U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Ponderay, Idaho
431 posts, read 799,217 times
Reputation: 405

Advertisements

I was just thinking about what I was going to have for dinner tonight, and I remembered how much I love a good hamburger. I know. Hamburgers are not good for us, but I still enjoy a really good one. I admit that I stop by a McDonald’s or other chain once in a while, but I’ve found much, much better burgers in lesser known stops around Idaho.

In Boise, I have three favorites: I like the hamburgers at Good Times, the Westside Drive-In and, the very best, The Dutch Goose. In Nampa, I’m sure to grab what they call a “long and juicy” at Wheeler’s Handout, and in Blackfoot, I crave the double burger at Rupe’s. In Coeur d’Alene, I like the hand-formed burger at Hudson’s and the burgers at the Office Tavern (with an ice-cold beer, of course).

Enough about me and my addiction. If you enjoy an occasional burger, where are your favorites in Idaho? I'll be adding your choices to my list of "must stops" in my travels around the Gem State.


pimit2 (Bob)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens, Idaho
134 posts, read 361,759 times
Reputation: 54
Go to Coeur d'Alene and get a Huddie Burger, just don't asl for fry's...

I also like the Blue Ox burger from Paul Bunyans or a Papa Joe frm Zips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
 
5,493 posts, read 5,398,351 times
Reputation: 4095
Talking Ummm, Please Tell Your Favorites.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
I was just thinking about what I was going to have for dinner tonight, and I remembered how much I love a good hamburger. I know. Hamburgers are not good for us, but I still enjoy a really good one. I admit that I stop by a McDonald’s or other chain once in a while, but I’ve found much, much better burgers in lesser known stops around Idaho.

In Boise, I have three favorites: I like the hamburgers at Good Times, the Westside Drive-In and, the very best, The Dutch Goose. In Nampa, I’m sure to grab what they call a “long and juicy” at Wheeler’s Handout, and in Blackfoot, I crave the double burger at Rupe’s. In Coeur d’Alene, I like the hand-formed burger at Hudson’s and the burgers at the Office Tavern (with an ice-cold beer, of course).

Enough about me and my addiction. If you enjoy an occasional burger, where are your favorites in Idaho? I'll be adding your choices to my list of "must stops" in my travels around the Gem State.


pimit2 (Bob)
Bob,

This is a great idea. Do you want places that are good at any time, or do you want restaurants that are better on certain days if certain personnel are working, if you get my drift? In otherwise, do you want personal tips of what to ask for, what time of day or who may be preparing that burger? Or do you just want the names of establilshments that have made themselves known for good burgers?

Not being sacastic here, I'm truly asking a question based on personal observation and limited experience with McD's. Do you find that all McD's are the same regardless of where you go? I know they should be, but just curious what your experience has been, as well as others, of course.

I guess my underlying question is about management/owner's and how food is cooked and served, and whether you've found it to be somewhat equal regardless of location. One reason I asked this question is I was ready about real estate for sale and read a franchisee for Sonic had 16 restaurants. I was at the asking price for a Sonic restaurant right now, although I know that location is busy, and I try to support OK business for other reasons.

Ultimately, it will be interesting to see if most people think the mom and pop joints are best, if mid-size franchisees are the best, or larger franchisees are the best or who seems to have the most quality control of their product/products - a hamburger.

In 'n Out, a fav in CA is now in UT. Don't know if they will be making it to ID or not. I admit I haven't had one of their burgers, so don't know how they rate compared to others.

Hope this is an active thread as I look forward to reading new info.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 PM
 
Location: ABQ
634 posts, read 1,507,019 times
Reputation: 176
Hmm, I'm pretty picky when it comes to this sort of thing, though if I'm in a fit, I'll do McD's just like most anyone else:

- For chains, my wife likes both Sonic and Arctic Circle, though I'm a fan of neither, at least for burgers (personally I think they just like her more...)
- For sit-down places in IF, Red Robin was okay, but really pricey, IMO. Firehouse Grill was so-so. I've heard good things about Okie's Burgers (pretty much across 17th St. from Red Robin) but haven't had the chance to dine there yet.
- For ma-n-pa places in IF (and granted, we've only been here 9 months), I'd go with North Hi-Way Cafe (but DO NOT get the turkey burger) & this little bar called the Blue Wave, just east of Tautphas Park, on Rollandet. If you can get over the smoky-bar atmosphere, the burgers are huge, reasonably priced, and taste great. Try the Big Kahuna (grilled onion, pineapple slice)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 PM
 
Location: ABQ
634 posts, read 1,507,019 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
In 'n Out, a fav in CA is now in UT. Don't know if they will be making it to ID or not. I admit I haven't had one of their burgers, so don't know how they rate compared to others.
OH....MY...GOD! If they have an In 'n Out within 300 miles of IF, I may have to check it out. Loved them when I lived in CA for a short while.

Unfortunately, according to their website, the closest one to SE Idaho is Reno/Sparks, NV or Washington City, UT (pretty much all the way to AZ). All the more reason to drive instead of fly to see the in-laws in AZ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM
 
3,973 posts, read 7,243,817 times
Reputation: 1576
Yes, In 'n out is tops. Southern Utah, though, you are correct. (Maybe that next road trip to Vegas, if so inclined!)

Check "Scotty's" on Northgate mile in IF. Not perfection, but close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Ponderay, Idaho
431 posts, read 799,217 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Bob,

This is a great idea. Do you want places that are good at any time, or do you want restaurants that are better on certain days if certain personnel are working, if you get my drift? In otherwise, do you want personal tips of what to ask for, what time of day or who may be preparing that burger? Or do you just want the names of establilshments that have made themselves known for good burgers?

Not being sacastic here, I'm truly asking a question based on personal observation and limited experience with McD's. Do you find that all McD's are the same regardless of where you go? I know they should be, but just curious what your experience has been, as well as others, of course.

I guess my underlying question is about management/owner's and how food is cooked and served, and whether you've found it to be somewhat equal regardless of location. One reason I asked this question is I was ready about real estate for sale and read a franchisee for Sonic had 16 restaurants. I was at the asking price for a Sonic restaurant right now, although I know that location is busy, and I try to support OK business for other reasons.

Ultimately, it will be interesting to see if most people think the mom and pop joints are best, if mid-size franchisees are the best, or larger franchisees are the best or who seems to have the most quality control of their product/products - a hamburger.

In 'n Out, a fav in CA is now in UT. Don't know if they will be making it to ID or not. I admit I haven't had one of their burgers, so don't know how they rate compared to others.

Hope this is an active thread as I look forward to reading new info.

MSR
Thanks for your response, MSR. I only stop at one of the larger fast-food franchises in a pinch. Are they consistant? Yeah, consistantly mediocre. I like the one-of-a-kind, mom and pop operations who work hard to put out a good burger. The meat should be fresh (never frozen), the patty hand-formed, the lettuce and tomato toppings cold and fresh, and the bun should not be from last week.

I don't travel the state as much as I used to, so I'm not wise to what cook or other burger stop personnel are good or bad. One exception to that. My doctor is in Coeur d'Alene, so when I'm down that way I often stop at the Office Tavern for a burger lunch. The barmaid there is cute and personable!

I've had the In 'N Out burger, a California-based, family-owned operation with shops in California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah. They're okay. In fact, there's a big push on right now to locate one of their stores in Boise, their first one in Idaho. They are not my favorite California chain, however. I like California's FatBurger, an unlikely and unappealing name for a pretty fair burger joint.

I was just curious if some of our Idaho posters had a favorite, out-of-the-way, mom and pop, one-of-a-kind burger purveyor. When I do travel around, I like to have an idea of where to get my necessary hamburger "fix".


pimit2 (Bob)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Midvale, Idaho
691 posts, read 1,366,277 times
Reputation: 371
Well just over the border in Ontario Oregon is Brewskies. Burgers to die for. Yum Yum.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 PM
 
16,479 posts, read 11,760,980 times
Reputation: 15777
In Sandpoint I like Serve-a-burger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM
 
2,779 posts, read 4,968,297 times
Reputation: 680
In Shelley Lazy D's has the awesomest burgest around - worth the drive from IF. I, however, am reading up on making Dandelion Fritters. Dandelions, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top