Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM

15 posts, read 56,933 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information on small towns near larger cities (5000 up) for retirement relocation. Employment is not a problem or consideration.

I guess along the lines of -

TWIN FALLS: Hansen, Castleford, Buhl, Filer, Murtaugh, Hagerman, Kimberlyetc.

JEROME: Wendell, Gooding, Shoshone, Dietrich, Bliss, Hazelton, etc.

CALDWELL: Notus, Homedale, Parma, Melba, Wilder, Marsing, etc.

POCATELLO: Arimo, American Falls, etc

IDAHO FALLS: Shelley, Firth, Ririe, Rigby, etc.

BURLEY/RUPERT: Declo, Malta, etc.

LEWISTON: Lapwai, Culdesac, Genesee, etc.

MOSCOW: Potlatch, Troy, etc.

COEUR D'ALENE: Rathdrum, Post Falls, Plummer, etc.

SANDPOINT: Clark Fork, Bonners Ferry, etc.

I mean I can read a map. And as you can see 5,000 is a city to me. We love the quiet life of small towns but would like to be within easy driving distance of larger towns (or as I call anything above 5000 - Cities).

Any recommendations would be sincerely appreciated. Will be about 8-9 months before the move, just planning ahead.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Love just reading this board and the pictures are awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times
Midvale is a small town close (20 miles) from a larger city. It is about 45 miles from Ontario Oregon where we do almost all of our shopping and only 90 miles from Boise for big time shopping if you feel you need something like the big box stores. Nice place to live. A few good places for sale here too. Not much for employment. Friendly little town. I think I have the link for it in my profile or where I live. We have only lived in Midvale a little over a year but have been in the area for 15 years. We really like it here and find the distances to shopping not a problem.

Chris

Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Maybe you should tell us more about the type of weather that suits you best, whether you like being in the woods or in a more open area, some of your hobbies, do you like to ski, hunt, things that better tell us what type of area and lifestyle you would like.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 PM

15 posts, read 56,933 times
No skiing, too old for that. Hunt and fish but it is more fun when you make a day or weekend of it, in other words when you make it special. We like to watch high school sports but I'd assume that most of these little towns have high schools. I guess if I had to choose between woods and open area, I'd choose the open area. Nowadays I wouldn't do it, but a place I'd be tempted to not even lock my doors.
Friendly folks are important.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,633 times
I'd have to say that Genesee is a wonderful community to consider. Friendly people and a great location. It has a small population and is located on the Palouse (open rolling country). It's halfway between Moscow and Lewiston so you would be 15 miles from either one. The community is very supportive of the local school district and high school sports are major events in this town (Go Bulldogs!).

Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM

265 posts, read 686,626 times
By any chance would anyone like to copy paste the city list that was presented and place in bold beside the cities or towns for that matter placing beside them as either wooded or open plain...please. thank you jim.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,132 times
I live in Plummer, and can see the Lights from the High School football field on game days.. We currently rent a house in the small town, and have acreage down the road we intend to build on..
The hunting is excellent, its close to lake Cda and St. Joe river for fishing, and land is still fairly cheap.. I saw 20 acres for $60K recently.. Could probably hunt out your front door like at my place
We are 34 miles to CdA, and about 40 miles from Spokane.. Worley is a bit closer to CdA and Spokane..

Hope this helps..

Hope this helps..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho