Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:12 PM

241 posts, read 998,303 times

Advertisements

California Carl....The TO mall is all that I remember of that area. I did use to show my horse in Camarillo and one time in TO. The traffic is horrible in Ventura now and the last time that I was there was in '02. I miss the mountains behind Ojai and the fresh veggies but that is all that I miss from there.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 AM

7 posts, read 33,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanN View Post
Huntman58 sure seems to have "been" from alot of places. You've posted on Missouri, KC, San Fransico and also Idaho. I will go way out on a limb here and just let everyone know that huntman58's experience is abnormal for Idaho. As a life long Idaho resident who has traveled extensivly all over and have met and lived with many people, Idahoan's are by far the most friendly open, accepting people that you will find. I think in this case, I would have to say that huntman58 experienced exactly the type of attitude that he expected to find. Same goes with everone else. You will find in Idaho the exact type of lifestyle and relationships that you expect...
I'm going to vehemently disagree here. I've traveled around my fair share and I must say that Idahoans (at least the ones in northern Idaho) are by and large extremely narrow-minded, paranoid, and unfriendly to "outsiders", *especially* Californians. I can definitely relate to the anti-Californian prejudice. I remember having kids yell at me in elementary school to "go back!!" and then refuse to talk to me. I've been with my mother in the grocery store during high school and had cashiers turn icy and angry-looking as soon as she mentioned being from Los Angeles. People will literally *turn away* and stop communicating if they figure out you're from California.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 AM

19 posts, read 59,235 times
Dear Avoid Idaho,

We are all sorry for you that you had such a hard time and are so filled with regret. This is a sad event in any respect.

I am wondering what if you did not say that you were from California? What if you said you were from Colorado or Montana? Why not, what will they ever know?

Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 AM

7 posts, read 33,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilt View Post
Dear Avoid Idaho,

We are all sorry for you that you had such a hard time and are so filled with regret. This is a sad event in any respect.

I am wondering what if you did not say that you were from California? What if you said you were from Colorado or Montana? Why not, what will they ever know?
Thank you, DMilt.

I didn't ever want to have to lie about where I was from to gain acceptance from Idahoans. I thought that would be an even more ludicrous travesty. My grandmother actually told my mother when we first got there that she should lie about being from California and not drive her car with its CA license plates because it would help us find housing faster. That was one of our first indications of, "What did we just get ourselves into??"

Old 10-13-2006, 04:40 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You sound like me (I am on the other coast in NY)..I wonder WHO has money here for our homes ($500,000-and up). We know people who bought a house at half a mil and they are gutting it/fixing it up..

I asked my mom and dad how these people afford this and they shrugged their shoulders. They are just working class people! (I wonder what their mortgage is..?)
Creative financing!!! And alot of people are cashing out in other states such as California and paying cash for homes in Idaho, Texas, etc.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:09 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
ByranN....Not to be argumentative but you are wrong. I have experienced the same attitude that Huntman58 has and I sitll experience it today. True not all Idahoans are that way but the majority are. Why should anyone be treated so poorly cuz they are from another state, specifically CA?

I am proud to be a native Cali kid! I grew up in Ventura CA at a dam called Casitas Dam, the lake is known for it's great bass fishing. My nearest neighbor was over a mile away and I got to go fishing every day after school and in places where the normal joe couldn't go. I was raised in the Church of Christ with my father being the minister and we were taught that all ppl are worthy of respect until they themselves loose that respect with you. Every one was alloted respect no matter if you knew them or not. I have never experienced that here in Idaho and I was expecting them to be like my family was. My 15 yrs here has been very disappointing to say the least.

Magpies...The great Idaho outdoors is very appealing to most ppl. I myself spent tons of time in the Targhee forest up in Ashton. My children and I would go to Pole Bridge campground to hike around. Not once did we ever leave a mess or ask for the roads to be paved. I do have a grudge against certain snow machiners and how they treat the trails and tore up the wonderful old train tunnel at Bear Creek. When we would go to Mesa Falls we always paid $20 for our parking and time there, just cuz we loved it.

So not everyone from CA wants to ruin the great ourdoors. Most places in the mountains in Cali require a pass to get into now and that is just plain stupid and one reason why many outdoor ppl leave the sate, besides the urban sprawl.

When I had my horse borded in Rigby there was a guy from Cali that was a complete a**. He wanted the outdoors but didn't want the smells or bugs, stupid. Well he started to shoot the horses to keep them away from the barn cuz his pea brain thought that would stop the flies. That kind of person is from every where he just happen to be from Cali and he is the type that gives Californians a bad name.
I take you hat off to you for having the guts to tell the truth about how some treat others in Idaho that area from another state.
After ten years I found most still wee not very excepting of my family if they found out we were from calif. .
I will also add there are good and bad people from every state but, it seams most Idaho people are very unfriendly to calif people and dot not want to even get to know you. I have also found this true just reading post here compared to some other states. Funny thing is I can move and live in any state I want to yet I had chosen Idaho and wish I never had and was glad to leave. The taste Idaho left in my mouth makes me never want to even step foot there again or even pass threw on my way to other states. Combine all this with the at will and right to work attitude Idaho will not change much. My son even tells me that it has gotten worse since in the time I have been gone and now even he is look to get out and yet he has lived and worked there most of his life
So thanks for having the guts to post a real truth

Old 10-14-2006, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,135 times
Yes, we too are Californians looking to move to Idaho. Why? Because even though I love the beauty of the ocean and the friends we made here, we can't afford the skyhigh prices of homes and the cost of living here. I want my sons to be able to afford a home some day and I see it is possible in Idaho. I can understand how the Idahoans see us from California making prices rise for them. We saw that happen here, especially after the .com explosion. I know so many people are in debt up to their eyeballs. Idaho is our way out of finacial strain. My Dad was born and raised in Pocatello then his family moved to San Francisco because of work. So I consider our move as coming back home. I promise we will be good neighbors.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:10 PM

13 posts, read 72,453 times
First - Hello to My3Arabs & California Carl -- I'm from Ventura County California as well and relocated to Idaho in 1997.

Ok, back to the topic at hand, the dreaded Californian.

Some of the most wonderful people I have ever met in my life have been Californians. I like most Californians, I really do. I think that their migration to Idaho will bring change, it’s inevitable. We want Costco’s, Whole Foods, In n Out burger, and our beloved Trader Joes. However, because we have always had these things, we take it for granite that they should be every place we move too. We also want a wide variety of restaurants and fresh sushi (ok, maybe it’s just me that wants the raw fish). We’re also used to many types of alternative health care and a wide variety of cultural arts. I really don’t think that these changes are for the worse for Idaho, I welcome them.

HOWEVER – My husband and I moved to Colorado for a year. There are strip malls, Costco’s, Whole Foods, and lots of other California Amenities. So much so that I felt I had moved to a suburb of California. There is urban sprawl everywhere – and the ski resorts are too packed to enjoy. Just like California. The house prices rise constantly, and in Boulder they are the same as California house prices. If we wanted all that, we would have moved back to California.

So here we are in Pocatello Idaho, and I still fight the fact that its “different” from California. I still want all the “stuff” – I want the convenience and the culture. But at the same time, I don’t want this place to turn into another California – I don’t want this place to become filled with urban sprawl. But what can I do to prevent it? I don’t own the land, or make the laws, or build the track housing (with the hideously ugly siding, ick!) without thought.

I think part of Idaho’s problem is that it has not thought about what its town will look like if they all look the same. Same strip malls, same stores, same housing tracks. They have not thought about urban sprawl, because they believe the open space will go forever. What they don’t realize that as more people come to enjoy the beauty, they need to think about preserving that beauty. Unfortunately it happens after the fact – after the hills are fenced off and million dollar homes are built. (Speaking of which, has anyone been over to Tetonia, Driggs, or Victor? Victor is going to redeveloped its town and make it look like Jackson Hole Jr – with the same fenced off million dollar homes).

Californians are coming – why? House prices, property taxes, and the insanity of overpopulation. We want wide open spaces and the ability to afford a home. So maybe instead of blaming us Californians, maybe the state and the individual cities should think seriously how a population increase will effect their native home. Perhaps they should come up with a state plan, and each city should come up with a state plan. Fighting and blaming us for everything won’t work – we are not the enemy. We want what you want, a home, a car, and a secure job (or business). Maybe, we can all work together, Californian migrants and native Idahoans, and come up with a plan that makes most of the people happy. Remember, Californians can bring good things like business and restaurants – but as someone mentioned, Californians need to remember – This is Idaho NOT California – we don’t need to California-ize this state like we did to Arizona and Colorado.

Just a thought from a person that happened to be born in California and likes living in Idaho.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:31 AM

16 posts, read 75,521 times
Default I second that

Hi Greg, I'm from Victorville and I moved here from Chino for the same reasons. I thought I was getting out of something (the invasion) but it followed me or I folled it, still can't tell. I'm selling my house quick before the summer comes again and leaving. VV is now the new LA North. Full of gangs, punks-wanna be's, you name it from down the hill areas. Some good people are here like myself, and we purchased a home and felt all cozy for awhile, until we looked around and saw the section-8s, the renters, and so on. The High Desert is aptly named. You are high to come here, high to stay here, and high if you like it. Idaho may not like Californians, but I have a feeling that they will continue to get more until the border is under control. Funny that we don't hear about Idaho folks coming to California to avoid the Canadian invasion. Must be easy to criticise us for leaving So-Cal. Up North is really the same only smaller. They have ilegals there too but not nearly the same. Here in Hollyhood it's cool to be a punk and put your hat on backwards and act like a buffoon. In fact it's the norm. That's why we're coming.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:02 PM

140 posts, read 491,303 times

Amen. It just keeps getting worse here every year, We are surrouned by illegals and they don't seem to be stopping them. That is a big reason we're comming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho