Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 PM

103 posts, read 310,724 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved from out of state to idaho recently. We both grew up in the country and living in cda is are first time in the city. I dont like the traffic or some of the people I deal with. We are working with a realtor and have been looking at spirit lake and a little north possible al the way to bonners ferry. she has had nothing to good to say about spirit lake and if we buy a home there that we will never be willing to sell it ?? I dont know why that everyone pushes Cda and sandpoint and it's not a fit for everyone. how about some pro's and con's for spirit lake. schools, churchs etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
I don't know if it's fair to say we're all "PUSHING" CDA and Sandpoint. I'd say that 99% of the people who post asking about towns are providing criteria that directs us to answer in that direction.

Spirit lake is nice. Secluded, quiet. So the pro would be those things, but the con is that you've got to drive to just about anything/everything you need beyond very limited local resources. I don't know much about it beyond being through there a few times, so I'm not much help, sorry. Bonners is pretty far North and a whole different feel from Spirit Lake. Visit both plenty, visit some businesses, restaurants, and churches. You'll probably get the best feedback from the locals.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 PM

134 posts, read 603,516 times
I think Spirit Lake is a beautiful area. It is close to a lot of the smaller lakes like Spirit Lake, Twin Lakes, Kelso Lake, Granite Lake etc...
Part of the Spirit Lake area is in the "snow belt" that gets more snow than other areas. So you need to make sure you have a plan for dealing with snow removal.
They have one elementary school and one Jr/Sr High School which was built recently.
If you are worried about crime or Meth use you can contact the Spirit Lake Police Department at 208-623-2701. There are a few properties in the vay/clagstone that could use some paint a removal of dead cars but on the whole I think it is a nice peaceful area with lots of wildlife.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
I was searching the net for other stuff and came across this and thought you might find it interesting:

Spirit Lake East Home Owners Association

Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 PM

134 posts, read 603,516 times
We owned a lot is Spirit Lake East. It is a nice subdivision where all of the lots are at least 10 acres and there are no manufactured homes allowed. As a con though the gravel roads are maintained by the residents and at some point will probably need to be paved the cost of which will be incurred by the lot owners.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I think Spirt is a nice area, not as overbuilt or overly "trendy" like CDA and Sandpoint are becoming. Generally lower cost homes in the city, with a mix of expensive and not so expensive subdivisions in the surrounding countryside. Do you want a lot in town or something more rural on acerage? The area to the North of town up along Spirit Lake Cutoff road is nice, as are many of the offshoot roads. You can be 5 minutes from town and adjacent to National Forest, that's pretty sweet. Lots of wildlife in the surrounding countryside, as well as some nice views. I have no idea what waterfront lots run along the lake, but I bet they are less than along CDA.

It all depends on what you're after. Spirit is a smaller town, only 1 grocery store, a hardware store or 2, a couple gas stations. Main street is only 2 blocks or so long, you won't have all the attractions of a bigger city. It's also much more of a working class town, with smaller, and less well maintained houses in general than CDA. On the other hand, housing is more affordable, and you might get to know more neighbors, more of a small town feeling. All depends on what you like. The rural areas have some very nice places...right next to some not so nice ones. Think run-down single wides. Definately get eyes on the property before making an offer.

Spirt is also within reasonable commuting distance to CDA/PF and the Spokane Valley, all about 1/2 hour or so. Personal opinion, but I'm betting you'll see property prices going up and more nicer homes going in. Seems to be just rippling out of the CDA/PF corridor, prices have gone up drastically within 10-20 miles of those areas in the last 10 years. I'd guess Spirit would be one of the next to see the effect. One more thought-Spirit Lake is just within the Kootenai County line. Just north is Bonner County, if you build I think you'll find building permits much less of an issue and much less expensive in Bonner.

I'm not sure why your realtor is so down on the area, you might ask her. It could be that she's looking towards higher priced areas with a corespondingly bigger commission, but that's only one thought.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-20-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 10:17 AM

I have always lived in smaller rural areas, which is why that area appeals to my wife and i. The traffic in cda drives me nuts so that why i want out. we put a offer in on a home and are now waiting to here back. I enjoy the snow so the snowbelt part bother me. if i learned anything this year is that they do a good job of keeping the roads clean compared to some of the areas i have lived in now the way some people drive thats another story. Thanks for the replys

Old 04-25-2009, 09:56 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
Hey not to change the subject, but Im going to need a good diesel mechanic.. Do you work on the older 6.2L GM engines??

Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 PM

actually yes i do, my wife and i hope to be able to go into buisness for us full time in the next couple of years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho