Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 12:43 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIDPatriot View Post
Hi BanjoMike, I'll take your welcome too. I love living in NID too. What happened to these other guys? They had some great posts.
I don't know. You would have to ask Sage. Folks come and go here regularly.
Welcome, NID!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 01:53 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Welcome to Case42so, Sagle Bob and NIDPatriot from me, too!

Still hoping to hear from Sage....

Old 03-22-2016, 06:55 PM

291 posts, read 438,040 times
Has anyone put out yellow jacket traps yet?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:55 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
No need! my entire back porch is one giant yellowjacket trap.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:50 AM

We hardly saw one yellowjacket last summer while in NID. Any reason to believe it's going to be a big yellowjacket year? Mild winter? But so was 2015.

We have electric bug zappers strategically placed around the cabin and porch. You know, the "tennis racket" kind? They're a formidable weapon! Just don't touch the net to see if they're working!

Old 03-25-2016, 10:03 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We hardly saw one yellowjacket last summer while in NID. Any reason to believe it's going to be a big yellowjacket year? Mild winter? But so was 2015.

We have electric bug zappers strategically placed around the cabin and porch. You know, the "tennis racket" kind? They're a formidable weapon! Just don't touch the net to see if they're working!
That's interesting, CFF. I never thought the zappers were very effective. Do you bait yours with sweet water or something to attract the wasps? I think that would increase their effectiveness.

I have a wasp problem that is going to grow serious; I have a pergola on my deck that has a frame made of hollow metal. I noticed last year that wasps were going in and out of the frame from spots where it's bolted together.
I plan on caulking all those connections, but wasps are hell for persistent once they have built a nest, and I'm sure I now have a hive going in at least one of the main supports!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:28 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Spray the nest with WD40. Not only will the wasps be too busy gasping and choking to come after you, they won't rebuild in that spot. In fact, spray WD40 anywhere you don't want colonized. (Also works as a barrier against ants.)

That said, I only do away with the persistently annoying ones (like, the overhead paperwasp nests that drip clumsy live wasps down my neck) because they're important predators against all sorts of even more annoying pests. I suspect why I have no garden pests, and few flies or mosquitoes, is because I have zillions of wasps.

In the Antelope Valley there's a small brown wasp that's harmless and nonaggressive, and doesn't build nests, but they are everywhere, and they crawl into every crack and crevice and come indoors in droves. Not much of a sting but enough that you don't want to sit down on a pocketful of them (and you will, if you're not careful!) I had to keep a bugzapper in my living room just to keep them more or less congregated in one spot (they're attracted to light, especially UV) and every morning I pitched out several hundred dead wasps. My first zapper got 'em on the first touch, but after it died the replacement zapper (higher power but wires further apart) often didn't, and then I'd see a flaming wasp flung across the room... wound up sitting the zapper inside a metal pan to keep 'em contained!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:48 AM

Happy Easter, Porchers and Lurkers! I see it's raining in Sandpoint. Not so good for egg hunts or dawn services but great for staying indoors and watching an old movie on TV! I'm hoping for Ben Hur or The Robe, or some other costume extravaganza fantasy of a biblical Easter or Passover story. Just as important for us on Easter morning as the Rose Parade on New Year's Day! Fresh baked bread, boiled eggs, and Chuck Heston!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:56 AM

356 posts, read 520,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Happy Easter, Porchers and Lurkers! I see it's raining in Sandpoint. Not so good for egg hunts or dawn services but great for staying indoors and watching an old movie on TV! I'm hoping for Ben Hur or The Robe, or some other costume extravaganza fantasy of a biblical Easter or Passover story. Just as important for us on Easter morning as the Rose Parade on New Year's Day! Fresh baked bread, boiled eggs, and Chuck Heston!

Happy Easter, Clark!

It's snowing out here in Samuels.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's interesting, CFF. I never thought the zappers were very effective. Do you bait yours with sweet water or something to attract the wasps? I think that would increase their effectiveness.
I was referring to those yellow zapper rackets you swat the bugs with. No bait, just fresh batteries! We get ours at Harbor Freight in CdA. They work great on slower-flying bugs like yellowjackets and those black hornets with the white heads. Can't use them for house flies, the flies read your mind and stay away...but they work fine on black flies.

Good luck with your wasp problem. Get the queens in April before they start nesting...but you know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho