U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,549,390 times

Advertisements

ejay sounds like the type of mormons you find in utah... assertive and over the top.... and they wonder why people move away from utah thinking.. "thank god I'm outta there"
I grew up mormon in Seattle, but am not active because well.. I'm gay and that doesn't go over too well.. but I remember being a young teenager and everyone being so annoyed by the new family that moved into the ward from the motherland (utah)... because they were so over the top about everything... gasping at the sight of caffinated soda's at church functions.. etc... anyway...
the person who said that mormons are people.. and are not perfect... they are spot on.. hell I'm a mormon technically.. and I have filthy language and I date people of the same sex... booga booga booga!!!! (scary huh) and I live here in idaho...
take it with a pinch of salt and let it roll off you.. and know that there are all kinds of people here in idaho... take it from a big ole homo ex-mormon... idaho is not that bad..
with my situation.. I don't have to worry about what the mormons say.. because they steer clear of me and my boyfriend... for whatever reasons they feel... lol My parents are mormon.. and it makes my mom chuckle... so.. keep your head up and move on... there's more to idaho than the damn temples...and the people who frequent them...

Last edited by boiseguy; 01-25-2008 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 AM

1,355 posts, read 3,925,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Ejay,

As a moderator, I am telling you that due to the widespread use of the term, we are NOT going to ask members to cease using the term. Enough LDS-believing people I know personally use the term "Mormon" and I see it often enough in press (uhhh...yeah....type in "mormon.com"):
Mormon.org
You are 100% correct, Sage. In fact some of the tv commercials that the Church runs encourage people to "ask their Mormon neighbor" about the Church. The Church asks the media to use the full name of the Church in articles but they leadership is smart enough to know that the term is out there and we might as well go with it.

You have the support of this Mormon

Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 AM

347 posts, read 594,549 times
Boisieguy. Point taken. I am sorry I came across as something that I am not. I was only trying to make a point. With the "Mormon" speech. My point is just because some one says something does it make it right? What is the difference between calling your self a mormon or a latter day saint? I guess that should be my question. What is the true intention behind using the term? That's all.. Nothing negative in hind sight I should have thought of a better way of saying that. My bad. And as far as you being gay, to me I have no problem with it. I have learned that to judge you is to judge myself. And if I am focusing on what you are doing, how is that helping me become a better human being by judging you? I do believe in live and let live. A pratice too few christians pratice.

So any time you are coming up to cda shoot me an email and I will buy you lunch and have a beer. We have more in common than you know my friend... And yes I said beer...

Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,549,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
Boisieguy. Point taken. I am sorry I came across as something that I am not. I was only trying to make a point. With the "Mormon" speech. My point is just because some one says something does it make it right? What is the difference between calling your self a mormon or a latter day saint? I guess that should be my question. What is the true intention behind using the term? That's all.. Nothing negative in hind sight I should have thought of a better way of saying that. My bad. And as far as you being gay, to me I have no problem with it. I have learned that to judge you is to judge myself. And if I am focusing on what you are doing, how is that helping me become a better human being by judging you? I do believe in live and let live. A pratice too few christians pratice.

So any time you are coming up to cda shoot me an email and I will buy you lunch and have a beer. We have more in common than you know my friend... And yes I said beer...
cheers....

Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 AM

66 posts, read 209,536 times
ejay...I hate to have to tell you this, because you were so adamant and blunt...heh...but while I find neither offensive (something in the scriptures about being easily offended, isn't there?) I find the incorrect spelling of Latter-day Saints more of a concern than the use of the term "Mormon." We of the Utah-based Church have always been called "Mormons" and have used the term ourselves (remember "True blue, through and through?" The question wasn't "Are you a Latter-day Saint!"). Mormon himself was a great man. The church's relatively recent stance about being called "Mormon" has nothing to do with the pejorative use of the term and everything to do with being clear about Him whom we follow. It also helped a bit in the early days of the Net, when most "Mormon" websites were put up by those with a bone to chew (the church has now decided to deal with that by putting up its own "Mormon" website, previously cited here, so that when people type "Mormon" into Google they will get that one along with the others).

However, the Utah-based church spells the name "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," no capital on the D. So if you're going to get, you know, adamant and blunt...keep that in mind. The main Midwestern splinter group that used the Latter Day spelling has now changed its name, but there are smaller groups with which I would prefer not to have the Utah-based church confused!

Tongue in and out of cheek, but it is true that someone who is going to criticize out to be careful not to lay themselves open... :^ )

Moderator: Lifelong Mormon here, 41-plus years--thank you for your decision. While it's true that the church encourages us to use the full name of the church, Mormon's been in use a long time and most of us do use it in casual conversation. Even President Hinckley was known to use it now and again in interviews. (My youngest was baptized yesterday, the day of President Hinckley's funeral).

Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM

59 posts, read 152,710 times
I'm almost afraid to ask but I;m moving to the idaho falls rural area in months. My husband and I will know NO ONE My husband is re-cooping from his second bout of colon cancer and during this time I really took courage from the local Baptist church. Is there any Baptist or Assembly of God churches out there?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 PM

2,678 posts, read 4,455,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie missouri View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask but I;m moving to the idaho falls rural area in months. My husband and I will know NO ONE My husband is re-cooping from his second bout of colon cancer and during this time I really took courage from the local Baptist church. Is there any Baptist or Assembly of God churches out there?
I go to an AG church. Baptists are everywhere, aren't they?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 AM

4,101 posts, read 10,867,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie missouri View Post

Yes, there are Southern Baptists churches here. You can even pick the size There's one that is fairly large and another that is really small.

Not sure about AG, but I think there is one.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM

59 posts, read 152,710 times
Assembly of God

Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,976,104 times
We're getting off topic here. This thread is specifically to address people's specific concerns about the influence of the Mormon church on daily life in various parts of Idaho. Thanks.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho