Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Fisherman, that's pretty cool! I've only seen a bobcat once in the wild, would like to see one up close like that. Well, maybe not quite that close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:18 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We don't have many mosquitos around here that I've seen. One thing we get at our current place are clouds of tiny bugs, my wife calls them "buffalo gnats". They are around for about 3 weeks in late May-June, they seem to really be attracted to people. We didn't have them at our old place (south of CDA).

Watch out for bald faced hornets, they are a little black and white bug, looks like a bee but with a white face and white body where a bee would be yellow. Nasty sting, I ingested one while on the atv and got stung in the back of the mouth...not pleasant at all!
So, good news and bad news, eh? Happy to hear the mosquito problem isn't as bad as I thought. I'll try not to eat bald faced hornets ...our dog is addicted to eating bees (go figure), so I guess we'll have to watch out so she doesn't expand her diet when we get up there!

Fisherman, how cool, seeing a bobcat in the back yard! Provided you don't have pets. We've got a bobcat in the canyon up the road; it's been spotted by several people, and we know our dog has seen it--she wouldn't walk past that certain spot in the canyon for the longest time. We know we have bears on our NID property--so we're wondering how our dog is going to deal with that when she finds out!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,416 times
We have bear here also. Have not seen one in years. About 10 years ago a mom and two cubs were standing on top of some stairs that go up to the street. Our Rottweiler started barking and acting very brave until momma bear bounced up and down making a huffing sound.

My dog got in between my legs and continued barking. The bear did not seem too impressed and walked off. That is my sum total of knowledge about bear and dogs. Did not see any bugs that day ha ha.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:00 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I have lived in N. Idaho since 1981. Bugs are not bad here. You can get smaller spiders in the house, sometimes earwigs, in the spring maybe carpenter ants that make it inside, or a small beetle here and there. Mosquitos can be more prevalent in some areas than others. they like standing water of course. I have only had one tick on me in all those years and that was walking through the tree in the woods in Colburn. I just saw it on my sweater and knowcked it off. Not even our dog has had ticks althought we use that flea and tick monthly treatment on her. Of course when I lived in the woods the bugs were worse than living in town now.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the info broken crayola. Idaho gets better and better each day.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I forgot about the wasps and yellow jackets. They can get nasty if you live out of town and if it is a dry summer. We would set traps and I usually kept a sprinkler going somewhere in the yard so they had a means of getting water and not being as aggresive.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:47 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I'll try not to eat bald faced hornets ...our dog is addicted to eating bees (go figure), so I guess we'll have to watch out so she doesn't expand her diet when we get up there!

We have a dog that does the same thing, he curls his lips back and snaps at them 'till he gets them. Wasps, yellow jackets and bees. Been doing it for years, I've only seen him stung once.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We have a dog that does the same thing, he curls his lips back and snaps at them 'till he gets them. Wasps, yellow jackets and bees. Been doing it for years, I've only seen him stung once.
First time I've ever heard of another dog doing that! I think they're addicted to the buzz. So maybe we have a solution to the yellowjacket problem in NID... We'll just clone our dogs!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 PM

My old dog used to grab a wood spider in her teeth. Curl her lips like she was grinning and crush it than spit it out. Yuck. Big old nasty looking things too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho