Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrieh View Post
Coeur d Alene) is more "diverse", ie, full of self-righteous "tolerant" liberals if that's what you're looking for. Half of Coeur d Alene migrated from California.
I'm not saying you're completely wrong since that's YOUR experience obviously, but I haven't met hardly any liberal folks in CDA. Most of the ones I've met who migrated from California moved here because it's pretty conservative. I think of all the people we know, there's only one or two families that matches your description. Obviously I acknowledge the fallacy of logic that would lead me to believe that MY anecdotal experience defines the truth, but on the same token, I know a LOT of people through sports and other social networks, and it's a pretty conservative/moderate bunch. More fiscally conservative and socially moderate than "liberal". So at least here is a second viewpoint to consider.

But yeah...seems that about 50% of CDA people came from California. But many of them for the same reasons that I came to Sandpoint, so it's not all bad. The main issue I have with CDA people (versus Sandpoint) is that people have that SoCal "me first" attitude in traffic, lines, etc, where in Sandpoint people still let you in line in traffic (and I mean stop a whole line of cars to let you in going out of their way to be polite, and it's just "expected" here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 02:50 PM

27 posts, read 99,280 times
Yes, that is of course based on my experience and one's idea of what constitutes "liberal" is subjective. I grew up on SE Idaho and moved to Northern Idaho when I attended the U of Idaho in Moscow. So *compared* to SE Idaho, Northern Idaho seemed way liberal. But you are right--compared to the Bay Area, it's still conservative.

And you have a good point about why people might want to move there in the first place.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM

27 posts, read 99,280 times
I grew up in, not on, but it won't let me edit my post. >:-(

Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
I just had lunch with my conservative LDS coworker, who kept bring up what a great job Obama is doing. My conservative non-LDS neighbors tell me how glad they are Obama won. Don't play the stereotype game - I hear there's no winning it.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
sav

62 posts, read 303,236 times
Default amen norcalmom

Couldn't agree w/ you more that people surprise you all of the time. Living in Idaho Falls, I still often find that I pre-judge people and assume that they are conservative, Mormon etc...and am often surprised to find that I am wrong and am guilty of stereotyping.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Well Sun Valley was the ONLY county that voted "blue" in the latest election if thats any indicator.. I guess Demi Moore and Bruce Willis REALLY got out the vote..Ha!!!
Just my take, I think it would be very hard to be a "vocal liberal" anywhere in Idaho
NOT. Where I volunteer there are plenty of them, believe you me.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times
Why is it OK to be concerned about Mormons, but there shouldnt be any concerns voiced about liberals coming into a conservative area? my brother lives in N. id. Ive been around him and abunch of others he works with and such. they are not just conservative, but understand the constitution as it was written. they believe like it was stated before, its conservative, dont like it dont come here. thats the way they are. these are not young skinheads. these are people that have lived there life and know what they want and who they want around them. they make no apology nor excuses.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:12 AM

130 posts, read 428,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
Couldn't agree w/ you more that people surprise you all of the time. Living in Idaho Falls, I still often find that I pre-judge people and assume that they are conservative, Mormon etc...and am often surprised to find that I am wrong and am guilty of stereotyping.
When I first moved to Idaho, I heard through the grapevine that I was 'one of those Democrats'. It couldn't have been farther from the truth. But it was assumed, since I was from Western Washington, that I had to be a liberal. All they had to do was ask, but it's easier to assume. Something we're all guilty of, I suppose.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Just what do you mean by "tolerant"?

By the wording in the OP, he equates "liberal" with "tolerant." Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Do you mean the false, condescending, superior "tolerance" exhibited by the closed-minded neo-comms who run most media, most college administrations, almost all newspapers and newsmagazines, and who spend their time decrying anyone who dares disagree with them?
The ones who label anyone who strays from the party line as racist, sexist, homophobe (note the assignment of a mental illness label to the put-down), greedy, and irony of ironies, intolerant.
Are you talking about those tolerant people?

Or do you mean the "tolerance" of folks who understand and believe in the US Constitution (what remains of it), and the implied right to be left alone, to be able to speak honestly without being shouted down by the "tolerant" ones who can't stand dissent?
That's what happens regularly--and is never reported on TV or radio news or in the big newspapers--on college campuses across America today.
Colleges are supposed to be, or should be I suppose, places where all sides of an issue are explored openly, where the young learners can make up their own minds after hearing and participating in such debates.
Right-side speakers are heckled, badgered, threatened, by mobs of "tolerant" lefties.
Curiously, left-side speakers never have that problem.

How odd.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I'm not saying you're completely wrong since that's YOUR experience obviously, but I haven't met hardly any liberal folks in CDA. Most of the ones I've met who migrated from California moved here because it's pretty conservative. I think of all the people we know, there's only one or two families that matches your description. Obviously I acknowledge the fallacy of logic that would lead me to believe that MY anecdotal experience defines the truth, but on the same token, I know a LOT of people through sports and other social networks, and it's a pretty conservative/moderate bunch. More fiscally conservative and socially moderate than "liberal". So at least here is a second viewpoint to consider.

But yeah...seems that about 50% of CDA people came from California. But many of them for the same reasons that I came to Sandpoint, so it's not all bad. The main issue I have with CDA people (versus Sandpoint) is that people have that SoCal "me first" attitude in traffic, lines, etc, where in Sandpoint people still let you in line in traffic (and I mean stop a whole line of cars to let you in going out of their way to be polite, and it's just "expected" here).
Odd. I guess it's how it's weighted.

The first thing I noticed in CdA was how folks yielded in traffic, how polite they were in supermarkets.

One day a guy's trailer jumped its hitch just past an intersection. Before you could say jack robinson, four or five guys were out of their trucks/cars helping him pick up his lumber, re-hitch his trailer, etc.
But, we were in the Philly area and before that exposed to Taxachusetts drivers for years, many of whom have a Kill or Be Killed/Survival of the Fittest outlook on driving/aiming/clearing the road...

However, in just three years I've seen a change, and it's not for the better. People regularly will cut you off in a traffic circle now, and the courtesy factor has decreased noticeably. Maybe that's what makes big citiy folk so tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho