Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,032 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Rexburg from North Carolina (It doesn't get cold very often). What sort of precautions do I need to take with my car? I know it gets pretty cold here! Do I need something different than 10w30 oil? Do I need to have more antifreeze in the cooling system? Better battery? etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
I run a 5w oil in my cars, it's what my mechanic suggested and makes sense as it's a thinner grade, check with your mechanic though as the engine can make all the difference. My radiator is always good for -50*F and make certain your battery and can pull a cold crank. Good wipers, decent all season radials if you're used to snow and have at least front wheel drive, otherwise you might want to consider a well sipped tire like Blizzaks or even studs if you do any rural or over the road driving during winter.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,275 times
Don't forget to keep an emergency kit in your vehicle. I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting, but I usually keep several hand warmer packets, 2 blankets, socks, hat, mittens, boots, jumper cables, road flares, a flashlight (with good batteries), bottled water, and some energy bars. I also make sure I have food and water for my dogs when they're with me (which is most of the time). Chances are, you'll never need the stuff. But, it could make all the difference if you do break down, find yourself in a ditch, or come across someone else in trouble on the road.
I would find a good mechanic and have your vehicle checked out. They can load test your battery, make sure your coolant is rated appropriately, etc. It's not expensive and it will give you peace of mind.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,585 times
tdna good information for us flatlanders moving north

Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Some simple things I learned decades ago still have merit:

Turn off all your accessories the evening before...radio, wipers, heat, fan, etc. Every little bit of battery power saved on an extremely cold morning helps. (I know, some will say it doesn't matter with today's circuitry, but I don't buy it).

If the car doesn't start, don't keep trying it. That will just burn the charge in the battery. Take a 10 minute break, then try again.

Old skool for sure, but some concepts stand the test of time!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Don't forget to keep an emergency kit in your vehicle. I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting, but I usually keep several hand warmer packets, 2 blankets, socks, hat, mittens, boots, jumper cables, road flares, a flashlight (with good batteries), bottled water, and some energy bars. I also make sure I have food and water for my dogs when they're with me (which is most of the time). Chances are, you'll never need the stuff. But, it could make all the difference if you do break down, find yourself in a ditch, or come across someone else in trouble on the road.
I would find a good mechanic and have your vehicle checked out. They can load test your battery, make sure your coolant is rated appropriately, etc. It's not expensive and it will give you peace of mind.
Thanks tdna, I was thinking about the first aid, but my French Dips were done and well...

Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,680 times
Trickle chargers for battery. Used one on my 2002 Harley and have not had to buy a new battery yet.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:52 AM

274 posts, read 952,392 times
Cleosmom mentioned good wipers which is absolutely a must, but make sure you get the non-freeze type. You don't see them as much in the south, but without them you'll be using a glacier to try to clear your windshield. One other thing you'll want to keep available is a brush with a long handle. Ohterwise you might come out of the office to find 6 inches of snow just waiting to avalanche into your driver seat as soon as you open the door.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
Don't forget a small shovel and some cat litter or sand. And Blizzaks are awesome!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
Also get a good quality ice scraper / brush with an extendable handle and keep your window washer resevoir full. I always keep some extra coats in the trunk in case the kids don't bring them, and also a couple of mylar emergency blankets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho