Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
IMO our economy is too based tourism and service industries
That holds true for the rest of the country as well. Without getting too political, I am interested in seeing what changes are made in the legislature to drive manufacturing and production in the US.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
That holds true for the rest of the country as well. Without getting too political, I am interested in seeing what changes are made in the legislature to drive manufacturing and production in the US.
There is only one obvious truism in the long run: less is more. Reduce taxes, milking businesses, mandated compensation, and wasteful redtape and growth will occur. Promote small business and onshore outsourcing and US monies will circulate within the US.

Tax? Strangle businesses wit redtape? Force businesses to pay for health care. Prevent businesses from hiring the best man/woman for the job? Incentivize offshoring? And guess what? businesses are driven to headquarter overseas and push all manufacturing overseas.

Real simple.

S.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Real simple.
Yes, but how often do governments choose the simple and obvious solutions?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 AM

420 posts, read 1,193,771 times
The government gets away with it because people are lazy. They don't know the Constitution, the Bill of rights or the history behind them. They don't even go vote because their favorite TV show is on. If the people do not have an understanding of how our government was founded, how do we expect to compete internationally. Free enterprise and the small business owner are becoming extinct.

I still have faith that the folks in this country will make it right. They just need a little push in the right direction. Hunger can do strange thing's to a person. Kind of hard to listen to an Ipod or play video games when your gut is growling to be fed. It has a tendency to make you get up and go get a job so you can eat.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM

To keep this an Idaho-based thread, can people suggest up and coming political names regardless of party who understand Idaho's libertarian and conservative roots but can also lead our local economy?

Thanks, S.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Yes, but how often do governments choose the simple and obvious solutions?
LOL! This is the challenge.

Well-intentioned, newly-elected politicians move to DC and then all of a sudden start nesting with all the lobbyists, benefits, and invitations.

How about a Virtual Congress? We are getting closer to where this is possible--as it is the case with many international businesses.

Congressmen remaining in state and getting to know their constituents more intimately and therefore better representing their people? Say it ain't so!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Congressmen remaining in state and getting to know their constituents more intimately and therefore better representing their people? Say it ain't so!
With open access to their offices so that constituents can drop by and say hello.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM

403 posts, read 1,120,004 times
There's another issue which is rarely discussed: liberals organize better than Conservatives. Most Conservatives suffer from an individualism that blinds them from the value of banding together to get things done. The newly found "Tea Party" movement being one notable exception, which has formed out of desperation, as the country is under siege, the likes of which we've never previously encountered.

Let me give you an example of this "anti-group" dynamic, that while not germane to public policy, per se, will hopefully resonate with all of you here. Check around the City-Data forums and note how often Conservatives stick up for each other versus liberals. I think you'll find that liberals hang together to drown out the Conservative voice, and that Conservatives all debate separately, as if one another don't exist. Often, they'll even restate what another Conservative just said up the thread without acknowledging it.

Many of you no doubt deplore the liberals and their commentary in various threads on this site--I know I do. But when was the last time you rep'd and befriended a fellow Conservative? Is it as often as you've debated those you disagreed with?

I've been writing and debating public policy for many years, and it's the same wherever I go: liberals are wrong, but stick together in their "wrongness," in order to create a kind of false consensus. Conservatives essentially agree with each other, and rarely argue with each other directly in front of liberals, but don't publicly back each another.

What about Idaho? Well, Idaho is even more individualistic than your average Republican state. That may be its strength in day-to-day living, in that, people leave each other alone, aren't in each other's business, etc. But in regards to fighting left-wing politics, that lack of cohesive cooperation will sink the freedom ship faster. Food for thought.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Sage of Sagle,

Delete my thread if you like, but this thread is a bunch of rightwing shouting with little to add to the discussion of what is an appropriate, responsible, and equitable tax burden in Oregon, Idaho, or elsewhere. A bunch of insulting posts about how liberal and stupid California, Oregon, or whatever is is just as bad as what I posted, and serves no constructive purpose. Idaho, City Data, and this country deserve better conversations than the arrogant braying we hear everywhere these days. I like City Data, and I expect more from posters and moderators here. It is about discussion, not political monologues.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sage of Sagle,

Delete my thread if you like, but this thread is a bunch of rightwing shouting with little to add to the discussion of what is an appropriate, responsible, and equitable tax burden in Oregon, Idaho, or elsewhere. A bunch of insulting posts about how liberal and stupid California, Oregon, or whatever is is just as bad as what I posted, and serves no constructive purpose. Idaho, City Data, and this country deserve better conversations than the arrogant braying we hear everywhere these days. I like City Data, and I expect more from posters and moderators here. It is about discussion, not political monologues.
...Welcome to Idaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho