Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,405,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
Ok lol, I just thought maybe you knew something I did'nt, like maybe there was a study done or something.
No inside track down here. Though one day I hope to relate on a more first-hand level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,008 times
Default Know your numbers

People need to be aware of the economic situation before moving to an area. North Idaho is beautiful but in Bonner County the avg household makes $43,000 about $7,000 less than the national average. The median homeprice is $218,000 about $37,000 MORE than the national average (US Census 2007). So the lady who's hubby makes $60,000 - bully for you, but for most of us we are both working and making $43,000. I guess I am forturnate, My husband and I both work fulltime and get as much OT as possible - we made $46,000 this year.

How do the people up here do it? They do without. My newest vehicle is 18 years old. We hunt and fish to fill the freezer. Have fruit trees and a garden and can our veggies. Wood stoves are a must - so yes we have an old 4-wheel drive. For entertainment we go for a hike or read a book. We eat dinner out at a fancy restaurant probably twice a year and I can count the number of times I went to the ballet on one hand.

But the people are wonderful and we help each other out - if you can be nice.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM

10 posts, read 41,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyfella View Post
my problem with post falls is how in gods name do people make a living ? and how in gods precious name do you sell anything here ? ive tried unsuccefully to make a run at building and selling one home a yaer just to run my own little heaven of a gig small bussiness to only have the damn thing sit 2 years with no one interested as if the damn thing has the friggin plague further more to i tried unsuccefully to sell my own personal home in the supposebly best area of post falls riverside harbor only to have it treated like it to had the plague and both are well under appraised value , lastly out of desperation i tried to sell a mint 1996 z28 camaro convertible for dirt cheap only to have it also treated like it contained some type of plague i feel north idahos way toooo conservative and it makes living here miserable, im from montana where i sold alot of homes land cars and nevr had oneproblem, further more people need to quit being so god damn greedy and selfish it seems in idaho no one looks at anything you have for sale even tho they love it unless their getting an out right steal and i feel its being selfish and greedy i feel in any transaction both parties should walk away feeling whole and good about their decision but god forbid that ever happens in north idaho land of the greedy greedy conservatives what we need it more liberals or left leaners in this area then things will thrive for everyone not just the ultra rich with gold spoons in their mounths from when they were born , if i could sell one friggin home a year id be ok but idaho cant produce and im growing very very depressed as i have 3 kids im raising single handily and beleive me these homes are very very nice homes on hugh lots
What an interesting post this is and such irony.

We make a living by working hard and living at or below our means.
us supposed ultra rich conservatives ( so funny) Usually do not live in what you consider the "best area" Seeing as you do maybe you have the politics backwards hmm...
Actually the best areas are the opposite.
We buy and sell things at fair prices not over inflated ones.
We dont buy cameros mint or otherwise we buy useful transportation.
We are so greedy and selfish that we pitch in and help our neighbors,take care of the land/wildlife the proper way & treat people with respect.
We hunt and fish for extra food,we cut wood to heat our homes and we play in the fresh air outdoors

I am a transplant myself I moved here to get away from the things you want. We just recently moved to Post falls and love it.Our neighbors welcomed us with open arms & baked goods too boot
Thriving is being happy, healthy,safe and at peace .I dont need or want your idea of thriving thanks.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:06 PM

148 posts, read 499,437 times
cdaartlady., what a nice response. i too will be a transplant next summer and have only good things to say about the people of north idaho. we are leaving the midwest where it seems that people are changing. many don't know their neighbors, nor care to meet them. people just seem like they are becoming more and more selfish.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 AM

28 posts, read 77,816 times
Unhappy You're 100% accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander dave View Post
cdaartlady., what a nice response. i too will be a transplant next summer and have only good things to say about the people of north idaho. we are leaving the midwest where it seems that people are changing. many don't know their neighbors, nor care to meet them. people just seem like they are becoming more and more selfish.

I am from the midwest as well, Chicago to be exact, and I have found people to be more and more selfish. Now, this is a general statement of course, but I have found people to be into making money buying and selling real estate instead of living in them, buying all this excess at stores, and just hoping to be a celebrity one day. Believe it or not, the Hollywood lifestyle managed to get its claws into this part of the country too. Dave, what area do you recommend in North Idaho for just a normal existence?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:01 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,260,867 times
Default There is a Solution!

The solution to selfishness is active selflessness.

Voting in local elections is about 20-25% of eligible voters. Absolutely pathetic. With freedom comes responsibility.

Participation in most local debates is dominated by denial, sound bytes, and "arrogant ignorance." The country no longer discusses fairly complex policies in a civilized manner. Instead we have have unqualified media celebrities and former pageant queens discussing foreign policy and complex economic and regulatory policies. It's both surreal and dangerous.

While many towns have vibrant farmers markets, community events, and "barn raising" type events, bigger cities have far less (as a % of population).

Tax laws favor the break-up of families and raising of capital at the cost of community.

Corporate governance insults our intelligence. SEC Chief Cox must be the biggest moron ever appointed. That he has not been burned in effigy is a sign of our cultural decline. CEOs and their Boards pay each other obscene amounts of money--not for success but for abject failure. Sad and enraging and un-American.

Finally, there is media. If there is a fifth columnist or devious unseen force out there, it cold not do a better job at gutting our moral and ethical sense of well-being than modern media. Wow!! They are right up there with credit card companies--pure evil and ignorance. A generation ago we had Eric Sevareid, Walter Cronkite, Howard K Smith, and Harry Reasoner. Tom Brokaw was the last of his kind. We used to have great debates on TV (I recall Chomsky vs William F. Buckley). Heck, even pop media for kids a generation ago was solidly earnest and middle class (Romper Room, Mr. Rogers, Electric Company, Sesame Street), Courtship of Eddie's Father, Brady Bunch, etc. compared to the filth and bizzaroland values of today's neowealthy and spoiled.

Raising a generation of thinking, caring, and action-oriented youth and getting our presently irresponsible generation to get our act together is the greatest challenge we have.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,803,808 times
Great post Sandpointian....but we should try to drift back to the thread topic now.....but..a great post....

Old 12-29-2008, 02:49 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,256,946 times
I have been keeping an eye on houses in CDA area for 6 months or so and have noticed prices go down, at least on the searches I have been doing.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 AM

134 posts, read 601,235 times
They are going down some. There are also some good deals to be had on bank owned and soon to be bank owned properties if you have the time and patience to buy them. There are also some interesting financing options and scenarios where the seller pays the first few months mortgage for you.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM

32 posts, read 120,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Welcome to the wild, wild west! The little guy is getting squeezed out of North Idaho, too.
Real estate prices are being pushed up by the influx of Californian's who see these prices as "reasonable"
compared to what they might pay for same in CA. The average family is fast becoming the 'dinosaur' of North Idaho too,
as far as I can tell. If someone has some magic fairy dust to sprinkle and share with all us "regular joe's" - that'd be great!

And YES it is GORGEOUS in North Idaho! That's giving folks another great excuse to bump up real estate prices.

removed
Your post was 03-28-2007 ~ which was towards the end of the remarkable run up in Real Estate:

I reckon what you're saying is true but misleading; many of us, from California, live in the country and 'our' price of housing is much more in line with Idaho prices than those from the San Francisco and L.A. Bay Areas and San Diego. If you check the rest of California ~ most of us live in relatively affordable neighborhoods like everybody else. Also, now that the famous bubble has popped, you can buy houses in Northern California (closer to Oregon than S.F.) for under $200k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho