Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
OK, enlighten me please. The only research I've done is staring at this darn monitor. I haven't been able to find a lot of info on Blackfoot and was hoping that might be a good thing.
JimC, I sent you a Private Message.

By the way, where did you live in WY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 PM

43 posts, read 312,938 times
Private message replied to.

Most of my time in Wyoming was spent in Rock Springs and Lander. I hadn't been to WY in close to 20 years. We went there last year for vacation. I was shocked at Rock Springs and remembered why I liked Lander so much more.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:27 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Private message replied to.

Most of my time in Wyoming was spent in Rock Springs and Lander. I hadn't been to WY in close to 20 years. We went there last year for vacation. I was shocked at Rock Springs and remembered why I liked Lander so much more.
That being said, think of Blackfoot and Rock Springs as cousins

Old 03-25-2007, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,543 times
hello, I recommend Inkom, or McCammon area over Blackfoot. Lava Hot Springs is a beautiful place too. I grew up in this area and am considering moving back. I have my own kids and would like them to live in a small town. I am considering Garden Creek or Robin area, which is west of Arimo. Arimo is where the Marsh Valley High School is located, just off I-15.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,524 times
You might also look a little further south to Malad. 50 minutes to Poky...excellent FFA chapter...as many state sports banners in the gym as any school around... and rural, surrounded by mts.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 AM

8 posts, read 38,919 times
Hi, I live in Chubbuck where right now is growing like crazy. We love Chubbuck. There are actually alot of people from Calafornia moving into this area 2 on my street of 10 houses alone, as well as a family from Hawaii. My Calafornia neighbors say they love it here and have not had any problems what so ever. I personally would put Marsh Valley on the bottom of my list as well as blackfoot I am not going to sit her and bash on them but I just think for a 14 year old girl those 2 places would be the most difficult to adjust to. I personally love to go shopping in Idaho Falls but it is so cramped I could not handle living there. If you want more info please email me and I would gladly answer any more questions you have.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 PM

10 posts, read 75,626 times
Smile Pocatello Area

Jim, I live in Pocatello and it is wonderful. The culture and city is growing to a point where this former east coaster has plenty to do and enjoy. If you are looking for land, I would go no further south than Inkom on the south side of town...I would also take a strong look at Chubbuck before you go to Blackfoot. Don't get me wrong, Blackfoot is great, but small...and not a bunch of options for good times for the family. You'll find yourself driving either to Idaho Falls or Pocatello/Chubbuck for movies and dinner.

There are also parts of Bannock County just to the East and West (2-5 miles) of Pocatello that still have relatively affordable land. Take a look at the east and west benches of Pocatello. Mink Creek on the Southwest side has acreage available, as does Buckskin/Pocatello Creek area on the Northeast side. You can find land, but still be close enought to town as well...and the mountain views are gorgeous. I would also take the advice of the person who said to keep your kids in the Pocatello Schools. They are more "metropolitan" and have more options for your kids. Century High is new and beautiful.

Also, don't sweat the Mormon thing. It's not as bad as you think. At last check, the Mormon population was around 40% in Pocatello. I am a catholic boy from the east coast, and I don't even notice it. There are plenty of great pubs to grab a brew (Portneuf Valley Brewpub) and lots of gret little coffee shops (Mocha Madness). Quite frankly, Pocatello and the entire area stays pretty liberal with the influence of the college (Idaho State University).

Either way, I think you will love the area. I know I will never go back to the East Coast...and you will be AMAZED what $200k will buy you for a house here. I hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 11,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Inkom has some appeal, but you'd probably want to live somewhere AWAY from the center of town where the big industrial thing sits...driving by on the freeway I look over and think to myself "wow, wouldn't want to live in the middle of a mill/mine town"....
It's actually a cement plant....the town wouldn't be there if it weren't for that industry....and it is placed across the river from the town, so no one lives next to it. The freeway that you drove by on is paved with cement.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,890 times
Hi Jim,
I grew up in Pingree, 30 min. outside of Blackfoot, and have lived in Pocatello, my whole adult life.
Your family sounds like they would like the Blackfoot area. I was in FHA, and 4H, as I was growing up. The town is growing and yet still small and 20 minutes to Pocatello or Idaho Falls.
Good Luck. Ida

Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 AM

97 posts, read 504,036 times
Default Pocatello is not a big city

Pocatello is not a big city. Do not move there expecting big city culture and diversity. One thing to consider is that the Mormon Church controls the power structure in Pocatello and Bannock County. That's just the way it is there. Pocatello is good if you like cowboys and potato farmers. The winters can be wickedly cold and snowy. Good luck with your move whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho