Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating moving to Idaho or Utah when I retire within six years. I was raised in California and have lived in Texas for the past 30 years. I am needing to escape the brutally hot, humid, and long summers and I haven't really ever liked the South anyway for one reason or another.

A few things I'm looking for:

weather possibly like Boise or Twin Falls ~ not a lot of snow, decent summer temperatures

no city life for me and far away from it ~ rural town with a tad of charm ~ a modest home and an acre or two ~ population low, not over 2,000 (lesser the better) ~ prefer living on the outskirts of a small town

no bad air quality due to it traveling to a small town from a larger city, hence another reason to be away from the maddening crowd

would like an area with a view of the mountains and lots of trees

low crime

Can anyone give me a jump start on what small towns to check out? I have an Idaho travel guide and have checked out a few areas via the internet, but I'd like to hear firsthand what people who live in Idaho have to say.

I've only been to ID once (Coeur-d'Alene). It's beautiful, but I think it would be a bit too cold for me. I remember one 4th of July bundling up my children to go outside for the fireworks. Four distinct seasons would be nice, just nothing brutal in any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 04:53 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Try Lewiston. Or Moscow ?

Old 03-14-2009, 04:54 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Even though Boise is the "big" city in Idaho, there are several areas nearby where you could live remotely and still be in the banana belt of Idaho.

I'm not so sure south central Idaho is what you'd be interested in due to the inversion layers and yes that area and get quite cold and snowy.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Try Lewiston. Or Moscow ?
Both way too populated, Moscow too much snow, but I'll look on the web in Lewiston's area and see what remote places I can find. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Even though Boise is the "big" city in Idaho, there are several areas nearby where you could live remotely and still be in the banana belt of Idaho.

I'm not so sure south central Idaho is what you'd be interested in due to the inversion layers and yes that area and get quite cold and snowy.
You are definitely correct. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
I mean this nicely, but you really can't have your cake and eat it too in Idaho. If you want forests and trees and views of the mountains you'll get a lot of snow and colder temperatures. If you want warmer weather with little snow you'll likely be in the desert valley, in which case you'll deal with poor air quality (for a number of reasons), wind, wind, wind, and it being not as scenic.

Hagerman is about as close as you'll get, I think. It's a small town (a few hundred people), somewhat of an older population there. It's the banana belt of Southern Idaho, so it tends to be warmer. About an hour from Twin Falls, an hour and a half from Boise. Close to the Snake River. About two hours to any mountains.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I mean this nicely, but you really can't have your cake and eat it too in Idaho. If you want forests and trees and views of the mountains you'll get a lot of snow and colder temperatures. If you want warmer weather with little snow you'll likely be in the desert valley, in which case you'll deal with poor air quality (for a number of reasons), wind, wind, wind, and it being not as scenic.

Hagerman is about as close as you'll get, I think. It's a small town (a few hundred people), somewhat of an older population there. It's the banana belt of Southern Idaho, so it tends to be warmer. About an hour from Twin Falls, an hour and a half from Boise. Close to the Snake River. About two hours to any mountains.
No problem, as that's what I'm trying to find out. If it can't be done, that will be okay. I'll check out Hagerman though. Many thanks.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Meadowview. St. Mary's.

This is a big state. Not Texas big, but big and sparsely populated.

As others have said, any location will have compromises.

This is not the south, we have low humidity summers, snowy winters. You'll find what you need.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Meadowview. St. Mary's.

This is a big state. Not Texas big, but big and sparsely populated.

As others have said, any location will have compromises.

This is not the south, we have low humidity summers, snowy winters. You'll find what you need.
I'd second St Maries.. Great little town.. also nearby Plummer and Worley have very mild winters.. CDF and the other sites say 16" a year average snowfall... One of the reasons Im leaving here is the dreadfull heat.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Lightbulb I'd Recommend Taking UT OFF of Your List

Stay north of the Utah border. Utah was the fastest growing state this year.

Good luck finding your special place.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho