Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times

Advertisements

Fab, it sounds to me that you'd like NYC, San Francisco or Chicago. They would have the source of intellect stimuli you crave; museums, theatre, concerts etc. etc. All three of those large cities also have the blends of population you're seeking as well. Are there any chances of you being able to seek these areas out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 AM

411 posts, read 1,600,927 times
Fab, Cleo'smom has a good point. Find a suburb outside of a major city and investigate. I'm from NY originally and wound up in Oregon by way of California. I wouldn't go back to NY to live but visit my family every year. I get my museum fix, NYC fix, diversity fix and ethnic-food fix. Then I come back to Oregon, happy to do it. Don't feel bad - we lived in the Bahamas for three years and I detested it.

To each his own. Best of luck!

Last edited by Kathleenh54; 06-13-2007 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 06-17-2007, 06:51 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times
Thumbs up Very Interesting Viewpoint - I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaperfectplace View Post
Fabforever I understand. My wife and I moved here 3 years ago thinking we had found the paradise not yet discovered by the rest of the world. We had lived in the Denver area for almost 7 years and were looking for something similiar but smaller. We looked over data in various books and websites and thought --- this is it. After 4 months of living here, I realized that we had made a big, big mistake.

Now don't get me wrong. Boise is a fabulous city. It has taken me awhile to understand this place. Boise has low crime. Proximity to wilderness, without alot of people, is literally within a few miles of downtown. Take a trip to Ketchum or Stanley and you realize that there aren't many places left like this in the lower 48. House prices are low (property taxes are not) compared to cities of similiar stature.

My thoughts on why I find Boise "lacking" is that it has a suburban mentality. Whether you are in Eagle, the North End, West Boise, even downtown --- everything feels the same. But that is ok, many people love the suburbs. In fact, if you ask most Americans, they prefer the suburbs. My wife and I live 2 miles from downtown Boise and it is no different from Highlands Ranch, Colorado (the epitome of the suburbs of Denver) except that the traffic is better here.

There are many changes happening in Boise. In 10 years, Boise is going to probably structure itself in a way that there will be more diversity (I don't mean ethnic) within it's neighborhoods. The downtown is becoming more vibrant with restruarants, music venues, and retail. The problem is ... I don't want to wait 10 years to get out of the suburban feel. Many that love Boise today will probably hate Boise in 10 years.

With the influx of people from other states, change is inevitable. The suburban mentality of Boise will stand strong, but eventually, it will change.

I just don't want to wait 10 years.

Fab, check out the west coast cities of Bend, Portland, Boulder, Austin...these are cities that sound like you. They have many (not all) of the attributes of Boise yet are quite different. Housing is expensive in all of these cities because you get more than you would expect from cities of their size.
notaperfectplace,

I enjoyed your post. I found it refreshing. Like every city, Boise has positive parts to it. However, I believe you summed up a feeling I've never really known how to put in words before about the overall "suburban mentality." Many will disagree with that view, but that's what I found there as well.

It's good that we all like different things. The WORST thing to do is remain in a location where you are not happy. Life is too short.

I hope you find what you are looking for Fab, ever considered British Columbia and places like Vancouver or Victoria?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:49 AM

12 posts, read 81,924 times
Sorry to butt in here but I am Idaho native and the laid back style of life here is why a lot of people move here. They are so tired of the "rat race" they welcome the open spaces and small town feel of this state. Sounds tho some miss the "rat race" once they get here. Give me the life style of small town USA anyday. I have friends that are of other cultures and enjoy them so not all "white" here. Even tho I am "white" or should say mixed with Native american. I find lots of people here from other countries. What do we have that you DON"T in large cities? Space, trees, mountains and rivers. You can stand outside and see stars at night. So if living in 200 story apartments is your "style" you won't find it here. Thank God. We enjoy going to the mountains and diving less than a 1000 miles to find them in all their beauty. Rivers that run clear and fish in them. So if wall to wall people is your thing yes Idaho isn't for you. Hsave you looked out a window and seen the birds> Look at all the critters we have even in our small towns that if you were in a large city you wouldn't see unless you take a "country drive", Guess you can say I love Idaho amd all it has to offer. No need for skyscrapers and "pubs" We get our intertainment from nature. Phizless

Last edited by phizless; 06-19-2007 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 AM

110 posts, read 572,675 times
Thank you for all the replies! We have decided to move and we are very happy with our new choice of state. For those who love Idaho, I have a house for sale! :0D Good Luck for those staying and those moving, as I said before, it is all about what makes you happy and there is no comparison here. Idaho is just not the place for me - but to others it is paradise! Fab

Old 06-22-2007, 08:13 PM

13 posts, read 77,210 times
I hope you are happy with your new change. Idaho is not for everyone, and sometimes you can try your best to feel right, but your gut instinct tells you something else. I just moved to another smaller town and i am having a hard time getting use to the small town than the city life. So i know how hard it is. Good luck to you change, and i hope you the best

Old 07-07-2007, 06:39 AM

12 posts, read 81,924 times
Where is the house for sale? My sis from L.A. is looking for 1 in Nampa to move to.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabforever View Post
Thank you for all the replies! What I think Boise, lacks is not only diversity but things to do. There are no good theaters, concerts, art exhibits, orchestras, museums and etc. Every show, exhibit or concert usually skips Idaho - although lately we have been getting some of them. The little there is never changes, so once you've been there, you have seen it all. Even the fun festivals like the Boise River Festival has ended. I see little effort in bringing more cultural activities to the city. A lot of the things kids in other states learn by seeing, our kids learn by reading about it – believe me, I know, I teach here.

As far as diversity, I am not saying people are shallow or plain, I am saying that Boise has no African Americans and very little of other ethnicities, just look around!
My 3 year old daughter saw a black man on the street the other day and she asked if he was the presenter of the ‘Reading Rainbow’ – a children’s show on PBSkids. I thought it was sad that this presenter on TV is the only black person she sees on a daily basis. For me, it is important that my kids grow up with different cultures and races; I think it only enriches their lives.

Also, for someone who loves the arts, it is a very difficult place to live. However for those that love hiking, biking and camping - yes, Idaho is paradise. Like ‘notaperfectplace’ said, it is improving, but much like him, I don’t think I will be able to wait another 10-20 years to feel like I fit here. But thank you for all of your suggestions, we have definitely decided to move, we are now looking into different states.

Don’t get me wrong, we had two beautiful daughters here and this state has helped both my husband and I with our careers, but I think it is time to move on.

Thanks again, Fab
Hey Fab,

We use to live in the Boise area and I have to agree with much of what you say. One thing that I was shocked about was the rudness of many of the people there. When we went to the stores the checkers made us feel that we needed to provide the service to them rather than... Also at first we thought we had found a certain paradise like notaperfectplace stated but after a while it became clear that the fakes that we met revealed themselves soon after and it actually felt as if we were in an episode of the Twilight Zone. I met some rather odd folks that to me had a very critical opinion of many things but could never see their own faults and if you identified them to them well you just created an enemy for life. This leads me to the anger quotient of Idaho which I found most prevalent for the most part. If you don't cotton to the majority rule then you automatically out-cast yourself. The biggest shame I found was when I told people that I was born and raised in Idaho (which I truly was) and I was told yeah but you were gone long enough that you're an outsider, that's redneck!

If you want a state side London maybe you should look at the area that we moved to, Seattle. With Redmond near by, the home of Microsoft your husband will work and for much more money. Good luck and really it's time for you to go...

Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 AM

9 posts, read 32,338 times
Hello fabforever,
I read your post and I can definitely relate. I grew up in CA and lived there until I was 19 before moving to MO. I am now 23 and I'm still trying to adjust to the culture here. After being miserable and bored for nearly 3 years, I finally realized that I will never achieve the happiness I once felt in CA; I can only make an effort to adapt to the culture here.

You need to seriously question what is truly important in your life. Is cultural diversity important to you or does the beauty and splendor of ID (more than) compensate for the areas that are lacking? I can tell you with conviction that life is too short to (voluntarily) live in a place that makes you miserable. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: