Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 PM

19 posts, read 97,999 times

Advertisements

hello everyone. i am curious about both of these schools. i want to know their differences and similarities. i'm attracted to them because i'm looking to major in something along the lines of recreation or outdoor leadership since i love the outdoors. i'd also like to play college ball if i can. i basically just want what information you guys know about the colleges since i've been to each university's website allready. i just really want the locals opinions, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:50 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,361 times
whats IU? u mean U of I?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:21 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Question Need More Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
hello everyone. i am curious about both of these schools. i want to know their differences and similarities. i'm attracted to them because i'm looking to major in something along the lines of recreation or outdoor leadership since i love the outdoors. i'd also like to play college ball if i can. i basically just want what information you guys know about the colleges since i've been to each university's website allready. i just really want the locals opinions, thanks
Huskerfreak,

Are you saying you'd like to get a scholarship for college, or did I misunderstand? What type of college ball would you like to play?

Also, do you think you will remain in the area after college or hope to gain certain specialty information unique to different areas of ID?

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to be more clear what specifically you are hoping to find at one of the two universities you listed. Is there any specific reason you only listed those two?

Looking forward to more information from you.

MSR

Old 10-31-2008, 10:57 AM

my bad. where i come from "ball" is referring to football whatever time of year or whoever you are talking to. yea, kinda weird

but yea, football is just one option. if i can't play that in college U of I and Idaho State are still two of my top choices because they both have good outdoor programs and lots of majors to choose from involving the outdoors.
oh, the reason for listing only those two is because i'm not a fan of bigger cities.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:27 PM

210 posts, read 946,761 times
You are right, both have great outdoor programs, I think ISU's outdoor degree program is nationally recognized and a little stronger on the academicly. You can't go wrong with either school but the football program at both schools is in sad shape in terms of winning. Maybe make it easier to walk on or even get a scholarship. UI is a division I school, so more football scholarships available. ISU is FCS (formerly I-AA).

UI is more of a party/traditional school while ISU is more of a commuter school though that has changed somewhat recently with the opening of the new Dorms in the new Rendezous buiilding. ISU has great programs in health care/pharmacy, business and accounting among others. UI is great for forestry and engineering.

Both cities have world class access to the outdoors, but the surrounding terrain and climate are quite different. What kinds of outdoor activities do you enjoy?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:54 PM

thanks for the info. I enjoy hunting and fishing, backpacking, snowshoeing, winter camping, kayaking, mostly expedition type activities. do I have a slight disadvantage of getting accepted or earning a scholarship by being out of state?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:31 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,394 times
Quote:
thanks for the info. I enjoy hunting and fishing, backpacking, snowshoeing, winter camping, kayaking, mostly expedition type activities. do I have a slight disadvantage of getting accepted or earning a scholarship by being out of state?
U of I had a cooperative program with Alaska when I went there, and most of my fellow dorm rats were from there. It wouldn't hurt to explore options they may use to attract other out-of-staters.

My bro-in-law played football for U of I, and while they aren't exactly winning, the program was always well-funded and he kept an affinity for his coaches to this day. One of them even helped him network to get his foot in the door for his Sports Admin degree.

Personally, I liked the Panhandle region more than the Southeast, though they both have great outdoors recreation in the span of massive wilderness areas. If you like winter sports, that would put the Panhandle ahead by a long shot. Sun Valley is sort of like a natural amusement park, though the Sawtooths and Tetons provide for ample awesome snowshoeing expeditions. And the Frank Church wilderness... oh yeah... you can leave the urban, litterbug, noisy techno-campers far behind.

Yeah, for an avid outdoorsman, it's hard to go wrong with either of your choices... Idaho itself is a prime pick. You'll be happy with both options on that front.

Really, the starkest contrast between Moscow and Pocatello would be politics . For a liberal, youth-oriented area, you'd want Moscow. For a conservative area, you'd want Pocatello. There are always exceptions, but that's what you'll generally find in the way the townships interact with the college demographic. The best way I can think to put it is this: Pocatello treats ISU like an accessory, whereas the U of I treats Moscow like an accessory, if you know what I mean. I think Moscow better caters to the college's presence.

In any case... Happy trails!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:40 PM

210 posts, read 946,761 times
Quote:
I've enjoyed all of these activities with great success in SE Idaho. The only area I'd say N. Idaho is superior from your list is kayaking due to more water in general but SE Idaho is no slouch there either. Pocatello is centrally located to some of the best winter sports and expedition activities in the nation. Craters of the Moon, Sawtooths, White Clouds, Tetons, Wind River Range, Wasatch and more are all within a 3 hour drive. You'd love the Outdoor Program at ISU which has multiple trips of all of those activities each year and has a great Yurt system. This is one reason Outdoor Life rated Pocatello number 5 in the nation as best place for Outdoorsmen.

OutdoorLife - Paradise Found

I would also disagree with stingraynm on politics (liberal vs. conservative), thought Pocatello viewing the university as an accessory is pretty accurate, though changing. Pocatello is a larger city than Moscow, and there is much more here than just the university. Pocatello at one time was the only city in Idaho to have all of their state legislators be democrats in a largely conservative state.

I think both cities would be great choices, it just depends on what you are looking for in a University. I'm not sure on how scholarships are awarded, but I think they are mostly merit based. ISU has gotten flak from the community for giving most of the scholarships to out-of-staters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho