Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM

209 posts, read 240,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
See, I'm of the belief that one can get along anywhere, regardless of political persuasion, background, religion, etc, so long as one makes a concerted effort to do so.

That's good to hear, and is something I picked up on when I was in the area (even if the area's supposed reputation doesn't exactly lend itself to it).

Yeah, I know he was joking, I expected a comment like that out of him.

Most of my friends have opposing political beliefs from my own, and it hasn't proven to be a problem for me. Actually, I can't think of any friends that I have that actually agree with me.

But, I agree. Life is so much easier when politics aren't at the forefront of one's thoughts.
I love George S. Patton's quote "If everybody is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
I spent several months in Michigan and I really liked it and thought a lot of it was really beautiful. . I've always thought that if I didn't live here in north Idaho, I'd have gone for the UP or northern Maine. We used to drive up and take the ferry from Copper Harbor to Isle Royale to backpack. It's incredible up there.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiwin View Post
I live in Northern Michigan and believe me you don't want to move up here. I wish I could move to Idaho, but alas my business is here and only a few years to retirement. If I was starting out my life, I would move from this state faster than scat. I have lived here all my life and lived thru a few recessions and this is the worst I have seen.
I agree with you. I love to visit northern Mich and would be great to live in all that nature but there is no work. My dad is also nearing retirement (he is a business owner of 40yrs) and also has been saying this is the worst recession he has ever seen. When the recession started he would say how he thinks it will come back and it was bad in the 70's and 80's and it always comes back but this last year he has really changed his tune.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I spent several months in Michigan and I really liked it and thought a lot of it was really beautiful. . I've always thought that if I didn't live here in north Idaho, I'd have gone for the UP or northern Maine. We used to drive up and take the ferry from Copper Harbor to Isle Royale to backpack. It's incredible up there.
Thank you for the Michigan props, I do have special feelings in my heart for Northern Michigan. Yes I agree, Maine is fantastic (the fresh lobster is to die for) and Vermont was very appealing as well but the population density in those states is way to high for my liking. I just cannot wait to visit Idaho, I just know I am going to fall in love.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 AM

53 posts, read 133,784 times
As a Michigan native (Saginaw...I accept your sympathy) I too have considered Northern Michigan, around Traverse City or Leelanau County for relocation
. However, my fears are that any recovery in the economy will be years or decades away, long after many painful cuts in services of all kind, as well as closure of many small businesses. While this might well occur across the country I suspect MI will bear the brunt of these changes.

That is what led me to consider Idaho. I do think the two states have many similarities. I look forward to a drier winter climate in Idaho and think I will appreciate the less densely populated land. While I don't have any friends or family in Idaho at present, that can quickly change with a little time and a good attitude.

Keep us posted on your decisions as this all plays out. Maybe in the not so distant future we can both be celebrating our new home state!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sights_Set View Post
I just cannot wait to visit Idaho, I just know I am going to fall in love.
It is incredible...we bought property and came here to build a summer cabin 8 years ago and never left. We enrolled the kids in school and used the outhouse for the first winter so we could stay here. We've never regretted it.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 382,978 times
My ancestors all came to Michigan in the early to mid-19th century from New England. Some went up north and some to Wayne County (Redford Twp). I was born there but we left when I was 2. I hadn't been back until 2007 when we RV'd from Idaho to the Great Lakes. I fell in love with the beauty of northern Michigan and the UP in particular. I felt like I was home.

That said, can't blame you for wanting to leave as so many things have gone so wrong there. Have housing prices in Harbor Springs dropped yet?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
My ancestors all came to Michigan in the early to mid-19th century from New England. Some went up north and some to Wayne County (Redford Twp). I was born there but we left when I was 2. I hadn't been back until 2007 when we RV'd from Idaho to the Great Lakes. I fell in love with the beauty of northern Michigan and the UP in particular. I felt like I was home.

That said, can't blame you for wanting to leave as so many things have gone so wrong there. Have housing prices in Harbor Springs dropped yet?
I kinda of doubt that prices have dropped in Harbor Springs. I am sure that any properties on or near the lakes will be the last to fall, of course you know that is prime real estate. I do love it up north too and I am so encouraged when I hear that norther Idaho is quite reminiscent of norther Michigan (aside from the mountain ranges). I know that would make me feel at home there as I do when I am "up north."

Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
You can relocate to Idaho, but will you find a job? I have been reading, in other threads, that that can be a big issue. (The reason I'm reading this forum is, of course, that I too might have an interest in Idaho.) Here's a thread about people who relocated to Idaho and now want to leave.

Relocation from Michigan to Northern Idaho

Old 02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 382,978 times
I don't think North Idaho is much like Northern Michigan or the UP at all. It's mountainous and coniferous. The culture is different and there are no pasties anywhere! I came away from Northern Michigan thinking how completely different the country was from Idaho.

That's not to say you wouldn't like it as it is indeed beautiful but the geology and topography are completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho