Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:03 PM

76 posts, read 319,766 times

Advertisements

I was talking about this town to someone recently and they told me a while back that the town was unfortunately having some notoriety for several NeoNazi groups in the area. Is this true? Does racism seem to be a big problem in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
The 'headquarters' for the skin heads USED to be in Hayden Lake but they went bankrupt and had to sell everything (to a human rights group..funny long story) and are now gone. I see more skin heads/racists in the Bay Area when we go down there than you will ever see in North Idaho.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
To append to that...

I think because of having to deal with those clowns, folks in this area have a heightened sensitivity to that stereotype. At the same time, there is little racial diversity here, and it's very culturally homogenous, while being racially tolerant and pretty accepting (WAY MORE than SoCal where I was a cop and saw more racism DAILY than you'd believe).

Up here, folks are just folks. And if they act like good neighbors, they're treated well.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:59 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMD View Post
I was talking about this town to someone recently and they told me a while back that the town was unfortunately having some notoriety for several NeoNazi groups in the area. Is this true? Does racism seem to be a big problem in the area?
You will find them in Fallbrook, California, where the Head of the Aryan Nations have lived for decades. This is a very racist town.............. even though it has lots of Latinos, but myriad Whites.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
That's an old stereotype. I have seen a few scary looking fellows in CDA, but scary looking fellows can be found most anywhere.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:55 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
You will find them in Fallbrook, California, where the Head of the Aryan Nations have lived for decades. This is a very racist town.............. even though it has lots of Latinos, but myriad Whites.
Absolutely.

The most racial tension and unrest I have ever seen was in some cities and unincorporated areas in South Los Angeles County, It was about 1/3 black, 1/3 latino, 1/3 korean back in my day, and like a dang powder keg waiting to blow every weekend.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:12 AM

146 posts, read 387,591 times
if by problem, you mean a dozen or so punk ass skinny white boys making stupid noise about once a year....okay...

Old 07-04-2009, 09:49 AM

76 posts, read 319,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voivod View Post
if by problem, you mean a dozen or so punk ass skinny white boys making stupid noise about once a year....okay...
That's kind of what I figured. EVERY town in America has these types. I have heard about northern Idaho at least twice now in regards to this element, so when you hear it from somewhere else, you star to take notice a bit more. I am still very interested in checking out the area, as well as some other points west (Oregon as well). I am a primary care doctor looking to relocate out west probably next year, and just trying to find an area that I like, where I'm needed and will feel comfortable with the other folks around me.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:07 PM

146 posts, read 387,591 times
north idaho made the news because MORRIS DEES AND THE SPLC gets govt money for neo-nazi hunting, and the hunting was easy about a decade ago in north idaho. north idaho is the most beautiful place on earth. i worked side by side with blacks fighting a fire in athol about 2 years ago. there is virtually NO open rascism there.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voivod View Post

Even the once a year parade stopped 5-6 years ago after the Aryan Nations were bankrupted and moved. I went down to CDA during one of their parades just to see what kind of kooks were there, and to see what really was going on vs what the news reported. There were more protesters, with fouler mouths, than there were ANers. I spent some time chatting with the cops about which groups were worse, the paraders or the protesters, sounds like it's about equal. The AN idiots wanted their 5 minutes of attention, the JDL, SPLC and others want to provoke a confrontation. Glad their out of here now.

Even during those days, that was a tiny group of people in a good sized area. They aren't representative of the community. Like voivod says, other than those nuts I have seen no open rascism here. On the other hand, as a middle aged white dude, I probably wouldn't encounter it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho