Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:06 PM

114 posts, read 399,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIorDIE View Post
I feel the same way about Provo that you do about ISU. Utah's great but I find the Provo culture suffocating and boring. So you can imagine when I went to visit my cousin at ISU how "thrilling" Poky was, don't get me wrong, I love Idaho but I don't blame you for being bored there, my cousin is glad he's done with that place. There's definitely more things to do in Provo but it still sucks which Is why I'm moving to Tempe AZ near ASU for a real college experience. You're not negative, you're normal. People have told me I'm negative for feeling that way about Provo, but it really sucks here, there's no real parties, the people are shallow and extremely trendy, all the cute girls are way way way into themselves, just cause i don't pop my collar, drive and Audi and go door to door doing summer sales doesn't mean I'm negative, take my advice, move ASAP, you're only young once.
BYU?Isn't it great?
Are you LDS member?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 38,526 times
My husband and I are seriously considering relocating so he can finish up his undergrad and ISU seems perfect (at least from the outside), small town, lower cost of living, near mountains, snow, and many outdoor activities. We are in our early 30's and hoping to start a family, we aren't looking for a 'party school' as we've already lived in Chico, CA while I was going to school in the mid 90's. I guess I just wanted to make sure Pocatello actually fits what we are looking for.

We know in some ways we aren't going to fit in, as we are from CA are fairly liberal and not religious - but I grew up in a really small mountain town (yes they have those in CA) and my husband is really ready to get out of Suburbia (we currently live in a Suburb of Sacramento). Any suggestions on where to live in Pocatello or areas to avoid?

Nettle's comment sure made it seem like it fits for we are looking for. To answer MTB83201 - Chico State seemed the same way when it came to the students - the employees 'did their job' albeit not well. And the town pretty much didn't like the students, I married a local guy and we had two totally different experiences living in the same town during the time and we are same age. I guess that's just small college towns. -- thx! Niki

Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 AM

20 posts, read 151,162 times
Drlngnik: I think that ISU is a great place for non-traditional students. Given my experience with the relatively small class sizes, your husband might appreciate not being just a number. I spent most of my time in the biology department, and everyone seemed to know each other, which made it a great experience. ISU seems to recognize and appreciate its non-traditional students more than other universities I've been at.

As for places to live in Pocatello, nothing jumps out at me in terms of where NOT to live. Around the university is nice, but I also lived near downtown, and out in Chubbuck, and those were fine too. It's easy to get around, and once you're on campus, there's a bus to shuttle students from one end of campus to the other.

Also, you commented that you're fairly liberal and not religious. I fall into the same category and met lots of other likeminded people in Pocatello. There is a lot of art and poetry going on in Pocatello too, such as the Rocky Mountain Poetry Festival every year. It may not be brimming with liberalism, but you can find it if you look for it!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM

41 posts, read 155,602 times
I loved ISU. never got any run around from any department, things were done in a timely fashion, campus is nicely laid out. granted the tuition hikes got old, but it was a steal compared to other schools. now I have to deal with UALR here in little rock. I want to bash my head into a wall every time I go there, ineffective people, poorly laid out campus, little in the way of class choices, and my old major doesn't exist here. Very poor poli sci department too. but anyhow sorry you are having a bad time, if I were still there maybe I could lend a hand. best luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho