Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenton View Post
MSR,

Get off your soap box and come back to reality. We all know there is no truth whatsoever in that post.
That was rude. MSR is one of the most informative and helpful posters on the Idaho state forum...and while you were obviously highly offended at someone else's post, you lash out at MSR for posting a very reasonable statement and request for you to clarify your position.

It would behoove you to play nice here on CDF instead of insulting people...try being less abrasive with your next 3 posts...at least...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,498 times
The bad thing about Pocatello is it is full of stuck people. Which surprises me, because this area is the scum of S.E. Idaho.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 11,459 times
Why Pocatello if you don't mind me asking. I live in San Diego County and once lived in Pocatello and have visited occasionally since; and I can only guess that the transition will be a significant change compared to what you are used to here in San Diego. I may guess home sickness is in your future. Good luck if you decide to move there, however from what you have described as to what social amenities you are hoping for in Pocatello, I believe you will find that San Diego has more of what you may be looking for. Perhaps consider Boise also if you are going to go to Idaho. Or at least visit Pocatello before moving and spend a few days there. By then, I believe you will have your answers. However after seeing the dates on these posts, you may have already been to Pocatello and returned to San Diego by now.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 50,917 times
Default From SD to Pokey

I too am from San Diego, which part are you from?
I have lived in many parts of the country and I can honestly tell you that the one thing to do to try and beat the homesickness is to try and hook up with people like you. I, for some reason, always find the people who are from Cali, like me, and people who are open minded, like myself. It was the weather I had the hardest time aclimating to. If you are here already, hope to see you at the Lazy Lizard once in a while, if your just arrived, welcome, if your on your way up, good luck.

Last edited by Dakota60279; 11-10-2008 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 PM

210 posts, read 946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykd4sound View Post
The bad thing about Pocatello is it is full of stuck people. Which surprises me, because this area is the scum of S.E. Idaho.

Many of us in Pocatello are stuck because we want to be. It has a way of growing on you. I find many really cool people here that are here because the love what the area has to offer.

I grew up in Blackfoot, just 25 miles away. I listened to everyone talk about how dirty, ugly, etc. Pocatello is I never would have moved here or stayed here after college. None of it was true or it was significantly exaggerated, and I like it significantly better than any other place in SE Idaho, though there are many great places in the surrounding areas. If you listened to the bashers Pocatello would have been a ghost town several times over by now.

World class access to the outdoors, a surprising amount of culture and a world class performing arts center, decent food and dining, and enough shopping for all the essetials are just some of the things I like.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:24 PM

8 posts, read 21,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
I have a question that's a bit off topic, but...

How do natives pronounce 'Pocatello?'

Pocatell-o or Pocatell-ah??

Pocatello is with an O sound at the end. Pocatell-ah is more commonly heard from people NOT from Pocatello.

Pronounced Poke-uh-tell-o

Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM

73 posts, read 248,701 times
Or, "Poky" for us old-timers. :-)

Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprism View Post
Many of us in Pocatello are stuck because we want to be. It has a way of growing on you. I find many really cool people here that are here because the love what the area has to offer.
While I'm not 100% positive, judging by mykd's tone, I think he/she meant to say "stuck-up" instead of "stuck". Regardless, in either case it's a foolish comment.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
This thread is well over two years old. But, regardless, there isn't a real issue between Pocatello and Idaho Falls. In fact, they essentially operate as an "extended" metro area, sharing media, and frankly, a lot of sensibility. Of course, there are some differences. Pocatello is a college town, skews somewhat younger because of that, and perhaps a tad more liberal. But both cities generally share conservative viewpoints, a strong LDS influence (more-so in IF), and similar weather. Both areas are growing, both are affordable, and both are generally family-friendly areas.

As for San Diego to Pocatello, (not sure that matters two years later), it would be jarring, but not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your expectations and likes.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:50 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Question Really? Poky's average population and income is about the same as Idaho Falls? I think we're reading different sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
This thread is well over two years old. But, regardless, there isn't a real issue between Pocatello and Idaho Falls. In fact, they essentially operate as an "extended" metro area, sharing media, and frankly, a lot of sensibility. Of course, there are some differences. Pocatello is a college town, skews somewhat younger because of that, and perhaps a tad more liberal. But both cities generally share conservative viewpoints, a strong LDS influence (more-so in IF), and similar weather. Both areas are growing, both are affordable, and both are generally family-friendly areas.

As for San Diego to Pocatello, (not sure that matters two years later), it would be jarring, but not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your expectations and likes.
pw72,

Not trying to be a negative descender here, but truly have you seen data that shows "wealth," to be equal in both Poky and Idaho Falls? I ask because everything I see shows the average wealth per person (which includes each child who doesn't work in a household etc.) to be thousands of dollars higher in Idaho Falls. And I believe the same is true for Bonneville County vs. Bannock. I'm certainly able to admit if I'm wrong, I simply haven't seen the data.

Certainly, there are some people of affluence in Pocatello, but the ones I know don't work in the city/county, with the exception of about 2-3. You may have different contacts and know different people. I don't know if Poky has a Frank V. who builds businesses like Melaleuca and employees thousands within the county (at least I don't know who that person is in 1B County).

I wish Twin Prism still posted. Having a Pocatello-based business that either does at least 1/2 time in Idaho Falls, or a "branch office," so to speak in Idaho Falls, he may have a sense of the wealth issue too.

I do agree ISU draws a younger crowd; however, I think those demographics are changing as ISU- Idaho Falls offers more classes (or U. of I. in Idaho Falls) does. Plus, many go to BYU-Idaho who live in Idaho Falls. Ten years ago, I would have said absolutely Poky has a younger crowd. It probably comes out in the stats that Poky is younger (I'll try to look), but I'm betting the difference in the age groups is much less than it use to be. Meaning, more 18-24 year olds are remaining in Idaho Falls and either driving to BYU-Idaho for school, or moving to Rexburg instead of ISU.

I'm not challenging what you see, as I may read a set of data which maybe skewed, for the overall population, but what certain businesses rely on. I'm simply wondering if we're reading the same sources of data, or if there is truly that much diversity (and some unknown - due to INL) or different data sets show different stats based on a business or other demographic factors (such as age or race).

One way to look at demographics is in the school districts. Idaho Falls School District #91, which everyone knows is not Ammon or rural 8B County (#93), has broken records again this year with enrollment higher than it was about 10 years ago. When enrollment got that high before, that is when many started to move to Ammon, thus the growth of Ammon initially.

Where I really begin to wonder about the age thing again is when District #91 has seen the increase at the K-3 grade level in students. Granted, those could be the last children of older adults. However, I'm wondering how many of those 5-6 year olds are the first children of younger couples? Perhaps many would have started school elsewhere but job opportunities, BYU-Idaho etc. has kept a lot of younger families in Idaho Falls.

I honestly don't know what the other factor for this increase in school enrollment would be. Perhaps INL, or spinoffs that attracted workers of certain ages.

Overall, I do agree with you. The two cities work more together than many people acknowledge. The Idaho Falls PD Bomb Squad covers 1B county, certain specialty physicians have offices in both cities, and other businesses seem to start in one city eventually expanding to the other. I think there are a couple of banks (Citizens and Bank of Commerce) that illustrate that concept well. Probably not many know how owns the newer hotels in Pocatello, as that would be a developer from Idaho Falls.

I'll see if I can find some new stats or how old the stats are here on CDF. Maybe time for a new thread about this, or maybe not. At least updated info can be posted here, and thank goodness you pointed out this thread was two years old. I remember when the OP wrote the question - moving from SC to Pocatello for her boyfriend. Hope everything worked out for them.

Good post.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho