Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 PM

110 posts, read 572,705 times

Advertisements

"Be aware though, if you have teenagers-- most Mormon parents won't allow their kids to date non-mormons. They don't want them to get attached and not marry in the temple, or do something "immoral", and from what I've seen there's just a general opinion among some (more conservative, it seems) Mormons that non-Mormon kids are less moral and more prone to get in trouble (which isn't necessarily true, but I and other non-Mormon kids my age got that a lot). FYI this was only about 7 years ago so I really doubt much has changed since then, but I think (hope!) as my generation (25 and younger) gets older maybe it will matter less"

I have been following this thread and I just wanted to say that the statement above is still true. I know Mormons who married non-Mormons, and to be able to get married at the temple, the non-Mormon converted to LDS. I don't know specifics about how it is done, but it happens. However as a teacher who taught High School here in ID for the past 7 years, I must say Mormon kids stick together and avoid 'dating' non Mormons or getting emotionally involved with non LDS kids, especially because getting married at the temple is a very special thing in the LDS religion. Also, I find it true that Mormon kids see non Mormon kids as less moral, I actually had conversations with LDS kids about this and I was told they have certain moral rules they must follow and these rules are not shared by non LDS kids. This is not to say they can't be friends, it all depends on the kid and how the parents think the non LDS kid can positively or negatively influence their child. But I guess this is true for all parents, we try to keep those negative influences away from our kids, it is just that Mormon kids have more ‘moral rules’ they need to follow, so it becomes harder to be close to a non LDS kid without breaking those rules. I could give some examples, but I think you guys get what I am trying to say! Fab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
The posts above are indeed based on personal experiences, and , in addition, that is all I can offer.

If you are Mormon you will be welcomed in Eastern Idaho. But I guess you already knew that.

If you are non-mormon, it isn't a problem. The nice thing about Pocatello-Idaho Falls is that everyone is welcomed! Yes, you see the usual Morman-inspired newspaper stories, (many of the newspapers offer a wedding section, and 9 out of 10 are mormans with descriptions of their missions.)

But this area has moved beyond "religion" as being a requirement to being an upstanding resident. The business commuity has overtaken this, (maybe it always has), but while Mormonism is still predominent here, it isn't any hindrance to moving to this area, which BTW, is one of the fastest growing areas of the US.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 PM

25 posts, read 117,334 times
Yes, pw72 mentioned, the religious demographics should not be a hindrance to anyone looking to move here. I hope I didn't scare anyone off with my comments, as anyone's personal experiences are a teeny tiny fraction of what really goes on. Many people in Idaho will tell you that attitudes are changing and have been for some time. The LDS-NonLDS division is far less noticable than in, say, some suburbs of Salt Lake and other places in Utah... Again, 90% of the people you'll meet in Idaho--Mormon or not--are nice, upstanding, friendly people. THe bad seeds stick out in everyone's memory and few will deny that most negative stereotypes of Mormons exist because of the overzealous 10% (or whatever percentage you want to attach to it)...which I suppose you could apply to any religion.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 AM

12 posts, read 40,941 times
In my humble opinion - I am a Christian living in SE Idaho. I live in a sub-division outside of Rigby and 98% of the people in my neighborhood are LDS (Mormons). They know I am a Christian and pretty much leave the proselytizing to the Mormon Missionaries. They accept us. They are decent, mostly friendly people in general, who work hard to live a good life and choose the right way (there are jerks everywhere). I know what I believe and I am sound in my faith (I can't be swayed) and they know what they believe. It is different so we leave each other alone. My relationship with my neighbors is more important than arguing about Mormonism. So SE Idaho is definitely Mormonized, but it isn't that bad. Learn about the religion before you come here and know where you stand, if that's an issue. That's my best advice. You can check out CARM, Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry for more information about the religion. Or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the "other" side.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 AM

82 posts, read 370,706 times
First the term Mormon is derogatory. It is just as bad as calling an African American the "n" word. So please don't use it.

<Religious debate portion deleted>

You will find the if you have a LDS neighbor that they are the kindness, most generous people you will ever come across. Instead of avoiding these people I say your best bet is to have them as a neighbor. Good people.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 07-04-2007 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Religious debate should be in the RELIGION forum section...please read the ToS re proper venue for topics

Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 AM

If Mormon is derogatory, then why the web site is named Mormon.org? Shouldn't it be name LDS.org? I don't know about where you live, but here in Boise it is common to call LDS people Mormons and they don't get upset about it. My neighbours actually joke about it and they call themselves mormons all the time! One day I saw all the extra food in their garage and they laughed saying it was the Mormon Wallmart.
This week my neighbour is cleaning our carpets and he said he is giving us 'The Mormon Discount' - usually the price his friends at church pay instead of the real price he usually charges everyone else. I knew about the 'Mormon Discount' which is usually given only to people at the church, so it is funny that he is cleaning our carpets for less considering we are not LDS. And yes, he actually said to me on the phone, I am charging you this much, and giving you the Mormon Discount! It was quite funny!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
The term is in WIDESPREAD use and is NOT used in a derogatory manner. I was with some MORMON friends yesterday and was asking them certain questions, and not once did they take exception to my use of the term, and trust me, they're pretty tight LDS members (Rexburg born and raised).

From the GLOSSARY at mormon.org:

MORMONS: This is a commonly used term for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

REF: Mormon.org - Mormons

Therefore, this will not be changed here on CD. If you wish to argue the merits or validity of the mormon/LDS faith, you will need to take that up in the religion forum here. In fact, there are already several threads on the issue.

Good luck with your crusade to change the naming convention....personally I think you have a seriously uphill battle when your own church doesn't support you...

Old 07-04-2007, 12:37 PM

82 posts, read 370,706 times
I am LDS, the term "mormon" was used by the people who persecuted, murdered, raped and drove those of the LDS Faith of of their homes. It is absolutely derogatory.

The LDS Church has a mormon.org site because that is a commonly used term by those researching. The Church has absolutely asked its members to not refer to themselves as Mormons because of this and they consider it derogatory.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:30 PM

I believe it is a regional thing then. Seriously I have a lot of Mormom friends and they even call themselves Mormons and they don't get offended at all. I mean, they use the term between themselves! There is even the term 'Jack Mormon', for those 'bad' Mormons who don't follow the book of Mormons.
I believe if the church thinks the term Mormon is bad, they would have tried to promote the term LDS more and defininetely they wouldn't have created a web site called Mormon.org; even if this is the most researched term - which tells me, it is also the most accepted term for the general population. So it will be hard to expect people to call mormons something else, since the term these days is not derogatory but a way of grouping everyone who attends the LDS church together. Anyway, this is for the religion forum, so I will stop here, just a few ideas from someone who has a lot of experience with the LDS religion!

Old 07-04-2007, 05:24 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabforever View Post
I believe it is a regional thing then. Seriously I have a lot of Mormom friends and they even call themselves Mormons and they don't get offended at all. I mean, they use the term between themselves! There is even the term 'Jack Mormon', for those 'bad' Mormons who don't follow the book of Mormons.
I believe if the church thinks the term Mormon is bad, they would have tried to promote the term LDS more and defininetely they wouldn't have created a web site called Mormon.org; even if this is the most researched term - which tells me, it is also the most accepted term for the general population. So it will be hard to expect people to call mormons something else, since the term these days is not derogatory but a way of grouping everyone who attends the LDS church together. Anyway, this is for the religion forum, so I will stop here, just a few ideas from someone who has a lot of experience with the LDS religion!
During the early development of the Church, the term Mormon was in fact derogatory. The term was synonymous with calling someone a Muslim terrorist today and was absolutely meant as a slander. The Church has always been the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but our detractors gloomed onto the name Mormon from the Book of Mormon. In any event, the derogatory intent of the term waned after the end of Plural Marriage (1890-1900) but returned during the Reed Smoot Senate hearings of 1904 to 1907. Sometime after that, the term Mormon stuck, but the original intent was forgotten.

Over the years, the Church has attempted many times to educate people about the proper name of the Church, but it finally gave up. It has also worked to our advantage for spreading the Gospel. Mormon is a familiar name. At the end of many Church media commercials, one will hear the announcer say “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.” There will then be a slight pause, and then the announcer will say, “The Mormons.”

The term doesn’t bother me a bit, but then again, I was a cop for 35-years, and I have grown numb to all the colorful metaphors that were used to describe me; however, this does not mean that other Latter Day Saints are not offended, as illustrated by some of the other posts. If a person has any sensitivity at all, he or she will be circumspect in their treatment of another’s religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho