Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,631 times

Advertisements

Today, this sad news comes from LocalNews8.com:

Quote:
BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A new report that studies on how the sputtering economy is affecting states shows Idaho is one of the most stressed in the nation.

The report by the Kaiser Family Foundation considers unemployment rates, home foreclosures, food stamp usage among other factors. Few of the statistics are new. But the report puts the data into a statewide context and measures how states are doing now compared to a year ago.

The report says Idaho is the third most stressed state in the nation, trailing Nevada and Florida. It finds twice as many Idaho workers are unemployed now than last year and food stamp use has grown by 26 percent. It also says one in every 479 homes is in some phase of foreclosure.

The report concludes Idaho has experienced a brisk and sudden downturn compared to other states.
pimit2 (Bob)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
This is extremely sad although I thought Michigan was leading?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
I don't dispute that, however over here in SE Idaho we're still seeing new businesses popping up almost daily.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I don't dispute that, however over here in SE Idaho we're still seeing new businesses popping up almost daily.
But, Boise has a stressed economy right now, and its the largest area for jobs, so it will be affecting the whole state.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Not to downplay the stress many may be feeling, but that measure is one in which small states are often the extreme--sort of like plopping down a big rock in the bathtub. Although they are #3 in the US for unemployment and are by far the worse state for foreclosures (5.5 times worse than Idaho), Nevada ranks behind Idaho.

Watch. When the financial picture calms down, Idaho will zoom toward the middle of the pack...and when things turn up, Idaho will be near the leaders.

That said, it has been a roller coaster for many...

Here is hoping that we keep our integrity and perspective through this and remained focused on managing our state with prudence, wisdom and vision.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Good points, Sandpointian. This report is really about how the states are performing compared to a year ago. Because Idaho was one of the most healthy states before this thing hit, we fall further. Not to minimize the pain many are feeling, but I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. For example, the unemployment rate in Oregon and California is much higher than Idaho.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Today, this sad news comes from LocalNews8.com:

pimit2 (Bob)
Many homes are up for sale. Many of them are empty and in foreclosure. Also, Idaho Foodbank was during the holidays (and probably still is) short on food donations. Sad news.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 PM

238 posts, read 863,499 times
The unemployment that doesn't fit into the figures plainly here in the Treasure Valley is the construction related jobs that have been sitting over a year now. They are no longer collecting unemployment, thus they aren't realy counted untill their effect has been felt in other sectors.

There used to be half again as much trafic as I see now during business hours because everybody and their brother had a cement, framing, siding, roofing, drywall, etc, landscaping, etc, designing, etc type of business... Many of those are now either sitting, or running 1/2 a crew when they can.

The housing downturn has affected employment in ways the stats don't realy point out very well.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by Need2Leave; 02-04-2009 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: cuz

Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,871 times
newly disabled about to loose my home and I live in Tuscaloosa Al, and it's hard.If the truth be told we are worst economically.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,631 times
It troubled me to read your story, debrawilliams2009.

While we are obviously concerned about the economy where we live, we forget that the nation's economic quandary is widespread, and not ours alone. The problem is impacting folks like you in every corner of our country.

Thank you for reminding us in Idaho that the problem is not just Idaho's. I pray that your situation finds a happy ending quickly.

pimit2 (Bob)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho