Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times

Advertisements

From the Idaho Statesman:

"Idaho sees its first H1N1 death"

Idaho sees its first H1N1 death | Health & Fitness | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/yourhealth/story/917685.html - broken link)

This headline and story make me very sad. I knew the day would come and it isn't like I haven't been around patients who died or have had secondary complications from H1N1, I have. I've made the gallows humor jokes at times when there is so much exposure and some of us have lived in a "bubble," of sorts, because we were experiencing what the rest of the U.S. had not yet.

From the article, just a few points I want to highlight.

"A total of 488 people in Idaho have had lab-confirmed H1N1 infections since April, with 139 of those reported since Sept. 1." If my math is correct 139/488 = 28% of total lab confirmed cases have been this last month. I agree with the article (and experts quoted) that many more cases of H1N1 have happened; however, thus infected were infected at a sub-clinical level, or didn't seek medical care. From that perspective, the numbers really don't matter. It only takes exposure and the wrong set of circumstances for someone's life to totally be changed from having had H1N1.

"Symptoms of H1N1 include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue, with some reports of diarrhea and vomiting." No general article can give absolutes, including in medical journals. However, it does appear that H1N1 doesn't target the G.I. symptoms like some of the various flu viruses do, at least not yet. I'm glad to see this in print finally, as it is one observation I've had since June.

[b][i][color="Red"]Dr. Christine Hahn, Idaho state epidemiologist, said people who are ill and at high risk for flu complications and those with more severe symptoms should call their regular health-care provider.

Please contact your regular doctor or health care provider who knows you (your family) and various risk factors. A pregnant female with little kids is at risk in a different way than a 70 year old man, appears to be, from H1N1. It's impossible to know who has cancer survivors that they live or work with, or who may have asthma that is well controlled that anyone may come in contact with on a daily basis. Only patients, close family members or friends and their providers know ALL the details.

PLEASE, DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE of TOUGHING IT OUT! It's better to call or be seen and find out this is not what you have, than delay treatment. We have learned that lesson from those who lost their lives, when they weren't treated early enough, or at the revised doses/length of time the CDC now recommends for certain populations.

"High risk groups include pregnant women, people in contact with small children, people between 6 months and 24 years old, and those with conditions like asthma, diabetes and lung and heart disease."

My sincere condolences to the family of this Canyon County man. I honestly feel like crying, even though I don't think I know this person. I feel like crying as Idaho somehow had escaped any deaths from H1N1 prior to now, despite every boarding state having had deaths. In many ways I started this thread to educate and help Idahoans prepare, or have better access to other data from around the U.S. so when the time came, people could make the best choices for themselves and their families. I knew there would be deaths in Idaho, but somehow this news still takes me off guard.

This thread isn't about me; however, I believe there needs to be a level of trust where honest emotions, including fears and concerns are shared for those who read this thread. Observations of any who have worked with H1N1 patients or experienced the virus are also beneficial, potentially some of the most important posts here. No one person's thoughts or feelings are more important than those of others. Some may access to different information and opt to share it. Some may share their own feelings. Every post is valuable in its own way as it adds to the collective information available in this thread.

Again, my condolences to the family and friends of Idaho's first victim of H1N1. If any who post in the Idaho Forum knew or provided care for this man, I also extend my empathy and condolences to you.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 AM

Lightbulb "New hope for severe flu patients" -

From KIDK:

"New hope for severe flu patients"

"' But the target group is different, with the H-1-N-1 affecting kids and young adults. It's also spreading more quickly. ' "

" ' Difference is that people have not been exposed to H-1-N-1 before so we have no immunity.' "

" 'STD UP: " 'Although most cases of the H-1-N-1 virus here in Idaho have been mild so far, there may be hope for patients who do end up in the hospital.' "

" 'We're doing cutting edge research here in Idaho Falls.' "

"The research is for a new medication called Peramivir. It's being funded by the federal government and has been tested for about three years. Now Idaho Falls is one of the few cities where it will be available to patients for research."

The source/sources of what is in quotuation marks is note listed in the text (at least not where I could see). If you are in eastern ID, or anywhere, and care about this longer acting drug recruiting enough patients at the Idaho Falls research site, PLEASE call KIDK to request this source or sources of information be added). I just left a message, but more calls may lead to better clarity in the article faster. Or, email the person who posted a story. I find the KIDK website a little difficult to understand, compared to some. But, it is a Fisher Network standard design, so some may understand it better. Right in the middle of the page, a small tab saying, "Inside KIDK," will give you the email address of both the managing editor and/or the reporter for this story. Emails are just as important as phone calls.

My guess is the two Infectious Disease doctors in Idaho Falls at Idaho Falls Infectious Disease are the sources. However, it could be their staff, or hospital infection control officers, or the local health department.

It matters because some potential patients in eastern ID, western WY, southern MT etc. may want to volunteer for a current study, if they are eligible.

I'm clueless of who or what, "STD UP" is. I have a guess, but a guess is just that. If anyone knows, PLEASE post!

New hope for severe flu patients | KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho | Local & Regional (http://www.kidk.com/news/local/62738047.html#IDCThread - broken link)

Thank you KIDK and to the two I.D. doctors doing this very important research in eastern ID.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 09-30-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 AM

Thumbs up "Swine Flu Vaccine Free"

From KIFI:

"Swine Flu Vaccine Free" By Hailey Higgins, Local News 8 Reporter

"BONNEVILLE COUNTY - When the H1N1 flu vaccine arrives, the Eastern Idaho Health District said it's not going to cost you anything to get vaccinated."

Check out the rest of the story here......

Swine Flu Vaccine Free - KIFI - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson WY - Weather News Sports-

I'm glad to see infomation getting out and people chosing what is right for their families regarding vaccinations.

MSR

Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 AM

Exclamation States May Vary Regarding Private Vaccination or Public....... Good Catch, aulidur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulidur View Post
As I understand things from what I have read and see, every state, county, and township is seeking volunteers to administer the vaccinations. For the North Idaho vaccination scheduled tentatively for early October, they are seeing 800 volunteers through the five counties. How does this help, and how does it hinder...?

On the help side, it provides a way for the vaccinations to be provided in a much speedier fashion. If people want it, they will be able to get it without a huge wait, and that will calm many fears and settle many a heart when that time comes around.

On the hinder side, well, if you have a negative reaction to the vaccine, you won't be able to hold your doctor accountable. You can't sue or hold accountable a volunteer who has no first hand knowledge of how things may or may not go with the vaccine.

If you choose to get the vaccine, make sure you get it from your doctor is all I can say.

Lee
Hi Lee,

I was really shocked when I looked at a couple of different states criteria for who would be administering the nasal inhalant and injection vaccination for
H1N1. It has to be licensed professionals, with the clause of the Medical Corps being activated for retired healthcare professional to donate their time. Those administering the vaccines have to have been trained.

However, what absolutely blew my mind, was the differences in what individual states are doing. So I must retract my early statement that H1N1 would only be available via the Health Dept. It may well be the case in Idaho as I can't seem to find the clearly stated message like other states. If someone can find it on this page, please post:

H1N1

I'm not going to post the other states where I say applications to give H1N1 injections.

The point of this post is if you plan to get the series of vaccines for H1N1, please contact either your regular doctor's office and/or your district health department to know where you can go.

At the bottom of the link I posted are links for each of the state's 7 District Health Departments. Each District Health Department will know where vaccination clinics will be held.

Per chance anyone doesn't know this, as I didn't until 2 days ago, H1N1 vaccine hasn't reached the states yet. Today is the first day states can order their first shipment. So dates of H1N1 vaccination clinics may not be posted yet simply because no one knows yet, when the vaccine will be available in each state.

Good pick up, Lee. I'm really glad you posted what your originally did, as readers outside of Idaho MAY have different options of where to get H1N1 vaccines. I was very surprised when I learned certain states might allow some providers/clinics/pharmacies or whatever to give vaccines That being said, no physician I know is wanting to take on the liability for these vaccines, given that X amount of the population will be allergic or have a bad reaction to any vaccine.

As always, one's brain and communication with your personal health care provider is your best source of information. The Regional Health Depts. appear to be reliable sources of information as well.

Take care, be aware of information being released and PREPARE for H1N1.

MSR

Old 10-02-2009, 08:09 AM

Thumbs up This is a KEEPER: Dr. Andy Pavia gives specific details regarding H1N1

The information in the first half of this article has some things to consider. However, the really important information, to me, is what Dr. Andy Pavia is quoted as saying in the second part.

"Andrew T. Pavia, a pediatric infectious diseases professor at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center and Primary Children's Hospital, said researchers had keyed in on a different, highly virulent influenza as a likely cause of a pandemic with a high mortality rate."

"So experts were surprised when the H1N1 virus emerged earlier this year."

"As of Sept. 19, seasonal flu, H1N1 influenza and associated pneumonia have resulted in 10,082 hospitalizations and 936 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pavia said H1N1 is the only influenza virus now circulating."

"About 1,600 of the hospitalizations were for confirmed cases of H1N1, which also was identified in 117 deaths, Pavia said."

I believe Dr. Pavia is referring strictly to U.S. numbers as multiple sources have the total of CONFIRMED infections and deaths, which is different than the numbers he is citing.

"The virus continues to affect a younger population and is higher in people with certain underlying conditions, including asthma, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.".

"Hospitalization rates also have been higher for pregnant women and those who are morbidly obese, have neurocognitive, neuromuscular and seizure disorders, Pavia said. "

" He said rapid tests have proven "very problematic" and emphasized that physicians should not base clinical decisions on negative test results."

"Vaccine stockpiles developed for the H1N1 influenza will be released to states on Monday. One dose appears to be protective for those ages 9 and older and two doses for younger children and infants, Pavia said."

State doctor: Disease outbreaks will throw curves - Salt Lake Tribune

I think this is a tremendously important article to keep, given the wealth of information Dr. Pavia shares. Among his other training, Dr. Pavia is a former CDC physician, who worked in the "Epidemic Intelligence Service."

When Dr. Pavia goes on the record, I listen or read what he has to say. We're exceptionally lucky to have him in the Intermountain Area with his previous experience, IMHO.

Please re-read the at-risk groups both for hospitalizations and for the most severe infections.

Knowledge an implementation of information learned is potentially one of your best resources in knowing how to deal with H1N1 infections and whether or not YOU/FAMILY MEMBERS etc. should be vaccinated.

Stay aware of the new information daily, what trends are happening in your area and what your healthcare provider recommends for you. PLEASE PREPARE!

MSR

Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 AM

Lightbulb "Idaho's First Shipment of H1N1 Vaccine Arrives"

Per KIFI.......

"IDAHO - The Idaho Division of Public Health received their first 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine for the state Tuesday. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) authorized Idaho to order 9,000 doses which were shipped directly to hospitals, community health centers and all Idaho local public health districts. "

" 'Eventually, we hope there will be enough for everyone who wants to be vaccinated,' " said Dr. Christine Hahn M.D., Idaho State Epidemiologist.
" 'Vaccines are the best way to protect yourself and your family, so we encourage people to take advantage of the vaccine as it becomes available.' "

There certainly is conflicting information between states. Or perhaps some states weren't allowed to order vaccine as early as Idaho given the 2,000 student outbreak at WSU, I don't know. Neighboring states were just allowed to ORDER THEIR REQUESTED AMOUNT ON THE SAME DAY IDAHO APPARENTLY RECEIVED THE FIRST SHIPMENT.

I'd encourage all to check with your local health department or personal physician to get the latest information. As I wrote in an earlier post, I don't know any physician who wants to administer this vaccine and take the liability. However, given that pregnant women are so high risk, we may see some OBs/ FPs and Pediatricians offer this vaccine.

Per this article, H1N1 vaccines will be at provider's offices in Idaho. However, I don't know if that means for the second part of the vaccine (the injection) or if the inhalant (nasal) portion is at private physician's offices as well.

Idaho's First Shipment of H1N1 Vaccine Arrives - KIFI - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson WY - Weather News Sports-

MSR

Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 PM

12 posts, read 22,760 times
Default Excellent keeping up on things!

Wow! I've been off of here for a bit and been missing it. I'm really glad to see all the information still coming in in an unbiased fashion.

I'll have to look into what the scare is over pregnant women getting vaccinated. Yes, it is important for pregnant women to stay healthy, no worries there. There just seems to be something funny about the incredible insistence on this though, so I'll poke around and see what I can find.

MSR - If you could, since it seems you are taking the vaccine, please keep us posted on how you feel and all that good stuff, just like you asked other people to do. I imagine that any side effects will not become prevalent until a few weeks after the second dose. Nothing factual with that, and of course, the whole "the vaccine will kill you" thing may in fact just be a scare tactic. Who knows. I've got my opinions, but I'm willing to ride it out and see where the truth comes out. To be honest, I really, really hope I'm wrong about my thoughts on it.

I'll see if I can dig up more information on how the proposed mass vacination here up north is going, or planned to go at least. Now that Idaho has their first order of the goop, things should start moving along.

One thing that tickles my curiosity though.... of the 5 counties that are supposed to take part in the "mass vacination" sometime early this month, Latah county was not one. The U of I is in Moscow, which is only 7 miles from WSU where the first "real" news of swine flu seems to have come from in this region. Both communities intermingle in almost a crazy way.... so, why was Latah county not included? Gonna look into that as well.

Stay healthy everyone!
Lee

Old 10-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Question That's Really Interesting about Latah County, I Am Clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulidur View Post
Wow! I've been off of here for a bit and been missing it. I'm really glad to see all the information still coming in in an unbiased fashion.

I'll have to look into what the scare is over pregnant women getting vaccinated. Yes, it is important for pregnant women to stay healthy, no worries there. There just seems to be something funny about the incredible insistence on this though, so I'll poke around and see what I can find.

MSR - If you could, since it seems you are taking the vaccine, please keep us posted on how you feel and all that good stuff, just like you asked other people to do. I imagine that any side effects will not become prevalent until a few weeks after the second dose. Nothing factual with that, and of course, the whole "the vaccine will kill you" thing may in fact just be a scare tactic. Who knows. I've got my opinions, but I'm willing to ride it out and see where the truth comes out. To be honest, I really, really hope I'm wrong about my thoughts on it.

I'll see if I can dig up more information on how the proposed mass vacination here up north is going, or planned to go at least. Now that Idaho has their first order of the goop, things should start moving along.

One thing that tickles my curiosity though.... of the 5 counties that are supposed to take part in the "mass vacination" sometime early this month, Latah county was not one. The U of I is in Moscow, which is only 7 miles from WSU where the first "real" news of swine flu seems to have come from in this region. Both communities intermingle in almost a crazy way.... so, why was Latah county not included? Gonna look into that as well.

Stay healthy everyone!
Lee
Excellent post Lee. I'm sure it woul help some others to know what is happening in Latah County. I don't have a clue.

GOOD PICK UP ON YOUR PART!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the regional Health Dept. would have information? It may be worth a phone call or email. I don't know how the counties are divided into regional health districts. Any chance Latah is in a different health district?

It's great to have an observer who has experienced H1N1 helping bring data from the north part the state. I wish we could get other info from the Treasure Valley and more information about everywhere in general. I always watch the bordering states too, as I know some from other states read this thread.

Absolutely, positively I will post my experiences of what does or doesn't happen when I get first the nasal vaccine and then the injection. I don't know how far apart, or how close together the two are given. That will be a start of some additional information.

However, first I need to get the regular 2009 flu injection. And I'd like to space them out a bit.

I hope forumers will post questions, which may or may not be able to answered here, except to say to contact your personal physician and/or your health department. I especially hope folks will post their own experiences if they have to have the vaccinations.

Lee, I may have a different experience than others with the vaccinations given my own medical hx. However, if folks can learn anything from my own experiences (even how the nasal vaccine is administered) I'm happy to provide more information so others will at least know the process of how the vaccinations are given.

If anyone knows about Latah County, that is a really good observation by Lee, IMHO. Now I'm interested in Latah County more too. I'll bet they have a general email address as well as phone number. You should be able to access the health department through that link I posted for Idaho probably a page ago. The 7 different health departments are at the very bottom of the page. Please post if anyone finds that any other of the Idaho counties haven't announced plans yet for vaccination.

Meanwhile, everyone please stay safe. Information will let you make informed choices.

Take care, stay aware of the upates about H1N1 and concentrated areas in ID, and PREPARE.

MSR

Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 22,760 times
Default no further information

After reviewing information on the Panhandle Health District website (Panhandle Health District 1: Serving Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai, and Shoshone counties of Idaho of Idaho) and the idahopublichealth.com website, I can see no further news concerning the proposed mass vaccinations in North Idaho. The last news posted was on September 17th, which was the call for volunteers.

For North Central Idaho, which has its base in Lewiston, they are claiming that their orders for flu vaccine was drastically cut. This is of course only for seasonal flu. They recommend going straight to your primary health care provider for the shot. There was no mention of any swine flu vaccination.

Also poked around a bit and discovered that Idaho is apparently a high outbreak state. This can be found through a link on idahopublichealth.com.

MSR - Forgot to mention all the great things you said about organizations seeking volunteers for the vaccinations. You made several excellent points that I had failed to consider. Thanks for helping me see a broader perspective on that. I really appreciate it.

I'll keep looking folks. I'll try to get in contact with some of the health officials by phone on Monday and see if I can get some info on wheter or not there will or won't be mass vaccinations up this way, and what the plans are for the swine flu vacine.

happy thots
Lee

Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Default " H1N1: What you need to know " - Good Q and A

A different source to use, but certainly a credible one.

Information from KY and the Cincinnati area of OH. However, the basic information regarding questions about the H1N1 vaccines are the same everywhere.

"How many shots will we need?"

"Research is under way to determine that number. The immune system doesn't always respond well to new flu viruses, so children and adults will likely need two doses of the new vaccine to be protected from infection."

It is still being determined if young children will need one additional injection.

Also, I thought this article was interesting as it said it would take approximately a month "from the first injection," to be effective. We know the first vaccination is not an injection. There is a video that shows the syringe, without a needle, being inserted inside a patient's nose. Potentially, that is how the nasal vaccine will be administered. Maybe that is what the authors meant, I don't know.

I do like the questions asked and the seemingly straightforward answer.

I hope this helps someone.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho