Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 05:21 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
My issue isn't with my office co-workers so much as with our employees. The worst is on payday, where they all come in to get their checks - and sign for them. Then there are the applicants, who hope to make a good impression and want to shake hands. All the employees are trained in infection control, but when they are coming in from clients homes -> their cars -> to my desk that is little comfort. The alcohol wipes are a great idea. The funny thing is, my coworkers think I'm paranoid, but then they are always getting sick and I'm not!
NCM,

You are in an usual setting as you do get to be "end handshake," from many who are working in higher risk settings not only for H1N1, but others diseases too.

Take the info in I posted about China and have an office pool of how rapidly the infection spreads before there is mutation. Your co-workers benefit from living with their denial. Do you know why? Is it to keep their current jobs, not fully understanding the risk they pose to others and themselves in getting sicker or something different? Is there a "leader of the pack," that sets the tone for the majority in the office? Do some think they have to tough out any illness or think sniffles, a high temp etc. are not that big of deal, since they've recovered from viral infections previously?

I'd keep the 6 ft. rule if I were you, or start to wear a mask. People can say only one confirmed case in Idaho so far. So what, look at the surrounding states. I have theory why MT and WY have showed cases yet, but will keep that to myself. More importantly, look on an interact state-by-state map at a state like AR that had ZERO cases until Friday. Now they have 5-10, at least.

I wouldn't risk my well-being and that of my kids to my co-workers reluctance or ignorance to deal with this very real situation.

Plus, tell them you heard from a reliable source (me) that H1N1 can give false negatives. Yah, one of those tidbits I was saving for latter when I could post it with a public link. Probably clinicians have to do enough of the tests to have noticed which pts. tested negative, yet continued to get worse and were tested again. And perhaps part was human error as thousands had to learn to use the CDC kits essentially overnight once they were received from Atlanta.

Actually, probably the Seattle-PI, or Seattletimes.com will have more info on the man from WA. He should be a case study for your office. Not exposed to any known factors like the other severe cases or deaths. If it were me, I'd be going through those who had contact with him and perhaps was an asymptomatic carrier. His infection and subsequent illness concern me a lot.

The wipes should protect your pen. Do you have to interview applicants every day, or can you decrease your own risk by limiting interview hours and changing how you do those interviews a bit?

Also, could there be a temporary policy change that checks are mailed and the recipients call when they received them or something like that for a temporary period of time?

Good luck......I'm betting on you! Let us know how it goes.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 AM

Unhappy Idaho's Second Confirmed H1N1 Case - a Pre-Teen

I was sad to hear about the pre-teen in the Boise area being the second confirmed H1N1 case in Idaho. And, a BYU-Idaho student sounds like he could be the third.

Maybe others have used this link previously, but it is new to me. I'm guessing it will start to be updated daily with 7 more probable cases being investigated.

http://www.healthandwelfare.idaho.go...ersion=Staging

Furthermore, I read that MT and ND had their first probable cases.

Fortunately, the U.S. cases mostly seem mild and patients are responding to treatment. What continues to concern me, besides China and H5N1 recombining with H1N1, is the number of patients under 15 years old.

My understanding of the often-quoted 36K deaths in the U.S. each year due to seasonal flu, is many have secondary illnesses or at higher risk. Teens/kids and younger children don't seem to get the flu as much as adults or older teens.

I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I wasn't worried about why kids seem to be the sickest population in the U.S.

If anyone has any ideas or reads any material about kids and N1H1, would you please post it here? (Kids meaning 15 and under).

Stay safe everyone.

MSR

Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 PM

Lightbulb Worth Reading

Probably every media outlet has this same report. It is taken from an early article in Science. from 05/11/2009.

Study supports swine flu's pandemic potential - KIVITV.COM | Boise. News, Breaking News, Weather and Sports- (http://www.kivitv.com/global/story.asp?s=10342334 - broken link)

What I really like about this article, besides stating the CDC and WHO did NOT over-react given the threat, and that the scientific/medical communities are very worried about round 2 of N1H1, is finally the WHO and CDC are putting in print how many cases of N1H1 they believe happened in Mexico.

Instead of the "laboratory confirmed" 1,626 cases always quoted, this article states Mexico had an estimated 32,000 cases by the end of April! One has to wonder so many things about why the infection wasn't reported to say U.S. citizens who were planning on vacations in Mexico.

Does Mexico have the technology and labs to confirm over 30,000 cases? I don't know. However, I know through unofficial statements the CDC started releasing about 2 weeks ago, their first ground teams in Mexico started challenging the outbreak date, the # of people infected and the # of deaths.
I'm glad this preliminary paper was published so all can know more now.

And the daily update from the CDC does reflect the second case in ID as well as the first one in MT.

CDC H1N1 Flu | CDC H1N1 Flu Update: U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection

Hopefully, symptoms will be mild for those in the U.S. I strongly urge anyone who has kids (especially under 15 years old) who display symptoms that the CDC lists as part of H1N1) to have the child seen by a healthcare provider! For some odd reason this virus is being discovered in a lot of kids. Some are hospitalized and really sick. Don't take a chance.....kids matter too much.

Stay Well and Informed

MSR

Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 AM

Question What Do You Think About Our European Neighbors and Their Use of Tamuflu?

This is an interesting article and one few people want to think about, IMHO. Are certain areas of the world using so many anti-viral medications they will no longer be effective?

Please post your thoughts after you read the article. I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Europe uses more drugs against swine flu | KUTV - Utah News - 2News

Due to some potential computer difficulties (and a post-tonsillectomy canine who is demanding my attention), if this doesn't post correctly, check for the title of "Europeuses more drugs against swine flu."

MSR

Old 05-14-2009, 01:48 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Respected scientist says swine flu may be man-made

Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 PM

Question Is This The Australian Theory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
NCM,

Is this the Australian scientist? I had a little trouble with the video.

I saw the publication yesterday about the Australian scientist's theory, but hesitated to post it given Sage's earlier comments. I hope this thread can remain open for those concerned about H1N1 in Idaho as the numbers are starting to increase in ID just like they have for every other state.

This virus is behaving so differently than most, especially in younger kids and now we're learning in pregnant women, one has to question why?

There is a growing body of literature about the views of some that H1N1 could have been developed for treatment purposes (to make Tamiflu in Australia), but something happened. I know at least one scientist in Australia is wondering if some of what they created to produce Tamiflu somehow left their laboratory.

Thanks for posting this, NCM. I think the possibility of this happening is unfortunately a reality in our world in 2009.

MSR

Old 05-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Unhappy Sadly, the U.S. has a 4th H1N1 Fatality in AZ

The link is about the fourth person who died from the H1N1 virus. She was in her 40s.

Swine flu kills Maricopa County woman | State News | eastvalleytribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/139182 - broken link)

I also saw yesterday that the husband of the first U.S. resident to die (the female in TX) has filed suit. Contrary to reports that first were released, he claims his wife was in perfect health. She was 8 months pregnant. I hadn't known previously she was pregnant. Apparently, the baby was saved, but the mom couldn't be.

I believe it was in yesterday's WHO/CDC briefing they urged health care providers caring for pregnant women who had symptoms to use Tamiflu. I honestly can't remember another time WHO/CDC has encouraged the use of a medication in pregnant women, another high risk population. Does anyone else remember a similar recommendation for pregnant women?

Please keep watching your kids especially, but others too and seek medical care, if needed. Stay well.

MSR

Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 AM

Question Is There a Point When Idaho Schools Should End Their School Year Early to Slow the Spread of H1N1?

Does anyone else remember when NYC Mayor Bloomberg, less than a month ago, said, "The Swine Flu has frankly just been a pain in the a$$?" Well, I believe Mayor Bloomberg has learned a little bit since he made that statement, since he is closing 3 public schools to, "slow the transmission (of
H1N1).

This is worth a quick glance. NYC tracked absence at school. Around 17% absence at the 2 middle schools, plus one assistant principle is critically ill.

What is the incubation period? Could it be longer than what we see with traditional flu? I'd like to hear your ideas. Three public schools in NYC, about 4,500 students are at those 3 schools.

New York City Closes Three Schools as Swine Flu Outbreak Flares - Bloomberg.com

At what point does it become wise, if ever, to go ahead and let school out for the end of the year to prevent the spread of H1N1 in Idaho?

Stay well everyone.

MSR

Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
What is the incubation period? Could it be longer than what we see with traditional flu? I'd like to hear your ideas. Three public schools in NYC, about 4,500 students are at those 3 schools.

MSR
MSR,
We've been told down here that the incubation period is 7 days. That seems longer, to me, than ordinary respiratory infections (I usually assume 3 days), but I could be wrong.
Down here all schools have reopened, the local newspaper has discontinued its flu coverage link, and our school has issued its official "last update." Whether that is wise or not, it'll give you a snapshot of how things stand in the general area that was considered the SW H1N1 flu frontline two weeks ago.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 05-15-2009 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Question 5th U.S. Fatality - Infected Child Passed Infection to Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
MSR,
We've been told down here that the incubation period is 7 days. That seems longer, to me, than ordinary respiratory infections (I usually assume 3 days), but I could be wrong.
Down here all schools have reopened, the local newspaper has discontinued its flu coverage link, and our school has issued its official "last update." Whether that is wise or not, it'll give you a snapshot of how things stand in the general area that was considered the SW H1N1 flu frontline two weeks ago.
Thanks for the update, CFF, of how things are where you are.

I worry those who make the decisions are just not "getting it." That's why I quoted what NYC Mayor Bloomberg said about 2 weeks ago with a dismissive attitude and where he is today in understanding infection spread. Mayor Bloomberg now has schools closed and at least one critically ill educator. I believe it was MSNBC who had a lead article today of, "resurgence of H1N1 (or Swine Flu)", as the U.S. is getting close to 5K cases.

I do know what the CDC is saying about the incubation period. I was asking more of one of those scientific questions we all ask each other which essentially is to say, do we believe 7 days is the incubation period, or is it longer? Is that why we're seeing more infections now? Compared to it may be a 3-7 day incubation period, so what are the factors triggering round two of this infection in less than a month?

Hearing about the 5th U.S. death today, and the route of transmission this single father got infected, is difficult for me.

Here's a piece of information to think about: Not every state updates their own states 5 days/week let alone 7. So for states like UT where updates are only listed M-TH, since Gov. Huntsman went to a 4 day state workweek, is the lack of news releases or updated website info giving a mixed signal and confusing both the media and the public? I think in Utah's case the answer is yes.

Just to be clear, there are microbiologists and state epidemologists in UT working 7 days/week right now. But, they aren't updating information after Thursday afternoon until Monday morning. A lot can happen during that time.

Keep us informed how CA is handling things, CFF. I think common sense should prevail and at some point the school year should be over. What do the kids really learn from today to the last day of school? And would the parents love to have their kids in a swimming pool or picnic area etc. where other kids are also celebrating the end of the school year are who have been exposed to this virus?

MSR

P.S. Have the news on - just heard 3 more NYC schools closed. Now 6 schools closed given the "cluster" of infections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho