U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:17 PM

243 posts, read 437,738 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed any particular trend among teens in Idaho? (specifically Idaho Falls) Could be fashion, recreation, speech, whatever. For example- texting is huge where I am now ( Minnesota) . Gaming is big among teen boys. The goth look seems to be fading although I'd say tattoos and piercings are way up. And bare midriffs in the summer whether the person has flat abs or flabby rolls- doesn't seem to matter.

So how about Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 PM

9,264 posts, read 12,410,480 times
IMO, North Idaho (I know you were asking about IF, sorry I've never been there) doesn't look a whole lot different from suburban Southern CA, teen-wise.

It's rather sad, really.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:01 PM

996 posts, read 1,993,489 times
I saw some purple hair on a kid in Boise , but he had teeth

Old 02-07-2010, 02:35 AM

291 posts, read 349,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
I saw some purple hair on a kid in Boise , but he had teeth
I hope he was a tourist DR.
Just send him back to Socal where he belongs.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 AM

208 posts, read 123,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
Has anyone noticed any particular trend among teens in Idaho? (specifically Idaho Falls) Could be fashion, recreation, speech, whatever. For example- texting is huge where I am now ( Minnesota) . Gaming is big among teen boys. The goth look seems to be fading although I'd say tattoos and piercings are way up. And bare midriffs in the summer whether the person has flat abs or flabby rolls- doesn't seem to matter.

So how about Idaho?
I am sorry that I can't speak for Idaho because we live in Michigan still (hoping to change that) but I am a middle school teacher in a combined junior/senior high school building which of course means I am interacting with teenagers all day, everyday. Plus I am the mother of a freshman in high school. I can tell you one thing and probably the only thing that affects teen trends and that is parenting or the lack there of. I dare say based on my many years of experience with this age group and with interacting with the parents that about 50% of the parents (in my area) are more interested in indulging and being buddies with their child and not being the "mean" mom or dad and the results typically negative. These parents often take no responsibility for their children's actions and some will even go so far as to come into the school and yell at the staff that there kid shouldn't be in trouble because it was some one else's fault, even in the face of video evidence. I believe this is why so many of the kids today are getting an attitude of entitlement. I can't tell you how many times I see kids coming to school with brand new ipods, expensive new shoes, new cell phones etc when they have achieved low grades and have been in trouble in and out of school. These ignorant parents are rewarding bad behavior and crippling their kids. This group of parents IMO are doing what feels good and is easiest for them and not doing the hard work of real parenting - they are being selfish and short sighted. Then I get the parents that will almost apologetically inform me at conferences that they are old school and that they punish their kids, make them take responsibility for their actions, do not let their kid dress how ever they would like, closely monitor their child's activities etc. They should be proud of themselves, I don't understand why they are so often apologizing for doing the right thing. I always respond with something to the effect, "That is so awesome that you actually parent them and are not their buddy. That is why your son/daughter is so sucessful at school and such a respectable kid. I think you have done a great job setting him/her up for success. I was raised old school and after witnessing what happens when there is no parenting I am so thankful that my parents decided give me a swift kick when I needed one." The parent usually laughs and tells me about I few swift kicks they got growing up and then we wonder together what ever happened to good old fashioned parenting. I could write pages on this subject but I will spare you all. I hope that my personal experience with this dynamic answers some of your questions.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 PM

1,043 posts, read 2,182,444 times
Just my opinion but it seems to me you see ALOT more "normal" looking kids here compared to where I came from in So Cal... Sure you see some kids that look like they fell head first into a tackle box, but they are few and far between in my experience. Even those kids are much more respectful than the miscreants I used to deal with... The baggy clothes "gangsta" look is more prevelant than Goth, I dont think I've seen any Goth types at all.. Maybe they're hanging out in cemetaries writing poetry about death though...LOL..

Old 02-07-2010, 03:29 PM

420 posts, read 733,779 times
Head first into a tackle box? Hope he used barbless hooks as jewelry. Good one.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:36 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,143,056 times
if you go to High School Seniors (http://www.sandpointphoto.com/seniors/index.htm - broken link), there are photos of a few HS seniors. Seem fairly representative enough...

S.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,978,938 times
Most kids around here dress much like suburban kids from Irvine, Del Mar, or Santa Barbara, with a huge amount of "farm casual" throw into the mix. (Trucker caps, Walls/Carhartt farm jackets, utlity boots) Have yet to see an actual goth, although I've seen a few teen girls we know dress the part on occasion. But nobody hard core. See some "skate punk" looks, but those clothes are now sold in really mainstream stores. I think what I see here is less "counter culture" at the teen level and more "dabbling in looks they see on TV". But really no "urban gansta" look since I think images of "Vanille Ice" still come to mind..and nobody wants to look like him.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 02-07-2010, 06:06 PM

9,264 posts, read 12,410,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
But really no "urban gansta" look since I think images of "Vanille Ice" still come to mind..and nobody wants to look like him.
I saw the "urban gangsta" look at the Del Taco in Post Falls, and all I kept saying to myself was "That's not what people in Idaho are supposed to look like".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho