U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM

185 posts, read 421,873 times
Default Scenic roads btw Lewiston and St. Maries?

Have a road trip scheduled for late Spring/early Summer,
and haven't been on any of the roads east of US-95 btw
Lewiston and St. Maries *except* for US-95, Spiral Hwy,
and SR-5.

Would like to take one route up and a different route back
btw Lewiston and St. Maries. White Pine Scenic Byway is
the only designated scenic route in that region.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM

12,344 posts, read 5,759,318 times
It would be a long route, but you could go hwy 12 towards Missoula (pretty drive), take 90 west, get off at St. Regis and come back the St Joe River Road. It's way out of the way (solid day's drive) but some beautiful country, and mostly paved, there is only a short stretch of gravel on the St. Joe road where it goes into Montana.

There is also a decent paved road out of St. Maries that runs south, through Santa, Clarkia and a number of other small towns. IIRC it will connect via pavement to 95, but quite a ways north of Lewiston. If you don't mind gravel, you can go down that same road, turn towards Elk River, go past the Dworshack Reservoir and come out on Hwy 12 by Orifino. It's a real nice loop and only adds a few hours. I'll check the route number tonight.

How much of a hurry are you in, and are you opposed to driving gravel roads? And when will you be taking this trip, a number of the roads I'm telling you about are closed in the winter. Opps, just reread your post, late spring/early summer should be fine, most roads should be open by June.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is also a decent paved road out of St. Maries that runs south, through Santa, Clarkia and a number of other small towns.

How much of a hurry are you in, and are you opposed to driving gravel roads?
Thank you, Toyman! Actually, will be spending two nights in Lewiston
and will do the Lewiston-Avery-Lewiston loop as a one day drive. We
took Spiral Hwy-95-5 the last time around as it was cold and windy
that day. That restaurant/coffee shop at southeast jct of 95/5 in
Plummer is pretty good.

Have done the Lolo Pass loop a few times as well as out to Thompson
Falls and Missoula. Lolo to Kooskia in the morning is the best way to
do it IMO.

We might decide to skip the Avery trip, and focus on the side roads
off US-12 from Kendrick to Orofino to Wieppe to Greer, etc. Am not
sure whether the roads east of US-95 to St. Maries are worth the
time or not as a friend told us that we'd be better off staying with
US-95. Still, everyone has a different perspective!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Are you going to be on a bike? I'm thinking more and more about a dual sport, there are lots of gravel roads (forest service) that would be fun to do on one, plus you can still run pavement. There are some great loops to do in the area you're looking at then. I gather from your web site you'll be on cruisers, so I'd guess much dirt is out.

If you do ride the Joe up to Avery, I really recommend that you go a little further, Avery is where that road starts getting nice, and it's really a spectacular ride. It just sucks though that it's up and back unless you want to run dirt, and even then a loop is way out of the way. Avery is it for fuel going up that way. For lunch if you're looking, there's a good little pub in Calder (1/2 way from St. Maries to Avery) plus a place in Avery.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Are you going to be on a bike? I'm thinking more and more about a dual sport, there are lots of gravel roads (forest service) that would be fun to do on one, plus you can still run pavement. There are some great loops to do in the area you're looking at then. I gather from your web site you'll be on cruisers, so I'd guess much dirt is out.
Yes, we'll be on bikes. My bud rides a V-Strom while I'll be on a cruiser
although I'm not adverse to gravel/dirt roads such as the one out of
St. Regis to Avery.

Quote:
you do ride the Joe up to Avery, I really recommend that you go a little further, Avery is where that road starts getting nice, and it's really a spectacular ride. It just sucks though that it's up and back unless you want to run dirt, and even then a loop is way out of the way. Avery is it for fuel going up that way. For lunch if you're looking, there's a good little pub in Calder (1/2 way from St. Maries to Avery) plus a place in Avery.
Well, if we had the time for the St. Regis to St. Maries stretch, would want
to start out of St. Regis and work our way down to Avery. Unfortunately, we
have to set aside one day from Boise to Clarkston/Lewiston, one day for North
Central Idaho, and one day to get back to Boise. So, we just want to make
the most of our day there.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM

The route I was thinking is Highway 3, it parallels 95 and will take you out on hwy 12 a few miles up from Lewiston. As long as you don't mind gravel, you might turn off the St. Joe River road at Marble Creek and head south. There is a lot of old logging history and some signed historical points. You can come out on Hwy 3 (Pavement) in Clarkia if you've had enough dirt. Otherwise, head south through Elk River, down along the Dworshack Reservior and back onto Hwy 12 at Orifino. It's a pretty ride.

I'd say you could run up from Lewiston, run all the way up the St. Joe River road till pavement ends, backtrack and cut back via the Marble Creek loop in one day. It would be a long day, but there is some really pretty country. Being willing to take some dirt roads opens up lots of possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho