks are to allow the heat in there to the pipes.
Pretty much what I was taught to do in Moscow. I lived in apartments, dorms, and a duplex. It really matters whether you're in an upper story, lower story, or basement how many precautions you wanna take. Also, as someone mentioned, it'd be wise to talk to someone who knows plumbing and water utilities about where your pipes run and all that. After all, in Idaho "trade secrets" tends to translate into "fun small talk".

Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Norcalmom.

Be sure and see if the local utility might provide a free service check of your forced air heater.
Is it electric or some sort of Gas unit?
Check the filter in the heater and make sure it's clean.
Are the duct pipes accessable in the attic or crawl space? Are they properly insulated ?
Check all connections on the duct pipes and retape them with duct tape to minimize any hot air loss to non living space.
Remember cold air comes down the chimney when the fireplace is not on so check the flue pipe and see if there is a damper inside that maybe closed when not in use. If there isn't , a big chunk of cardboard in front of the fire place and some more tape will work wonders to seal out the cold. It's cheap and when you want to use the fireplace again just remove the cardboard and replace it AFTER the fire place cools off.
Buy a 48" wide or bigger roll of cheap 40 mil plastic and some blue painters tape. Cut the plastic to be a bit over sized for the entire window.
Make your own dual payne windows by installing the plastic on the inside of the windows with the blue painters tape. Cover the entire window frame and all.
It will be a miracle take my word. Fun for the family too.
35 years in the how to keep customers warm buisness for as little money as possible...
Awesome, Desertryder, is the 45 mil better than getting the hair-drier plastic stuff? I was gonna buy these on my lunch.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:40 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
whatever gets it done for the least amount of money.

good luck

Old 10-10-2008, 05:03 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
I just today bought some of the hair dryer stuff at Fred Meyer on sale buy 2 (Frost King products) get 1 free. Turns out some of their tape is old and won't stick. Any hints on how to peel the backing off the double side tape easily? It's snowing in Boise as I type this.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I just today bought some of the hair dryer stuff at Fred Meyer on sale buy 2 (Frost King products) get 1 free. Turns out some of their tape is old and won't stick. Any hints on how to peel the backing off the double side tape easily? It's snowing in Boise as I type this.
So far over here in IF, we haven't gotten any snow yet

Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I paid 10 bucks for a 10 pack 3x5 windows, comes with tape, alcohol wipes, and bonus elect. outlet insulators....did you try doing an alcohol wipe on surface prior to adhering tape? Got mine at Walmart - wish I had known abt Fred Meyers special, will check it out...how much did it cost for how much area?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I paid 10 bucks for a 10 pack 3x5 windows, comes with tape, alcohol wipes, and bonus elect. outlet insulators....did you try doing an alcohol wipe on surface prior to adhering tape? Got mine at Walmart - wish I had known abt Fred Meyers special, will check it out...how much did it cost for how much area?
I got a kit for $20 with:
6 - 3'X5' plastic
2 rolls of vinyl foam tape
2 rolls of rubber foam tape
25' of plastic seal tape (looks like clear packaging tape, 2" wide)
2 self-stick door sweeps
8 electrical outlet sealers
4 electric switch sealers
2 GFI sealers

Then I bought 2 kits with 62" X 210" plastic for $9.99 each. One of those rang up free.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:28 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
So far over here in IF, we haven't gotten any snow yet
You spoke too soon!

Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 PM

180 posts, read 748,567 times
Default Gosh...snow in Boise ... none in Post Fals ....yet!

Hi everyone! No snow here but the cold winds are making thins pretty miserable. Making us think that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho