Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,968,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrat View Post
Why exactly do you think it would be unsafe? You think the local rednecks are gonna come lynch you in your yard? You've never been there, never left CA in fact, yet somehow came to the conclusion that people in Idaho may be dangerous? Isn't that having an uneducated, preconceived notion of people? Don't they call that racism Juan?
He confessed his ignorance being a possibility due to mere word of mouth as a source, and he put sufficient information into the post to not come across like a troll, so those of us who are sick of the NID stereotypes give posts like this a break.

There are states I love in the South where I've personally verified that good people are plentiful, and I'd still not want to venture into certain locales of those states without a gun and someone who's got my back. I can understand how deep back country and rugged towns in the Northwest could make a non-white, lifelong SoCal resident apprehensive, so long as they come at it with genuine curiosity as opposed to presumptuous attacks on the local culture/disposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 05:26 PM

7,342 posts, read 12,565,936 times
Besides, I think Juan is gone from our little corner of cyberspace. Maybe he found out what he wanted to know? In that case, mission accomplished! But a "Hey, thanks, guys" would have been kind of nice...

Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 PM

When their rep says 10, I tend to not expect much anymore. I had to get used to some of the etiquette on these forums myself when I first started (being my reactionary self, I had a brief altercation with Idaho forum's very own Sage, in fact, at which end I got to thank him for being a compassionate moderator, as I didn't even know what that was when I let into him).

I try to view myself as writing for many people with similar inquiries (or assertions as they'd be in most political threads... not many questions there, aside from the rhetorical variety). This chat thread forum stuff is no road to public influence and widespread recognition, but I've seen instances providing evidence that it circulates more widely than one would presume just by the number of explicit member responses and rep points.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 PM

Words of wisdom, Stingray. There's more than one hopeful seeker out there who'll get something positive out of what they find, and we'll never know about it. I've learned many things that way, too. I guess the grumpy educator in me surfaced for a second...

Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 PM

*Chuckling to self*... thanks, and I know how it goes... you'd be putting it lightly if you called me a "grumpy" anything. I'm trying to feel people out before I take anything too personally anymore, but some things are just really grating. Prejudiced generalizations are what throw me into "here's how it is" or "let me show you a mirror" mode, and I really do have a sort of addiction to righteous indignation and the vehement confrontations that ensue.

Of course, that affinity does come with a desire for acknowledgement, either in the form of another perspective, a furtherance of my perspective, or just simple gratitude, hence me seeing where you're coming from. I do have to confess to vanity since it is sort of between the lines in what I write (I love written expression and refinement of perspective), and it's really more amusing than offensive when people try to attack that aspect of my presentation. If debates were cat fights, people who spout off logical fallacies would be my version of mice.

And of course, in this context, it's fun to help people figure things out while getting the opportunity to reminesce about the place I grew up and relate to my good ol' neighbors in regional perspective, and any gratitude and acknowledgement is certainly appreciated.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:05 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 381,845 times
I moved to Idaho to get away from democrats. I encourage them to stay in California or whatever state their party has ruined.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
*Chuckling to self*... thanks, and I know how it goes... you'd be putting it lightly if you called me a "grumpy" anything. I'm trying to feel people out before I take anything too personally anymore, but some things are just really grating. Prejudiced generalizations are what throw me into "here's how it is" or "let me show you a mirror" mode, and I really do have a sort of addiction to righteous indignation and the vehement confrontations that ensue.

Of course, that affinity does come with a desire for acknowledgement, either in the form of another perspective, a furtherance of my perspective, or just simple gratitude, hence me seeing where you're coming from. I do have to confess to vanity since it is sort of between the lines in what I write (I love written expression and refinement of perspective), and it's really more amusing than offensive when people try to attack that aspect of my presentation. If debates were cat fights, people who spout off logical fallacies would be my version of mice.

And of course, in this context, it's fun to help people figure things out while getting the opportunity to reminesce about the place I grew up and relate to my good ol' neighbors in regional perspective, and any gratitude and acknowledgement is certainly appreciated.
And I certainly appreciate lucidity combined with eloquence and perspective! And I like good writing, too!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:26 PM

43 posts, read 106,943 times
Juan,
If you are still reading this thread I would (adding to MSR's post) check out Blue Cross of Idaho (Idaho Health Insurance) or Regence Blue Shield of Idaho (Idaho Health Insurance). On there you can find a provider and see how many LMFT's there are in the areas you are considering. Not all LMFT's contract with insurance, but it should give you a good idea. I worked for BCI and do know that for the most part BCI (the largest health insurance company in Idaho) does not cover Marriage and family counseling. Just something to consider.

Good luck

Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
And I certainly appreciate lucidity combined with eloquence and perspective! And I like good writing, too!
Thanks, I appreciate that.

I do enjoy the Internet. Gotta love making chit-chat and engaging in deep discussions with people all over the world from the comfort, privacy, and autonomy of a living room.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 AM

10 posts, read 39,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
He confessed his ignorance being a possibility due to mere word of mouth as a source, and he put sufficient information into the post to not come across like a troll, so those of us who are sick of the NID stereotypes give posts like this a break.

There are states I love in the South where I've personally verified that good people are plentiful, and I'd still not want to venture into certain locales of those states without a gun and someone who's got my back. I can understand how deep back country and rugged towns in the Northwest could make a non-white, lifelong SoCal resident apprehensive, so long as they come at it with genuine curiosity as opposed to presumptuous attacks on the local culture/disposition.
You're more than welcome to give posts like this a break, though I don't know why you felt the need to tell me that.
I'll continue to call out ignorant statements as I see 'em, if that's okay with you? Thanks.
Can someone tell me what NID might stand for? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho