Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:49 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,497,760 times

Advertisements

Will my dogs be next?

There is a family in Shelley that is facing having their dog put down because he got off leash and ran towards someone. The dog has never bitten anyone.

Family needs help to save dog | KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho | News (http://www.kidk.com/news/43601497.html - broken link)

This is very concerning to me. I have a neighbor who lets their dog roam around harmlessly. I do not have a fence. I walk my dalmation mix on a leash, on my own property, but she goes crazy when she sees this dog loose, so (I imagine) she appears to observers to be the problem, compared to the loose but unthreatening dog.

We just adopted a very large doberman pinscher, totally friendly but about as fearsome looking as it gets, and with an established high prey drive. I now spend time worrying that my dogs are at risk because of other peoples fears, and not even whether or not they misbehave. My dalmation did get loose yesterday while I was trying to get her into the house because of the roamer. She went chasing after the roamer, nothing came of it, she came when I called, but that was just the luck of the draw. If it had scared someone, and they had reported it, my beloved companion could be put down, and that seems downright wrong.

Here is a question, if an intruder were to run into my two pals in my home, and was to suffer injury as a result, could I be liable for their injuries?

There is also a neighborhood cat that actually approaches my dal on my property. When this happens I bring her inside, as the cat just keeps coming. Our doberman has a history with cats. If I have a fenced area on my property, and the cat is stupid enough to enter the fenced area, will my dogs be put down for attacking it, or will I be liable for its loss?

Last edited by norcalmom101; 04-26-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 06:25 PM

6,023 posts, read 13,991,638 times
Let the cat visit and let your dog chase it. I doubt that your dog will catch the cat and it would be not only be fun for the dog but good exercise for both the cat and the dog. Liability issues ? I don't know, you may be swimming in untested waters. Just put up a sign on your fence that says "No cats allowed"

Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Let the cat visit and let your dog chase it. I doubt that your dog will catch the cat and it would be not only be fun for the dog but good exercise for both the cat and the dog. Liability issues ? I don't know, you may be swimming in untested waters. Just put up a sign on your fence that says "No cats allowed"
I like the cat sign idea! I've seen my dalmation get cornered by a cat and taught a lesson, but the newest member of our family has proven himself a competent cat eradicator, for better or worse. And he's as big as I am. Too bad about the off leash hysteria, he's trained to stay off leash in public areas.

I'm in love! Thank you cleosmom for helping this heaven made match!

If you look carefully you can see how competant I've become at making windows out of plastic and duct tape, but I didn't skimp on the dog!
Attached Thumbnails
Dog Laws, very concerning situation-csc_3480.jpg   Dog Laws, very concerning situation-csc_3481.jpg  

Last edited by norcalmom101; 04-26-2009 at 07:22 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM

993 posts, read 3,240,589 times
Oh that big old dog would scare the Gasman

Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Oh that big old dog would scare the Gasman
Looks are deceiving, he is much nicer than I am !

Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 PM

6,023 posts, read 13,991,638 times
I was attacked by a dobie in front of our house when I was five years old. My wife and I were both attacked and had our faces bit by two different dogs before. I still love dogs. I blame the owners.
Here is a pic of my buddy "Meathead" He belongs to a friend of mine and has very little training. He is a great guard dog. I'm glad he likes me ! I think that Dobermans were bred down from Rottweilers.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 PM

445 posts, read 1,323,263 times
Forget the Gasman....he'd scare the gas outta me!

What, he's much nicer than you, norcalmom101? I'm tryin' to get my head around that claim....

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Aww, you are sweet pimit2. Just like our new dobie! He's very gentle (unless you are a cat) and he seems to have some conflict resolution skills, at least he's been able to defer to my dalmation without taking it where she'd gladly bring it. Our gasman is a dog man too, but Apollo is pretty scary looking, with a thunderous bark. I'm going to sleep tight tonight, knowing no cats are gonna get me.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I was attacked by a dobie in front of our house when I was five years old. My wife and I were both attacked and had our faces bit by two different dogs before. I still love dogs. I blame the owners.
Here is a pic of my buddy "Meathead" He belongs to a friend of mine and has very little training. He is a great guard dog. I'm glad he likes me ! I think that Dobermans were bred down from Rottweilers.
Yep you are right, about the owners and the Rottweilers. This one was raised with little kids and seems pretty difficult to provoke, my understanding however is that if the other dog really wants to go at it he will come out on top, which is nice but still puts him at risk, although he might get blamed anyway just for being a doberman. I feel like I'm walking around my yard with a small horse. Maybe I could harness a push mower or a tiller to him....hmmm...

Rottweiler, Weimeraner, Greyhound, Great Dane, some others, and my very favorite of all, the Beauceron.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 PM

Anyone have any ideas to help the family in Shelley save their dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho