Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times

Advertisements

Even though we've had a lot of information going on about the virus formerly known as "swine flu" (Thanks MSR ) don't forget we also need to be mindful of West Nile, with all the rain we're getting I'm thinking it could only encourage the mosquitoes this summer.

Just read that in 2006 Idaho led the nation in reports of human illness associated with WNV with 996 cases being reported to the state health department.

Here's thelink for those who want to look at the report http://www.healthandwelfare.idaho.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=TOcd9v%2bGsZE%3d&tabid=1 12&mid=3357 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 01:32 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Question Good Article About West Nile Virus

Agree with cleosmom. Here is an article on positive cases of West Nile Virus already found in UT. Deseret News | West Nile virus detected in Utah.

I read, somewhere, this past week a great piece on differences between WNV and A/H1N1, if anyone is confused. I will post it if I can find it. It is not confusion as much as fatigue. The two are quite different viruses.

An eastern ID media clip: Rainfall Creating Ideal Breeding Ground for Mosquitoes - KIFI - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson WY - Weather News Sports-

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-14-2009 at 01:59 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 03:50 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,748 times
Skeeter populations are, of course, associated with standing water, the little buggers breeding grounds.

While we have had a series of rainfalls in Sandpoint this spring, we have also had lots of warm, sunshine days sprinkled in with the sprinkles. Mosquitoes? Very few, likely because the warm weather has dried up standing water. Yesterday, I visited a friend at Elmira (halfway between Sandpoint and Bonner's Ferry) and the mosquitoes were out in full force! My friend's cabin is close by a shallow pond, the perfect breeding situation.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,748 times
Get out the repellant....the first case of West Nile Virus has been reported in Bonneville County, according to the Associated Press:

Quote:
Associated Press - June 30, 2009 6:14 PM ET

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) - State health officials say a Bonneville County man has been diagnosed with the state's first case of West Nile virus this season.

The man, in his 70s, has been hospitalized, according to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare. His condition was not released.

West Nile virus, which is usually spread through the bite of an infected mosquito, can cause serious illness in all age groups, but especially in people over the age of 50. Last year, 36 Idahoans became ill with the virus and the infection contributed to one death.

The Canyon County Mosquito Abatement District also has reported finding their first batch of mosquitoes that tested positive for West Nile virus.
With all the rain we've had statewide, the mosquito problem may end up being bad. Protect yourself with a quality repellant to be safe.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 07-01-2009, 08:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Lightbulb WNV Can Be Very Serious - Don't Blow This Off, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Get out the repellant....the first case of West Nile Virus has been reported in Bonneville County, according to the Associated Press:

With all the rain we've had statewide, the mosquito problem may end up being bad. Protect yourself with a quality repellant to be safe.

pimit2 (Bob)
Pimit2,

Great post. Lots of people don't think about the stagnant water. UT has had WNV cases moving up the state line closer and closer to ID each week. I'm not surprised. Idaho Falls has superb Infectious Disease doctors, IMHO, so no surprise it was diagnosed there. I wish the patient well.

For those visiting the area, or for those who are residents, Please take precautions to protect yourself against West Nile Virus!

MSR

P.S. Bob, it was good to see your post. I asked Sage a few days ago if you were taking a break from us/this thread as I hadn't read any of your posts. Nice to see another. Have a great 4th of July!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:00 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
I was on pins and needles last week when at my niece's wedding since she got married down at the Rose River Reception. Being right on the river is a good breeding ground, didn't see much in the way of stagnant water. The river, along with the pelicans, was moving swiftly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho