U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:00 PM

156 posts, read 286,702 times
Default Location hunting for Eastwood's "Pale Rider"

I remember seeing this movie as a kid when it came out in theaters and being awestruck by the scenery. In particular I really enjoyed the location where the town was. The area looked both beautiful and foreboding/eerie at the same time, and it really managed to stick in my head. I had known since around the time of its release that it was filmed in the Sawtooth Nat'l Recreation Area. Before moving to Boise I was on a roadtrip and drove southward from Stanley through the area looking for it, but no one I talked to really had a clue about where it was filmed precisely.

I had kind of forgotten about it in recent years, but it's on TV again as I type this, and I have renewed interest again given how close I am to the area now. Can anyone give somewhat specific directions to where they shot it in Sawtooth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,877,683 times
Get a hold of this dude:
greenvanholzer

Old 04-12-2009, 12:41 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,016,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Get a hold of this dude:
greenvanholzer
What a cool website! Have fun looking for the locations, Ramenfan. We go Western location hunting on a regular basis, and I didn't know about the Pale Rider location. We'll put it on our list!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:10 AM

261 posts, read 585,601 times
Something you might find of interest in researching the area are these little known links at IMDB:

If you go here: The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) (http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Locations/ - broken link) it will take you to a search engine where you can put in a specific area and see what films were shot there. Also, if you click on the letter "P" under the browse capability, it'll show you "Pale Rider." Clicking on that will take you to this page:

Pale Rider (1985) - Filming locations

You'll see that the movie was filmed in 3 locations including the Sawtooth Recreation Area in Idaho. If you click on that, it'll take you here:

Titles with locations including<br>Sawtooth National Recreation Area, Idaho, USA

That will show you two other movies filmed there as well.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Ramenfan,
If you're going to Ketchum anyway, you may be interested in adding this "location" to your tour:
Steve McQueen's log cabin on 5 acres outside of Ketchum, "Last Chance Ranch"! He dreamed of opening a general store, "McQueen's Grocery," and said in an interview a short time before he died that all he wanted to do was to take his collections (cars, motorcycles, etc.) and go live in Idaho...
I haven't gone there myself yet, so I don't know the exact location, but here's an online pic of (supposedly) the log cabin. https://www.shutterpoint.com/Photos-ViewPhoto.cfm?ac=0&id=561531

(BTW, Elousv, this is the ranch gate I want! )

PS Happy Easter to all of you!

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 04-12-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 18,754 times
I've been looking for this info as well, and I think I'm getting close, thanks to Google maps. It's the location of the town that I want to get to. Just for the hike and to take some photos. I would imagine it must be accessible by some type of road? Just so they could have gotten all that material in and out of there? I mean, the caterer had to get there some how each morning, right??!
Pale Rider set location - Boulder, Idaho, off State Route 75

Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinNH View Post
I've been looking for this info as well, and I think I'm getting close, thanks to Google maps. It's the location of the town that I want to get to. Just for the hike and to take some photos. I would imagine it must be accessible by some type of road? Just so they could have gotten all that material in and out of there? I mean, the caterer had to get there some how each morning, right??!
Pale Rider set location - Boulder, Idaho, off State Route 75
I can only offer general advice, but every single location we've ever hunted has had an access road, for that same reason: There's so much equipment to lug in that there's a limit to how out-of-the-way the location can be. Here's a method that might work: look at the movie stills or do a screen grab if you can, and locate some prominent background landscape feature. Then go to Google Earth, tilt the image and start looking for that landscape feature north of Sun Valley in the SNRA (I've actually used the same method when I was property hunting, so it's all good for something! ), keeping in mind that it has to be close to some road. The little embedded Google Earth cameras on Route 75 might also be of help. Try camera #14100 on 75. Very prominent, easily recognizable rock formations in the Boulder Basin, up the dirt road, NFD 158 Rd. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:22 PM

229 posts, read 371,149 times
A local told me the bulk of the movie was filmed near Easley Hot Springs beneath Silver and Boulder peaks, roughly at the location below:

sun valley,id - Google Maps

From my recollections of the movie, Boulder and Silver peaks are frequently seen in the film. I think the town was set up in this area as well. However I'm pretty sure at least a few of the scenes were shot in the Sawtooth Valley, probably a little bit south of Stanley. I seem to recall Williams and Thompson peaks being visible in some of the range scenes.

Note that there is a ghost town call Boulder City in the basin north of Boulder Peak, however that area was not used in the movie.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:42 PM

156 posts, read 286,702 times
chrisinNH-- I replied to your PM and sent an e-mail to the address you gave. Awaiting your reply.

A big thanks to all that are trying to help out here.

Probably the best visual overview of the area we're looking for is the 7:55-8:43 area on this Youtube clip:
YouTube - Pale Rider [smokey888]-2-1985 (Clint Eastwood)

Starting at 8:05-- is the mountain on the right Boulder Peak? If so, it appears (unfortunately) that there is more than one conceivable possibility. One is to take NFD 158 Rd. off of Highway 75 for roughly a quarter mile until you reach NFD 184 Rd. which takes a route towards the west side of the mountain as seen in the video clip while NFD 158 goes off to the east. The other possible route is Silver Creek Rd., which starts off roughly 3-4 miles to the west of NFD 158 but arches to the east the higher up you go. Up towards the terminus of each road, where the filming location would be more apt to be, the two roads are only about a mile apart from each other. If I have to resort to slowly driving up and down each road, I REALLY hope that the site isn't too far off of the road.

I'm thankful the site isn't on the way to Boulder City since I've read online that NFD 158 gets quite brutal further on up. Does anyone know if NFD 184 and Silver Creek Rd. have any issues? I drive a 4X4 pickup, but it has enough age/mileage on it where anything too extreme would cause some concern.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 PM

996 posts, read 1,934,490 times
That you tube link is one of the best ass whoopins ever filmed

Going to have to take my motorcycle up there looking for that location someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho