U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2009, 06:28 AM

5,263 posts, read 5,094,815 times
Lightbulb Reno, NV and Other Places - High Outbreaks of H1N1

You may want to check other states websites if you plan to travel soon. All states health dept. links can be accessed through the CDC at: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Reno, NV (Washoe County) had something like 50 more cases announced yesterday. Whether they were just awaiting formal confirmation from the CDC or not, I don't know. However, I've read they are letting school out so I'm guessing it's the absentee rate along with what the local medical community has reported as "probable" cases.

Please, be careful. It's not just Mexico, TX, AZ, Southern CA, IL, WI and NY that are the worst places to travel right now given the increasing infection rates of H1N1.

If you do have to travel to those areas, you may want to consider talking to your healthcare provider first about taking an anti-viral medication if you are "at risk," and asking what other medicines, supplements, vitamins etc. you can taken.

CDC keeps mentioning this, so I'm concerned some parents don't realize kids can get Reyes Syndrome from Aspirin. Ask your child's doctor what pain relievers to use, but please don't use anything on a child that you might on a adult. There can be different outcomes.

I hope those who have to travel are safe and prepared. I'd encourage you to check where you going to make sure those you are suppose to meet with etc. will be able to meet with you.

You know the rules, stay home if your sick. Please remind anyone you may be meeting with away from home, of the same CDC guideline.

Take care of yourselves, your families, other employees and your friends.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 AM

Question Utah Now Reporting More than 200 Confirmed Cases of H1N1. Will ID cases increase?

This will be interesting to see if the greater spread of UT cases continues that trend into Idaho. Now 247 Utahns have tested positive.

Utah H1N1 flu cases continue to rise - Salt Lake Tribune

I hope the H1N1 virus does not travel up the I-15 Corrider to Idaho, but I am concerned it may.

Stay well.

MSR

Old 06-01-2009, 07:18 AM

Lightbulb Confirmed Pediatric Cases in Pocatello and Idaho Falls, More Cases in Lewiston and Esewhere in ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
This will be interesting to see if the greater spread of UT cases continues that trend into Idaho. Now 247 Utahns have tested positive.

I hope the H1N1 virus does not travel up the I-15 Corrider to Idaho, but I am concerned it may.

Stay well.

MSR
So much for the concern of H1N1 heading north on I-15. With the Pocatello child (between 1-10 years old) and the Idaho Falls High School student also confirmed with H1N1, the virus is in Southeastern Idaho, just like it is in the Treasure Valley, NID, Lewiston and other places.

Let's hope all the cases are mild and patients respond well to their medication. Good luck everyone..don't be an unknowing carrier to your children or others who are highest risk. Wash your hands, don't shake hands, cover sneezes and keep the 6 ft. rule. Better to let some think you may be over-cautious than knowing you were the one who carried the virus to an immunologically compromised patient.

Y'all take care now, Hear that?

MSR

Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 AM

Exclamation Good News: 4 Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine: Their Differing Roles; Excellent Explanation about Immunity

Some good news! The four Pharmaceutical Companies who have been asked by the U.S. Gov't to get a vaccine and other drugs ready for H1N1!

www.pubs.acs.org/cen/news/87/i22/8722notw4.html

Of interest in that article, is NOT the #s reported by the WHO as mainland China is reporting 35 new cases in one day and a "rapid" spread of the flu, as are several other countires.

One paragraph very useful, at least to me in this article has an expert from Purdue explaining how a virus mutates and why a human isn't protected. IMHO, this is a very good explanation:

"But experts are concerned that the H1N1 virus could become more lethal. Unlike with seasonal flu, human immune systems don't have a memory response to the new virus, explains Suresh K. Mittal, interim head of comparative pathobiology at Purdue University's School of Veterinary Medicine. Worse, influenza viruses tend to mutate slowly in swine but evolve more quickly in humans. One fear, Mittal adds, is that the seed virus just distributed by the government may not match the strain circulating in the fall flu season."

Hopefully, that helps some to understand better. With better understanding we usually get better compliance.

Let's hope for more and more positive news about H1N1 and what is being developed by Pharmas.

I found this website, which looks like the BBC and CNN are running together (although I might be wrong about that.) You may find it useful to you and protecting those you care about etc.

www.avoid-swine-flu.org/L/12/?sub=2

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-01-2009 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add URL

Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Exclamation Increasing N1H1 Flu Cases in Surrounding States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

Stay well.

MSR
The numbers don't lie. Last week in Utah there were 247 Utah residents who had tested positive for H1N1.

Per a news release today, that number has increased by almost 50% - to 369. A total of 370 patients would have made it a 50% increase.

Perhaps some of us were early to predict the trend. However, we worried this very thing would happen. School wouldn't be let out, the initial cases would expose others and now institutions like the Missionary Training Center in Provo - much like a military base with restrictions of who can leave and go, is reporting 3 cases.

It personally interests me in UT that of the 369 cases, 13 of those infected were health care workers. This link tells more about how many have been hospitalized, are pregnant women etc.

Utah H1N1 Flu Cases Now at 369 | KUTV - Utah News - 2News

www.health.utah.gov/epi/h1n1flu/UT_update.html

I'm concerned how rapidly this is starting to spread in UT and how many people in ID visit Salt Lake County, where most of the cases are. While I hope they are all very mild, we know UT has already had one death, so something is virulent in this virus.

Sadly, the CDC numbers show another death in IL reported prior to this a.m.'s press release. I'm especially watching, besides regional trends, the patterns for states boarding Idaho. WY can no longer say it has NO H1N1 cases as 2 have been confirmed, MT has 14, WA has 575, OR has 148, NV has 102 cases and CA (which probably isn't fair to count, but traffic from CA drives up to ID daily), has 804 cases. Idaho puzzles me. Different sources report different numbers of cases. Everyone will agree there has been at least 15 cases: www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=10449352&nav=menu439_2 (broken link)

It's impressive to me of the 10 states with the highest number of cases, and mostly the deaths, three of them surround ID. CA with 804 leads the perimeter of states surrounding ID, WA is next at 575 and has 369 cases. All of those states have at least one death to the virus.

Of interest to me also, are the two hold out states: MT and WY. I remember when MT got it's first and second cases about 2-3 weeks ago. Now they are at 14. WY, to me, seemed to boast daily they had no H1N1 (Swine Flu) cases. NV will have more cases by tomorrow, given the rate of outbreak in the Reno area. I suspect NV's reported 102 cases will increase significantly this week when news updates describe 30 - 50 people in a community tested positive for H1N1 in less than 24-36 hrs.

The latests CDC Press Release showing over 10K infections with 17 deaths.

PLEASE be careful and take those extra precautions we've discussed here earlier. Also, make a list of "at- risk" friends/family you have. They are probably not the people to visit much the next month. Again, that includes institutionalized people, those with other co-morbid conditions (other illnesses serious enough that they take medication or other treatments to deal with their daily symptoms), pregnant women, newborns, children and kids under 15 are the highest at risk groups.

You may want to have a family meeting (or office meeting etc.) to review these growing numbers. Again, the hope is all patients get started on the appropriate antiviral and other medications within the framework the meds will work. Teach anyone who doesn't know how to sneeze, cough etc. and especially how important it is to wash your hands often and use good, safe sanitary practices at all times.

Good luck and stay safe.

MSR

Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Angry More Deaths in the U.S.; Changing Patterns in Many U.S. Patient Who Have Died

Sad news for the last few days. It's hard to keep up with the newest U.S. deaths. Currently, 10 of the 50 states have had at least 1 resident die from
H1N1 for a total of at least 26 deaths. Check posts from last week and see how the numbers have increased and in what states.

I think it is interesting to see how different countries portray H1N1 from different countires:

news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-06/04/content_11487441.htm

Deaths:

1. AZ - now has a total of 4 4
2. CA - announced first 2 deaths this week. 2
3. CT - first case = 1
4. IL - a pregnant woman who delivered a
27 week old infant died the next day. 4
5. MI- 1
6. MO- 1
7. NY - - with the additional deaths announced
this week so far: 5*
8. TX - - 5
9. UT - - 1
10. VA - - a resident who lives in a VA institutional
facility (like for mentally ill or DD/MR). 1
11. WA state- - 1

*I get a grand total of 27, not 26. However, this China agency may not have had the information about the NYC 11 year old baby. Ok then in less than an hour his aunt found him totally unresponsive.

The numbers are arbitrary anyway, as NY, TX, AZ, CA and IL in particular are delaying annoucements of deaths. Many occurred last week or at least over last weekend.

Please pay attention to these numbers. THE PATTERNS of ILLNESS are changing.

Please keep the 6 ft. rule, washing your hands frequently, covering your mouth if you sneeze and taking other precautions to keep yourself healthy.

And please, ask your self if you can be a carrier. Many of the deaths that have just been added are in high risk populations: pregnant women, children, institutionalized populations.

Do you have contact with patients who are at greater risk, such as those listed above? While you may have no symptoms or minor ones, don't assume everyone has the same ability to fight infections that you do.

As always, if you have symptoms, contact your personal health care provider and stay home.

Knowledge is power. Please stay informed and stay safe.

CDC H1N1 Flu | CDC H1N1 Flu Update: U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection - - numbers are very outdated even when posted.

Do you think nothing can happen in Idaho? For how many weeks did WY essentially brag that they had NO cases, and now they have 18 in 4 days?!

The CDC is doing the best they can, but as the article points out, every state checked had more cases of H1N1 than the CDC was reporting. Perhaps the state labs have reached a proficiency level now that the states are more confident making the official positive call.

THE CDC HAS RE-CLASSIFIED THIS WEEK THE INCUBATION PERIOD. THIS IS TOO IMPORTANT TO INCLUDE AS PART OF ONE POST. I'LL POST THE NEW DATA SEPARATELY.

Take care of yourselves and those closest to you.

MSR

Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 AM

Exclamation WHO and Increasing Level o Pandemic to Level 6 - the Highest Level

Multiple sources are reporting the WHO is very close to declaring a level 6 pandemic of H1N1. Decisions are made not on how many total people have been infected or world deaths. Rather, WHO levels are raised based on how many different continents the virus is spreading person-to-person.

North America was identified first. The spread of cases in Spain, the UK and other European countries made it the second different land mass with person-to-person infection. Additionally, now we have infections in the Middle East and Far East ( Japen, China etc.).

Raising the world to level 6 does NOT mean everyone is going to die or need hospitalization. Rather it means this strain of virus is very infectious and easily spread between people.

Please be thoughtful and utilize good preventivion of infectious disease spread. Please take care of yourselves and those important to you.

Welcome to AJC! | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/health/content/shared-auto/healthnews/cdc-/627730.html - broken link)

MSR

Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 AM

Angry Our First Patient With a Positive H1N1 Test; Am I a Carrier?

I can't find the article now - and it may well be in the New York Study about H1N1. I thought it was on the CC website (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), but there are too many areas for me to check now.

What has happened in studying cases of those hospitalized or very sick with the H1N1 Virus, is researches have learned the incubation period or period of when a person exposed to the virus can shed virus to others, is much longer than expected. Prevously, the CDC said 1-4 days, then revised it to 1-7 days

This week, the CDC has changed that to read, "From the date of first exposure until the last day of symptoms, the patient should be considered infectious." Somewhere in that article it was mentioned the patients are often sick with "mild versions" of this flu for 1-2 weeks beore making a turn for the worse and being hospitalized. So many people who thought they had more minor problems are now testing positive for H1N1

All the information I post is to hopefully educate others. The reason I can't find the article after looking for a long time, is at 4:00 a.m. on Wed. 06/03/09, our office was notified we have a patient whose blood tested positive for
H1N1. I've had to notify too many people and research so many different aspects of who else could have been exposed, to appropriate cleaning of direct materials touched by an H1N1 patient I've simply forgotten which of the sub-sections the CDC listed that info under.

This teenager does NOT have the major underlying factors identified by the CDC as the populations at risk. He is a healthy young man who should be graduating from high school tonight. But, he won't be there. He is far too ill. To protect his privacy, I won't write more except to say he's been home two weeks sick and no one thought to test him for H1N1, until our subspecialty office requested it, given all that I've learned in researching H1N1 to help others.

As ironies happen in real life, now our office staff, including me, will have to have blood tests to determine if we've had sub-clinical cases of H1N1. Certainly, we should be considered carriers, especially me for reasons I can't share here.

Maybe the good news is I'm more prepared to hear whatever the results are of my lab tests, if indeed they do them. The CDC is estimating only 1:10 - or perhaps even 1:20 of those who have been infected have had blood tests to confirm the people being carriers, if not having had sub-clinical cases themselves

This patient will not show up on the Idaho statistics, given where he lives and where his labs were drawn.

As one who has been exposed as closely as one can be from a patient who has shown a + blood test for H1N1, I am begging you to pay attention to what has been written previously. It does matter and it could be you, who is next to have direct exposure to a patient who tested positive to H1N1.

MSR

Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 PM

Unhappy A Child is the Second H1N1 Victim in Utah

What a difficult headline to write, "Utah Child's Death Tied to H1N1 Virus," this afternoon.

While I'd recommend reporter Heather May cheak national data before using OLD DATA about the number of deaths from H1N1, she seems to have her facts straight here.

A child is the second victim to H1N1 in Utah. Utah has almost 500 cases. If anyone is doing the math, look back to my earlier posts about UT being up 50% this week so far compared to last. Now, that was a conservative estimate. You can do the math.

Utah child's death tied to H1N1 virus - Salt Lake Tribune

I do like the portion of the article that shows SOME people are starting to get it, this virus isn't going away and change is sudden when people are ill. From Heather May's article,

"Most of the 489 cases in Utah continue to be mild, much like seasonal flu, according to the state Health Department. Still, Salt Lake County is warning that while the H1N1 flu seems to have plateaued in much of the rest of the country, it is still on the rise here.

"I don't think we have peaked yet," Vitek said. "The [influenza] type A tests that come back positive are going up, up, up. It's out there in the community and people really have to be aware of that."

Dr. Vitek, as explained by the article is Salt Lake Valley's Health Dept.

I offer my condolences to this child's parents, family, friends and others. It is never easy to lose a child, regardless of the reason.

MSR

Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 AM

Question Finally........Could Some People Realize How Serious This Is?

Canyon County woman has confirmed case of H1N1 | Health & Fitness | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/yourhealth/story/793565.html - broken link)

Maybe some of the Idaho media will start to cover this story as it should be covered. Of course the media is being criticized for "sensationalism." Nothing could be further from the truth.

EDUCATION.

Does it take an Idaho resident dying to get people to pay attention that this is NOT the typical flu?

The numbers at the CDC, as admitted by CDC and several states are off. The CA deaths weren't even reported by Thursday and there had been a third one by then. So the Idaho Statesman saying deaths were about 27 is keeping better track of fatal cases than others.

As for one of the "UNDERLYING MEDICAL CONDITIONS" that many have had: asthma keeps coming up over and over. Unfortunately, I cannot share my privileged info confirming that data, so I will try to search for a public statement that can be used as a reference.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho