Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:51 PM

7,354 posts, read 12,592,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchambliss View Post
Such a great thread to read ......I lived in the little hose next to the tracks ewith the old brick school behind me in the late 1950"s. This was before the hatchery was built..Seen children in a tiny cabin...During the summer months we children would stop people who wanted to go fishing and charge them 25 cents !!! Later I found out most the fisherman new this was not a toll road but gave us our 25 cents knowing we were so poor...Later we moved up on the hill....and after that a hatchery was built...still go there once in a great moon...living so close to the tracks was thing not to forget...By the way..the little house was called a teacherage...a house for the teacher....sad to hear the old school collasped..At one time it was so full of oak desks and such...
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your childhood memories with us. Growing up in Cabinet/CF in the '50s must have been an adventure--but I'm sure it also involved hardship. We visit the hatchery often in the summer when we're at our cabin, and we've seen the rings in the rocks where the ferry landing was, and the anchoring of the old hanging bridge across the river.

Maybe you'll recognize this motif; it's the old Cabinet road along the tracks looking east. It's a small picture I painted a few years ago while the lilacs were in bloom.
Attached Thumbnails
The Lost Town of Cabinet?-old-cabinet.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:19 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,915,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your childhood memories with us. Growing up in Cabinet/CF in the '50s must have been an adventure--but I'm sure it also involved hardship. We visit the hatchery often in the summer when we're at our cabin, and we've seen the rings in the rocks where the ferry landing was, and the anchoring of the old hanging bridge across the river.

Maybe you'll recognize this motif; it's the old Cabinet road along the tracks looking east. It's a small picture I painted a few years ago while the lilacs were in bloom.
Clark Fork Fantast Your painting is lovely. I have really enjoyed reading through this thread. So happy to see new comments here and mysteries starting to be solved. How fun.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,091 times
There has not been much talk on this website regarding the town of Cabinet. I can tell you that a small group of local residents have reinstated the Cabinet Cemetery Association and we are now in the process of preserving the cemetery in this town. A lot of physical work has gone into clearing the area, locating grave sites and making plans to create a kiosk to have a history segment and back ground of those buried in the cemetery. Many of these folks were part of the heritage of Cabinet and Clark Fork, ID. We have been accepting donations to pay for the fuel and materials to clear the land and towards building this kiosk (gazebo). If you are interested in donating there is a gofundme account.

We are listed as Cabinet Idaho Cemetery Association. We also have a Facebook Page under the same name.

If you have any knowledge of the people buried in this cemetery I would appreciate talking with your further.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigermags View Post
There has not been much talk on this website regarding the town of Cabinet. I can tell you that a small group of local residents have reinstated the Cabinet Cemetery Association and we are now in the process of preserving the cemetery in this town. A lot of physical work has gone into clearing the area, locating grave sites and making plans to create a kiosk to have a history segment and back ground of those buried in the cemetery. Many of these folks were part of the heritage of Cabinet and Clark Fork, ID. We have been accepting donations to pay for the fuel and materials to clear the land and towards building this kiosk (gazebo). If you are interested in donating there is a gofundme account.

We are listed as Cabinet Idaho Cemetery Association. We also have a Facebook Page under the same name.

If you have any knowledge of the people buried in this cemetery I would appreciate talking with your further.
Thanks for the update! That's great news. What a worthy cause. We'll be in touch when we come up to our property in CF this summer. I wish I could provide details about the graves, but as a newcomer I'm just curious about the pioneers of Cabinet. Long lives, short lives--they each have a story. Best of luck collecting as many stories as you can.

Pacalady's post on the first page contained several of the names listed on the Facebook page, but she hasn't been active on C-D for many years.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,271 times
I have been writing stories told to me by Catherine Palmer Owen who lived in Cabinet from 1919 to 1931. She is now 104 and remembers the names and events clearly and in detail. I am not the best of writers but would love to share her story with interested individuals. Please let me know if you are interested.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGeL71B50 View Post
I have been writing stories told to me by Catherine Palmer Owen who lived in Cabinet from 1919 to 1931. She is now 104 and remembers the names and events clearly and in detail. I am not the best of writers but would love to share her story with interested individuals. Please let me know if you are interested.

Yes! Absolutely! What a fantastic opportunity to hear from a resident of Cabinet while it was still a town. I'm sure we'd all appreciate if you would share stories here in this forum, but if you have another format in mind, just let us know how to access it. Please give our best to Mrs. Owen. Perhaps it will bring her joy to know that Cabinet still attracts new residents who love the area and want to call it home!

Craigermags hasn't visited our forum since 2017, but in case he stops by, I'd like to add that we did visit the old Cabinet cemetery a few weeks ago, and we were amazed at all the hard work the dedicated group of locals have done, clearing the brush and trees from the old grave sites. I was surprised to see that the cemetery was actually in use up until the 1950s.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 1,905 times
Quote:

Yes ...I remember....the scene with the mountain and our little cabin had the the smellof lilacs picked ...Made my heart skip a beat ...Thank you

Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 1,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchambliss View Post
Yes ...I remember....the scene with the mountain and our little cabin had the the smellof lilacs picked ...Made my heart skip a beat ...Thank you
If I could paint ...I'd have so many scenes to share....I could tell you some really hard times we had ...Espcially in the winter ....but people have a hard time believing ...Sobeit

Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,705,220 times
Quote:

Wow, CFF...this is the first I’ve noticed your painting. That’s incredibly lovely. You have a real talent. I love this.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:24 PM

Tchambliss, glad to see you're back! Your comment on my lilac painting meant more to me than I can say. I'm so glad my painting could make a little bit of the past come alive for you. I'm also sure that those days weren't all summer and lilacs. We'd love to read about the good times as well as the hard times if you feel like sharing.

Misty, thanks so much! One reason I feel so connected to Clark Fork is that there are motifs for paintings everywhere you turn, any time of year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho