U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM

420 posts, read 733,779 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know how bad the bugs are in spring and summer. Are we talking 757 size mosquitoes and Giant Bird eating spiders, or the garden variety gnats, blackflies, wasps, ticks and beetles.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM

1,043 posts, read 2,182,444 times
Ive spent quite a bit of time up there in the spring and summer and was actually suprised how little the bugs bothered us. Even when camping on the lake we didnt have many issues.. There were some knats but they werent much of a problem. Even on my property I have layed down in the grass to relax and didnt have anything crawling on me.. There might be others with different stories about thier area, but thats been my experience. Never been bit by a skeeter there yet
Here its bug central.. We get flies like crazy in the spring/summer. Some years ALOT of earwigs, those bugs that make yer car look you went through a mustard wash, mosquito's, ants galore, and bee's..

Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 PM

433 posts, read 812,298 times
Mosquitoes, a normal-size variety, can be bothersome in wet years when lots of standing water is available. How often is that? I've lived in the Panhandle for 6 years. 2005 was the only year when mosquitoes were a problem. Even then, it wasn't terrible. Outdoors in the warm evenings, an application of a good repellant kept them at bay.

Three or four kinds of innocuous house spiders are present in small numbers. None are very large or too scary. Once again, their numbers differ by the year. What kind of numbers? I recall seeing - and slaying - about 10 over the past year.

Small clouds of gnats (midges) can be seen over wet, grassy areas in the warmer months, but they pose no threat. Hornets build nests in trees and on houses in the Sandpoint area. The nests are easily eliminated. Ants can also be a problem in Sandpoint, but are easy to overcome. House flies also appear in larger numbers is some years versus others, but larger horse flies and deer flies are found in the more rural areas. Neither, in my opinion, presents a large problem.

Ticks - particularly the Rocky Mountain and the Dog Tick varieties associated with spotted fever - can be found throughout the mountainous and forested areas of Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Care to stay away from these ticks is important for man and his dogs. When found on the body, ticks should be carefully and completely removed with sharp-pointed tweezers. A slow, straight pull from the skin is suggested instead of a twisting motion. Any removed ticks should be stored in a tight-lid container and taken to your county's public health laboratory for evaluation.

Hope this was helpful.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info sounds about like where I live now. I can handle normal size spiders, just don't like those tarantulas crawling around my house. Trace, being from Riverside, can understand that.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Thanks for the info sounds about like where I live now. I can handle normal size spiders, just don't like those tarantulas crawling around my house. Trace, being from Riverside, can understand that.
You got that right fisherman.. Our little dog Sam was barking like crazy a couple weeks ago.. There was a BIG tarantula in the house.. I know they cant hurt you, but if the wife had come across that thing she would have fainted.. We get brown recluse's, and black widow's also.
We get other "exotic" buggery around here too.. Those millipedes creep me out pretty good, and we've even had scorpions around here.
I think of all the bugs that I really dislike here it would be the earwigs..
In the summertime its like everything you pick up has a bunch of those freakin things under it.. Im definitely not gonna miss all the creepy crawlies in Slow Cal..

Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Need to paint inside, get new appliances, and put this puppy up for sale in may or june. Hope it sells quick, I would hate to move in winter.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,301,408 times
Black widows down here, yes, and we have these pesky little black flies that bite. But hardly any yellowjackets or mosquitos! In Clark Fork we'll have to deal with skeeters from the lake and river delta, I'm sure, and I've seen those late-summer yellowjackets in the Panhandle, they come at you like guerilla warriors. For the past 25 years we've had screen tents in the backyard here in SoCal, and that'll give you peace of mind during those nice outside meals--I guess we'll just get another screen tent for our NID property! Different bugs, same nuisance.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:10 AM

13,067 posts, read 6,398,304 times
We don't have many mosquitos around here that I've seen. One thing we get at our current place are clouds of tiny bugs, my wife calls them "buffalo gnats". They are around for about 3 weeks in late May-June, they seem to really be attracted to people. We didn't have them at our old place (south of CDA).

Watch out for bald faced hornets, they are a little black and white bug, looks like a bee but with a white face and white body where a bee would be yellow. Nasty sting, I ingested one while on the atv and got stung in the back of the mouth...not pleasant at all!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM

We have yellow jackets where I live now in Lake Arrowhead. Mosquitoes, Black Widows, Wood Spiders, etc. Yesterday my wife fed a peanut to a gray squirrel on our deck. I was watching the squirrel eat the nut. I was chomping down on a large piece of Salmon, and saw a flash of brown and white streak past the glass door. A Bobcat was trying to catch the poor squirrel and missed him.

The cat was less than 2 feet from where I was standing, and the only thing separating us was a piece of glass. The cat looked through the slider at me and meowed like some tame tabby cat, then slowly walked off. I have seen them in the yard before but never this close up. Sounds like some story I made up, but it really happened. I am just glad I didn't choke on the salmon.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Wow! that will get yer BP up huh Fisherman?.. I really love seeing the wild life on my property but thats a little close for comfort..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho